Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 09:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Too, it isn't fair to compare a plug-in hybrid with an EV. They are apples and oranges.
Correction, Toyota doesn't want anyone making the comparison because they lose. People cross shop in the same price range and vehicle type, #1 conquest sales of Tesla come from Toyota
Old 04-09-23, 10:24 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

Toyota made a critical move by bringing Sato and kicking Toyoda upstairs.
Old 04-09-23, 11:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Are you referring to stocks? Stocks have poor liquid properties. Also just because one can see their resources, you're not seeing their debt, which pretty much negates all of their seeable resources.

This point doesn't hold either. You're saying that they are making cars for people that want good fuel economy, but why cater to these buyers? I'm a Lexus guy who wants a roaring V8! Why don't they listen to me?
It's blatantly cost cutting.

If it's new, it's somehow "better". Continuing to produce a well made product without changes doesn't mean there's less drive or motivation, it may just well mean that it was well engineered and that making it "new" has diminishing returns.
Are you really a customer who wants a V8 though? Your current car is a 6, someone like me who owned(s) 3 of their V8 cars would be more able to make that statement.

What you actually own/tend to buy usually doesn't line up with what you say you want and companies do studies on this and KNOW most people talk big and don't actually want/buy the top dogs. That's why Lexus mostly makes 6s, they know the actual buyers will not go for 8s even when they are on offer.
Old 04-09-23, 02:09 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Are you really a customer who wants a V8 though? Your current car is a 6, someone like me who owned(s) 3 of their V8 cars would be more able to make that statement.

What you actually own/tend to buy usually doesn't line up with what you say you want and companies do studies on this and KNOW most people talk big and don't actually want/buy the top dogs. That's why Lexus mostly makes 6s, they know the actual buyers will not go for 8s even when they are on offer.
I could careless about the V8, sir.

The point that I was trying to make was why doesn't Toyota cater to me, but to those who wants to save fuel? And people wanting to save fuel is just one part of the spectrum of buyers. If everyone wanted a fuel saver, they wouldn't be buying trucks and SUVs. Toyota's is not a rich company with unlimited resources. They are broke. And their actions are in line with that. For crying out loud, they ditched their original target of buyers to chase the new younger crowd. A rich company has high self esteem. They don't care about others opinions and do what they want(because they can afford to)
Old 04-09-23, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

The point that I was trying to make was why doesn't Toyota cater to me, but to those who wants to save fuel? And people wanting to save fuel is just one part of the spectrum of buyers. If everyone wanted a fuel saver, they wouldn't be buying trucks and SUVs. Toyota's is not a rich company with unlimited resources. They are broke. And their actions are in line with that. For crying out loud, they ditched their original target of buyers to chase the new younger crowd. A rich company has high self esteem. They don't care about others opinions and do what they want(because they can afford to)
Because they can't cater to everybody, they pick a direction and thats where they go. Like I have said before, in every survey about what is most important to car buyers, fuel economy is #1.

They care about the opinion of the largest group of their potential buyers. Thats why EVERYBODY in the industry is moving to smaller engines with more fuel economy.

Toyota is absolutely not broke lol. You have no idea what you are talking about. They have $60B in cash on hand and are the second most valuable car company in the world, second only to Tesla.
Old 04-09-23, 03:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I could careless about the V8, sir.

They absolutely are catering to you, you bought one of their newer mainstream products lol!

You are indeed someone who just wants to save fuel if you don't own a V8 GS. They are 100% catering to you since that is exactly what you buy, they don't cater to people like me who actually truly don't care about MPG and want massive, powerful engines.

Old 04-09-23, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I’ll post this again

So designing cars that emphasize good fuel economy and safety is just good business.
Old 04-09-23, 03:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Design is last on that chart, Toyota put it first.
Old 04-09-23, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Design is last on that chart, Toyota put it first.
On this particular model, but it also maximizes fuel economy.

You will see sedans and vehicles like this continuing to go to style as a differentiating factor. The “Prius faithful” have long since moved on to EVs, they have to have a selling proposition for the car. Same is true of sedans, everybody buys crossovers you have to give people some reason to buy a sedan, and it’s styling and sportiness or it’s fuel economy.
Old 05-26-23, 04:45 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota teased a GR(MN?) Prius concept for reveal during the upcoming 24hrs of Le Mans weekend!

Super excited for this.
Old 05-27-23, 08:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Pretty interesting. Never saw a GR Prius coming. Makes me wonder if Toyota will use the Yaris/Corolla 3 cylinder
Old 05-27-23, 08:12 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm very curious if they will give it a hybrid+G16e combo or just an uprated Prime powertrain.
Old 12-24-23, 07:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

review of the prime (PHEV) - and i like this reviewer and don't think he gets enough views!

Old 04-23-24, 07:07 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

As a long time 2010 Prius owner, I was happy that the gen 5 Prius has been updated design wise, and given a hell of a power boost - I think almost 100 hp from previous gen, without really hurting fuel efficiency much. I think it looks better than the gen 4, and will attract new buyers who are normally not into the model.

The model has been declining in sales over time, due mostly to the hybridization of the various Toyota and Lexus models. So instead of being the one and only hybrid (or at least the major one), people could now just buy hybrid Corollas and Camrys and RAV4s, etc. The other major factor was the preference of many people for CUVs and SUVs, so the fact you could now get a RAV4 hybrid was a big deal (a CUV AND a hybrid!). This redesign would help at least keep sales stable and even higher.

Personally, I have a few issues with the gen 5 (and if I had to choose between a new gen 3 and a new gen 5, I would actually unhesitatingly pick the gen 3).

1. It seemingly has less cargo space than the older versions. My gen 3 was amazing when it came to stuffing things into it. You can camp in it, as me and my wife have done several times. People have even lived in their gen 2s or 3s, some for years!

2. The roof is lower down, so interior cabin is also less spacious for people

3. The design is not one that will make it easy to spot one on the road. It does not stand out. It basically looks like any other sporty car out there. Notwithstanding all the design awards it has won, so obviously I might be an outlier in this view.

4. The sloping front windshield and smaller windows will probably make it feel more cramped inside.

I have not been inside one though, so perhaps when I have done that I'll have more thoughts and add them here.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-23-24 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-23-24, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not looking for a car I can live in, personally.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius