Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 12:45 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
10 years ago...2012 Toyota Prius

So USB vs CD...what is superior?
Well it doesn't really matter because most of the people will not even hear the difference between basic Spotify stream bitrate downgraded further over low bitrate Bluetooth audio stream and a CD quality audio anyway. I was just pointing out what do Mark Levinson people do when they have no option to play high fidelity audio in the default infotainment unit. CarPlay is one option but keep in mind in order to play CD quality FLAC files and even better DSD files you need third party app on your iPhone which might play ball with CarPlay and might not. Considering that CarPlay has issues in Lexus with its default Music App which can do proprietary Hi-Res ALAC codec I do not know what to tell you.

The safest way is aux jack so you can hook up your own quality dedicated portable music player. But that's still an extra device you need in order to feed ML with proper content.
Old 01-03-23, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well it doesn't really matter because most of the people will not even hear the difference between basic Spotify stream bitrate downgraded further over low bitrate Bluetooth audio stream and a CD quality audio anyway. I was just pointing out what do Mark Levinson people do when they have no option to play high fidelity audio in the default infotainment unit. CarPlay is one option but keep in mind in order to play CD quality FLAC files and even better DSD files you need third party app on your iPhone which might play ball with CarPlay and might not. Considering that CarPlay has issues in Lexus with its default Music App which can do proprietary Hi-Res ALAC codec I do not know what to tell you.

The safest way is aux jack so you can hook up your own quality dedicated portable music player. But that's still an extra device you need in order to feed ML with proper content.
Use a lossless audio supplier like Apple Music or Tidal and connect over USB to the ML audio. Result is incredible sound.
Old 01-03-23, 08:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can play FLAC in the Ram, cant say i really notice the difference even with the top trim H/K audio compared with the MP3 on USB. I dont do BT or satellite radio, the quality is noticeably bad

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 01-03-23 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i can play FLAC in the Ram, cant say i really notice the difference even with the top trim H/K audio compared with the MP3 on USB. I dont do BT or satellite radio, the quality is noticeably bad
It depends on the audio system. I don’t really notice a difference in the HK audio in the Pacifica, but in the ML in my LS460L the difference was very clear. It’s noticeable with the Burmester in my S560 but not as much as it was with the ML.

I think the better the audio system the clearer the difference will be.
Old 01-03-23, 09:56 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It depends on the audio system. I don’t really notice a difference in the HK audio in the Pacifica, but in the ML in my LS460L the difference was very clear. It’s noticeable with the Burmester in my S560 but not as much as it was with the ML.

I think the better the audio system the clearer the difference will be.
Yep, you will also be able to tell the type of mike used and if the performer had the accompanying instruments piped in post production or live. Track mastery and imaging becomes very very apparent.....

With really good systems you can tell if the room they are in has a glass window or not and where it is located relative to the mike. Sometimes it's possible to pickup on small details otherwise invisible, so far the best car systems I've listened on is the Bentley/Naim setup and the B&O in my W12. The tweeter tech used in both allows unusually good imaging for a car system and actually establishes a soundstage with nearly physical space.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-04-23 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-03-23, 10:39 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

I think the new Prius looks so much better than the older ones.

Saw this one today.
Looks like the one my dad had except his was Gold color which made it more ugly, IMO.
Barf... lol

Old 01-04-23, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep, you will also be able to tell the type of mike used and if the performer had the accompanying instruments piped in post production or live. Track mastery and imaging becomes very very apparent.....

With really good systems you can tell if the room they are in has a glass window or not and where it is located relative to the mike. Sometimes it's possible to pickup on small details otherwise invisible, so far the best system I've listened too is Bentley/Naim and the B&O in my W12. The tweeter tech used in both allows unusually good imaging for a car system and actually establishes a soundstage with nearly physical space.
My ear isn't that good, but it is amazing what you can hear in tracks that you have heard many times. On live albums I can hear the audience talking, I can hear stuff scraping across the stage in between songs, etc. And there isn't any distortion or background hiss or static...

Originally Posted by Margate330
I think the new Prius looks so much better than the older ones.

Saw this one today.
Looks like the one my dad had except his was Gold color which made it more ugly, IMO.
Barf... lol

That one was better looking than the one we had lol

And such a weird driving position. It was like driving a golf cart.

Old 01-04-23, 07:03 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

That one was better looking than the one we had lol

Yowsers!
I think they may have hired some design talent since then. lol

So ugly only a mother can love it. haha

PS- just joking ya'll, not trying to offend anyone, I needed styling help too. Nothing to be ashmed of.
Old 01-04-23, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they were not pretty lol

For a long time they had to make all hybrids look weird, like it is now with EVs...
Old 01-04-23, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah they were not pretty lol

For a long time they had to make all hybrids look weird, like it is now with EVs...
Why did the "have" to make them look weird?
Old 01-04-23, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why did the "have" to make them look weird?
Thats a great question! For some reason they clearly thought they had to...
Old 01-04-23, 11:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thats a great question! For some reason they clearly thought they had to...
But not all hybrids were weird looking. The first gen Prius just looks like a normal car. The first gen RX in the mid 00s was normal looking. Same with Highlander. The Camry in 2007
Old 01-04-23, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But not all hybrids were weird looking. The first gen Prius just looks like a normal car. The first gen RX in the mid 00s was normal looking. Same with Highlander. The Camry in 2007
They did early on. The First Gen Prius definitely still looked odd...

Think also about cars like the Insight...

Over time the "novelty" of Hybrids wore off and people started buying just normal cars that were hybrids. This will happen with EVs too and needs to happen for them to become mainstream. The RX and the Camry hybrids were the beginning of them becoming normal looking.
Old 01-05-23, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They did early on. The First Gen Prius definitely still looked odd...

Think also about cars like the Insight...

Over time the "novelty" of Hybrids wore off and people started buying just normal cars that were hybrids. This will happen with EVs too and needs to happen for them to become mainstream. The RX and the Camry hybrids were the beginning of them becoming normal looking.

looks like an Echo
Old 01-05-23, 02:27 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like an Echo
And an Echo looks .... not good.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius