Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-23, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Pacifica has a panoramic roof, and a second sunroof and still has the HVAC vents in the ceiling. Just sayin lol

Old 01-08-23, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Pacifica has a panoramic roof, and a second sunroof and still has the HVAC vents in the ceiling. Just sayin lol

that is impressive. Makes life a lot of fun for long trips. Both open?
Old 01-08-23, 08:55 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

A sunroof should not be standard equipment. Every car I've owned for the last 15 yrs or so came with a sunroof. I never use them. I hate the sun glaring into the cabin. My 07 Highlander sunroof motor died. Dealer quoted $800 repair. I left it as is so the dealer could repair it when I traded in the car. I also had one that leaked years ago, but nothing in the latest models. On the same category the Sirius radio should not be standard equipment. I never use it.
Old 01-08-23, 09:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
A sunroof should not be standard equipment. E.
What about a fixed glass roof? I never understood why …
Old 01-08-23, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
that is impressive. Makes life a lot of fun for long trips. Both open?
We keep them all closed most of the time honestly, but we do open them sometimes. Annoyingly the one all the way in the back doesn't have a power shade so you have to climb back there to close it.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
A sunroof should not be standard equipment. Every car I've owned for the last 15 yrs or so came with a sunroof. I never use them. I hate the sun glaring into the cabin. My 07 Highlander sunroof motor died. Dealer quoted $800 repair. I left it as is so the dealer could repair it when I traded in the car. I also had one that leaked years ago, but nothing in the latest models. On the same category the Sirius radio should not be standard equipment. I never use it.
Carmakers have clearly found that most people want sunbroofs, which is why they include them standard. If they didn't they would be happy to deliver the car for the same money without the expensive sunroof.

If you never used your sunroof how did the motor burn out?
Old 01-08-23, 09:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
We keep them all closed most of the time honestly, but we do open them sometimes. Annoyingly the one all the way in the back doesn't have a power shade so you have to climb back there to close it.
?
That have to find a way to lower some of the costs. If this were a Range Rover, sure it would be an issue. I don’t like the shade open on a sunny day, but over cast or rainy….all the time
Old 01-08-23, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure, makes sense why its manual. Its only an issue in the summer were having it open makes it hotter inside when its sitting outside.
Old 01-08-23, 09:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I hate sunroofs.
i'm with you. i NEVER use them. never wanted one, except a novelty on the first car i had (honda prelude) and some b*st*rd smashed through it to break in!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Disappointing point of view…IMO Have you ever had a car with a panoramic roof?
my santa fe has panoramic roof. never look up through it, never open it, couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I wouldn't have the stress if they just had plain roofs.
on my lc500 i got one of those cheap CF roofs. (inside joke).

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is a pic of our 16 Highlander. The pano roof really brightens up the interior.
that's because you live where there's very little sunlight.

i think the overall appeal of sunroofs may depend on where the vehicle is.
Old 01-08-23, 10:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To be fair, a panoramic roof will always brighten up an interior regardless of where you live. Whether you care or not is another matter.
Old 01-08-23, 10:17 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Someone mentioned that deleting sunroofs from vehicles would save manufacturers money. Shouldn't we all be more concerned about saving buyers money? Of course, it would!

I don't care how many people do or do not want them. I only know that I don't. However, while shopping for a luxury car, there are no options for not having one. Even shopping for economy cars, if one wants optional equipment, it will invariably come in a package that includes a sunroof.

I'm glad Toyota is realizing their designers and consumers can benefit from deleting the sun roof, rather than blindly going with the perception that everybody wants them. Everybody doesn't! Hopefully, a sunroof deletion option becomes a trend for those of us who don't want to pay for something we see as a detriment.

Hypothetically speaking, if I was looking at two identical vehicles, at the same exact cost, and one had a sunroof, and the other did not, I would still pick the one without. It wouldn't be fair to me as I shouldn't have to pay for something I wasn't getting, but at least I wouldn't have to contend with the drawbacks.

Speaking of drawbacks, it's not a huge concern, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet...sunroofs are less safe than solid roofs. If you doubt this, check out the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's data.
Old 01-08-23, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you think manufacturers would pass any of the savings on to the customer of not including the sunroof I have a bridge to sell you lol. The lack of sunroof on the Prius and Corolla is purely weight and cost savings, you won't see Toyota deleting sunroofs on any other models. The Prius has historically lacked a standard sunroof, or a sunroof at all. Our 2004 Prius had no option of a sunroof...people used to have aftermarket ones installed.

Like it or not, when we buy ANY product we pay for features we don't care about. I just bought a wall oven. Good lord it can do all kinds of things I will never want to do, but in order to get an oven with what I did want I had to buy all that stuff too. Only solution is to design and build your own products. Carmakers have clearly found that at least in the US, more people want sunroofs...which is why basically everything here has them. Its actually cheaper for carmakers to just deliver what most people want vs providing an option in their manufacturing process.
Old 01-08-23, 10:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most people would likely want a sunroof. Especially on higher priced cars. I can’t imagine a Lexus LX with no sunroof. I also highly doubt it would cost less with no roof, they would likely find a way to keep the $$
Old 01-08-23, 10:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If all the manufacturers market research showed people didn’t want sunroofs, they wouldn’t have sunroofs.
Old 01-08-23, 11:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

What a silly thing to argue about.
Old 01-08-23, 01:20 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What a silly thing to argue about.
That defines 90% of on line owner forums....

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius