Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-22, 09:16 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Just guessing but, more natural light is a good thing. No motors for the glass and only the shade reduces complexity. If certain models are equipped with solar roof panels that may take up space where the moonroof would need to go.
Old 12-30-22, 09:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It also adds light to the cabin.
Similar concept for panoramic sunroofs - only part of the roof opens, but it adds much more light into the cabin.
Old 12-30-22, 10:05 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Carplay can play hi-res audio via USB because that's considered auxiliary audio input. At least in LS500h you still have the jack so you can hook up your own Walkman and fire up properly coded audio source. That's all good. But the default system doesn't support local hi-res audio nor high bitrate BT stream codecs while it offers hi-res hardware output. That is something I find weird.

Stock audio in high end Lexus cars is already good enough for a run of the mill audio source. It was bangin last time I heard it in LS500h. Unless Mark Lenvinson has half-assed their upgrade for LS500 it should spread the stage and output more sound than the stock option. And of course it's going to be louder than the stock. But in order to do so you should feed it with something that has enough data. Unfortunately you can't just stick thumb drive with FLAC and call it a day, it won't work. Mark Levinson has some upscaling function in order to make MP3s sound better and recover highs but that thing is just like any upscaler out there: a compressor sort of. It just smooths jagged peaks.
Old 12-30-22, 10:12 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
No - this is much more handy....
L.O.L.

Dont do more than 2 per pocket or it'll stretch out and your CD's will fly out on every left hand turn. If you're fancy, you'll have another one on the passenger side.
Old 12-30-22, 10:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
The thought of seeing y'all flip through your 3 ring binder of CD's is killing me right now! Lmaoo.
ha. at some point i might burn a single cd of 'emergency' great music in case of no coverage someplace.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Looks like no sunroof/moonroof on the new Prius. Another cost cutting measure. Would have been the perfect vehicle to replace my Matrix
what’s the point of the glass not opening?
so in toronto this doesn't happen to you.

Old 12-30-22, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

10 years ago...2012 Toyota Prius

Originally Posted by Vladi
Carplay can play hi-res audio via USB because that's considered auxiliary audio input. .
So USB vs CD...what is superior?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so in toronto this doesn't happen to you.

I dunno Bit. In Florida…does this happen to you?

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
Just guessing but, more natural light is a good thing. No motors for the glass and only the shade reduces complexity. If certain models are equipped with solar roof panels that may take up space where the moonroof would need to go.
Look how innovative Toyota once was The Prius had a pano sunroof and solar panels

Solar Roof Panel feature provides Remote Air Conditioning. Simply push the air conditioning button on your key fob and use stored solar power to fuel the electronic air conditioning system before you head out to your car.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-30-22 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-30-22, 04:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

The Germans had that idea first....
Old 12-30-22, 06:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Germans had that idea first....
Germans had solar roof that fed their hybrid battery pack before Toyota, really?
Old 12-30-22, 07:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Germans had solar roof that fed their hybrid battery pack before Toyota, really?
One that operated internal venting.........Toyota just stole the idea.
Old 12-30-22, 07:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Back in 1991, I think Mazda was first with sunroof solar powered air conditioning during parking in their midsize 929/Sentia 3.0 V6 RWD.

Old 12-30-22, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Back in 1991, I think Mazda was first with sunroof solar powered air conditioning during parking in their midsize 929/Sentia 3.0 V6 RWD.

The 929 was considered full-size. The 626 was their mid-sizer, and the 323 their compact.
Old 12-30-22, 08:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

First one in the world was Audi. Mazda copied them the next year
Old 12-31-22, 07:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Mazda didn’t really activate the air conditioner. It just turned on fans to help remove hot air. The Prius actually activates the electric air conditioner via the hybrid battery…this loss off of battery is then recaptured via the solar panel

Toyota’s Remote Air Conditioning is a world-first. Thanks to the power available from Prius’s large capacity hybrid battery, it can run for up to three minutes before the car is occupied (such a system could not be supported by a conventional 12V car battery). It is activated by pressing the A/C button on the key fob for one second.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-prius-7.html

now for Mazda.

Don`t get the impression that solar power will transform the 929`s interior from sauna to iceberg in a matter of minutes. Mazda says the typical car parked in the sun for two hours could have interior temperatures of 167 degrees. By activating its own cooling fans the 929 can reduce that inside temperature to only 140 degrees.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...605-story.html

Anyways. The innovative comment was more along the lines of Toyota trying harder to make a better product in contrast to a generation of consumers who are simply willing accept less as time goes by. A lot of people are unaware that Toyota used to nicely dress the exposed painted metal door frames on\so when the door was closed, the interior occupants did not have not have to see the painted door frame from the interior of the car. The Prius did this. I see it all the time when I drive my 04 4R and go to my new 21.. it’s the little things that I feel are important. A basic sunroof as an option would be ideal on the new Prius. For the most part the new Prius is a massive improvement.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-31-22 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-31-22, 09:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
First one in the world was Audi. Mazda copied them the next year
yeah so no, it just run fans, at best trying to bring some outside air in, at apparently very slow speeds.

Prius charged the battery which was connected to electric AC, so AC could run without engine turned on. Pretty sure it was one of the first examples overall of remote A/C since other systems required engine to be turned on to run.
Old 12-31-22, 09:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Anyways. The innovative comment was more along the lines of Toyota trying harder to make a better product in contrast to a generation of consumers who are simply willing accept less as time goes by.
i think it is very hard to argue that customers will be accepting less with 2023 Prius. Even example of solar roof from 2012 - it had very limited usability and could not recharge main hv battery. On this model they are maximizing the space to get more battery juice.

Together with all the other improvements to the interior, i am sure you can find examples of where they saved costs, that is big part of their job, but the vehicle overall is miles better than before.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius