Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 02:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Does it have the CVT?
Toyota's hybrid version yes. It's an ingenious system and very efficient. But stomp on the pedal and you get constant drone the engine at about 4500rpm the whole time.

I really wish Toyota would stop farting around with hybrids and go all EV. A full EV Prius would be so much win.
Old 01-16-23, 09:05 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
and now…. Toyota can charge a premium for the new Prius. The car is more aspirational because of the styling.
What? The car maxes out at $37K. Hardly an aspirational price.

Interestingly enough, with the recent price cuts, the Model 3 is now $44K. With the $7K tax credit that puts it within the exact same price bracket as the Prius. I wonder how many people will pick a Prius over a Model 3 besides Toyota loyalists, especially as the Prius will be marked up by dealers because of the relatively low supply.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-16-23 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 05:37 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola

Interestingly enough, with the recent price cuts, the Model 3 is now $44K. With the $7K tax credit that puts it within the exact same price bracket as the Prius. I wonder how many people will pick a Prius over a Model 3 besides Toyota loyalists, especially as the Prius will be marked up by dealers because of the relatively low supply.
Damn, I didn't even think this far with the new Tesla prices. And the PHEV Prius will be more expensive once they release pricing.

​​​​​​Blood in the streets for a lot of OEM's. Sheesh.

At least the Prius finally looks good!
Old 01-17-23, 12:44 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola

Just be aware the credit has income limits and is non refundable.
Old 01-17-23, 03:05 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Just be aware the credit has income limits and is non refundable.
Additionally, the consumer tax credit is expected to drop to $3,750 or less around March. The Prius Prime and all Teslas should be eligible for $7,500 tax credit on leases, but the captive lender/bank gets those tax credits, and can choose whether to pass any or all of it to the lessee. The tax credit on leases has no income, battery, place of manufacturing or other limitations.
Old 01-17-23, 03:26 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 01-17-23, 03:43 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

It's no surprise people who drive luxury cars with V8's, V6's and EV power-plants find Toyota's 2.5 rental offerings unpleasant. But, this thread is about the new Prius, which on first impression looks to be a winner! I would hope the Toyota detractors could curb their bashing for a minute so the rest of us can be hopeful and enthusiastic about the new Prius.

Toyota does not aspire to be the best in most categories that entice auto enthusiasts, i.e., styling, performance, tech, etc. They aspire for great, long-term reliability. If this doesn't float your boat, that's fine, but, no need to belittle Toyota products or their buyers.

As fuel prices increase along with regulations to increase fuel mileage, manufacturers are tasked with ever-greater compromises in design. Over time, they'll improve these designs. Sure, Toyota evolves slower than other manufactures, partly because they're a behemoth, and partly due to their tendency to make reliability a prime objective. Slower evolution leads to higher reliability. For me, this is a feature, not a bug.

I'm sure we would all love to find a brand that was number one in all categories, but that's not going to happen, Compromise is key for buyers. Each must prioritize their wants and needs, and settle for a vehicle that best suites them. People are different, so different brands appeal to different people.
Old 01-17-23, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
It's no surprise people who drive luxury cars with V8's, V6's and EV power-plants find Toyota's 2.5 rental offerings unpleasant. But, this thread is about the new Prius, which on first impression looks to be a winner! I would hope the Toyota detractors could curb their bashing for a minute so the rest of us can be hopeful and enthusiastic about the new Prius.

Toyota does not aspire to be the best in most categories that entice auto enthusiasts, i.e., styling, performance, tech, etc. They aspire for great, long-term reliability. If this doesn't float your boat, that's fine, but, no need to belittle Toyota products or their buyers.

As fuel prices increase along with regulations to increase fuel mileage, manufacturers are tasked with ever-greater compromises in design. Over time, they'll improve these designs. Sure, Toyota evolves slower than other manufactures, partly because they're a behemoth, and partly due to their tendency to make reliability a prime objective. Slower evolution leads to higher reliability. For me, this is a feature, not a bug.

I'm sure we would all love to find a brand that was number one in all categories, but that's not going to happen, Compromise is key for buyers. Each must prioritize their wants and needs, and settle for a vehicle that best suites them. People are different, so different brands appeal to different people.
Toyota is actually far ahead of any manufacturer in the hybrid front. MB used a mild-hybrid as do some others.

I would hope the Toyota detractors could curb their bashing for a minute
No kidding. It’s gets exhausting
Old 01-17-23, 04:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Keep this on topic of the new Prius or get the boot from this thread. Wandering OT discussion pruned from last couple days
Old 01-17-23, 04:01 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Moderator edit. This is Not a rav4 thread. Giving you benefit doubt you were posting same time as me

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-17-23 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 04:11 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Moderator edit. 703, exit this thread not on topic of 2023 Prius

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-17-23 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Moderator edit. Sw17LS, exit this thread. not on topic

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-17-23 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 06:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Saw new Prius today.

sadly, not feeling the exterior in person.
Old 02-23-23, 07:34 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

At the San Jose Car Show on Saturday, The Prius Prime stole the show. They will sell like hotcakes, especially here in CA with gas well over $4 again. I wanna know how it drives...

Old 02-23-23, 08:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
At the San Jose Car Show on Saturday, The Prius Prime stole the show. They will sell like hotcakes, especially here in CA with gas well over $4 again. I wanna know how it drives...

It was definitely popular. Toyota had a dedicated representative for that car only … but I don’t find it as great looking in perform as I did in the photos or press release. Maybe in traffic it will look different

I can’t understand why Toyota made the front pillar cover like this.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius