Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-23, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
The outgoing model isn't that bad. They're small cars with a focus on mpg.
Seriously? The new Prius is a huge styling improvement from the outgoing car

Old 04-07-23, 04:42 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Seriously? The new Prius is a huge styling improvement from the outgoing car
I agree but I think they shouldve used their resources on making other cars better, instead of the Prius.

They spent alot of money on improving a "stepping stone" car. They did the same amount of work as it takes to make a high quality car and charged alot less. Lol.

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-07-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They have more than enough resources to make all their cars better.
Old 04-07-23, 07:39 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

They have more than enough resources to make all their cars better.
No they don't.
Old 04-08-23, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No they don't.
They absolutely do. Toyota has the resources to do anything it wants. They lack the drive and desire, but they don't lack the resources. When you look at what much smaller carmakers are doing with their lineups with far less resources than Toyota, it really is embarrassing for them.

The Prius is an important identity car for Toyota.
Old 04-08-23, 10:19 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

They absolutely do. Toyota has the resources to do anything it wants. They lack the drive and desire, but they don't lack the resources. When you look at what much smaller carmakers are doing with their lineups with far less resources than Toyota, it really is embarrassing for them.

The Prius is an important identity car for Toyota.
The lack of drive and desire isn't an objective measure. Their actions points more to cost cutting because of a lack of resources - going to smaller engines, moved away from real leather in their base models, dropping models.
Old 04-08-23, 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The lack of drive and desire isn't an objective measure. Their actions points more to cost cutting because of a lack of resources - going to smaller engines, moved away from real leather in their base models, dropping models.
Except that Toyota is a publically traded company and we can see their resources, and we know they have plenty./

Everything you describe is just a reality of the automotive climate we are in, every manufacturer is going to smaller engines to meet CAFE standards and deliver the fuel economy buyers want, every luxury car company has synthetic leather in their base models, they are all streamling models.

If MAZDA can develop an inline 6, Toyota can do way way more than they are doing...they just don't want to and they are relying on their brand equity to sell mediocre products...and it does and will for a while but ultimately will be self defeating for them. Thats why I much prefer Hyundai to Toyota today, because Hyundai is really really trying and it shows.
Old 04-08-23, 11:29 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Except that Toyota is a publically traded company and we can see their resources, and we know they have plenty./
Are you referring to stocks? Stocks have poor liquid properties. Also just because one can see their resources, you're not seeing their debt, which pretty much negates all of their seeable resources.

Everything you describe is just a reality of the automotive climate we are in, every manufacturer is going to smaller engines to meet CAFE standards and deliver the fuel economy buyers want, every luxury car company has synthetic leather in their base models, they are all streamling models.
This point doesn't hold either. You're saying that they are making cars for people that want good fuel economy, but why cater to these buyers? I'm a Lexus guy who wants a roaring V8! Why don't they listen to me?
It's blatantly cost cutting.

If MAZDA can develop an inline 6, Toyota can do way way more than they are doing...they just don't want to and they are relying on their brand equity to sell mediocre products...and it does and will for a while but ultimately will be self defeating for them. Thats why I much prefer Hyundai to Toyota today, because Hyundai is really really trying and it shows.
If it's new, it's somehow "better". Continuing to produce a well made product without changes doesn't mean there's less drive or motivation, it may just well mean that it was well engineered and that making it "new" has diminishing returns.

Last edited by xGS350x; 04-08-23 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-23, 11:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Corporations are primarily people not inanimate resources.
Old 04-08-23, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are you referring to stocks? Stocks have poor liquid properties. Also just because one can see their resources, you're not seeing their debt, which pretty much negates all of their seeable resources.
You clearly don’t invest. When a company is publicly traded, you can see all their financials, assets, debt, liquidity, everything. It’s all out there for everybody to see. Toyota is one of the most financially healthy companies there is.

This point doesn't hold either. You're saying that they are making cars for people that want good fuel economy, but why cater to these buyers? I'm a Lexus guy who wants a roaring V8! Why don't they listen to me?
It's blatantly cost cutting.
Because fuel economy is the number 1 issue for new car buyers today. Every poll and piece of research shows this. I have posted it many times.

They don’t listen to you because you are not anywhere near the majority consumer.

And if you want a V8, why do you have a car with a nondescript 3.5L V6?!

If it's new, it's somehow "better". Continuing to produce a well made product without changes doesn't mean there's less drive or motivation, it may just well mean that it was well engineered and that making it "new" has diminishing returns.
Products need to be improved and upgraded over time to keep up with their competitors. Why would someone buy a new vehicle if it was the same as their old vehicle?

I mean, is this guy for real?
Old 04-08-23, 11:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota is one of the most financially healthy companies there is.
They are not, I've shown this many, many times on this forum. Toyota is leaning more to be at risk than healthy.
Old 04-08-23, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
They are not, I've shown this many, many times on this forum. Toyota is leaning more to be at risk than healthy.
They absolutely are. Your perception of their debt profile is what is at issue there.
Old 04-08-23, 12:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

They absolutely are. Your perception of their debt profile is what is at issue there.
It's not my perception, don't make stuff up. I've shown it over and over again: objective, financial metrics. I'm not going to do it again you've seen what I've posted and choose to ignore it.
Old 04-08-23, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I and financial analysts disagree with you. Toyota is extremely far from any sort of financial risk.
Old 04-09-23, 08:59 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I think the entire car is a miss. Interior is too small, steering column is gigantic with styling that wastes space and makes no sense. Rear headroom is bad. Plug-in version eats up cargo space. Car is pretty slow, typical engine drone. EV mode only 0-60 is 11 seconds. I think the exterior looks odd, shaped like a door stop. Infotainment looks extremely dated compared to Tesla, Rivian, Polestar even Ford.

Very tough sell against the Model 3, Polestar, VW etc.
Most of your dislikes result from design decisions aimed to make the Prius the king of MPG's. Don't forget the focus of this model!

Too, it isn't fair to compare a plug-in hybrid with an EV. They are apples and oranges.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius