Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-22, 12:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
But in "normalizing" it, they've made it just another Toyota sedan. Beyond the hybrid aspect, people used to gravitate towards the Prius for its looks, questionable as they may have been. It's no longer a statement piece.

I don't see what there is here to sway someone away from a Corolla or Camry hybrid, which aren't bad-looking cars either.
I have to agree with this. Buying a Prius has been more of a statement than anything else. Because it sure didn't look that great. Previous to the new Prius, if I wanted to buy a Hybrid, it would be a Camry hybrid, or RAV4 hybrid
Old 11-16-22, 12:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

But in "normalizing" it, they've made it just another Toyota sedan. Beyond the hybrid aspect, people used to gravitate towards the Prius for its looks, questionable as they may have been. It's no longer a statement piece.

I don't see what there is here to sway someone away from a Corolla or Camry hybrid, which aren't bad-looking cars either.
Same reason they keep nameplates even if the car changed in all the other brands, most buyers go back to look at what they already own to get a new one.
Old 11-16-22, 12:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,652 Posts

with all the praise and shock here, it's like toyota read CL to see what they needed to do.
Old 11-16-22, 12:32 PM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a hatchback though... seems like a big part of the appeal of a Prius from the previous generations was the efficiency along with the practicality that it offered. I know the Corolla hatchback exists, but it's pretty small in comparison.

Last edited by Tritonal; 11-16-22 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 12:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with all the praise and shock here, it's like toyota read CL to see what they needed to do.
Praising it and buying it are two totally different actions. But I'm sure it will sell pretty well
Old 11-16-22, 12:37 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Same reason they keep nameplates even if the car changed in all the other brands, most buyers go back to look at what they already own to get a new one.
I seriously doubt the Prius has such a loyal following that Toyota buyers wouldn't look at other products that do the same thing in Toyota's own lineup. That's why Prius sales are a fraction of what they were five years ago.

Originally Posted by Tritonal
It's a hatchback though... seems like a big part of the appeal of a Prius from the previous generations was the efficiency that it offered along with practicality. I know the Corolla hatchback exists, but it's pretty small in comparison.
If people wanted a big hatch, they would just go to a crossover. Like the Corolla Cross- also a hybrid. Or perhaps the Venza. And if they wanted a more in-your-face statement sedan, there's the new Crown- also a hybrid.

This is why the Prius needs to do more to stand out, when even within its own brand it's struggling to find its place as Toyota rolls out more product. Toyota is banking on this Prius being an "emotional" product, but to who?

Last edited by Motorola; 11-16-22 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 12:54 PM
Sodbuster1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Great!
Old 11-16-22, 01:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

looks pretty good and very unique... just not ugly.
Interior is still pretty unique, just higher quality and not so weird.

It slots between Corolla and Camry, both in size and quality, as well as having some good engine options.

Also phev battery seems small for 13.3kwh, i wonder if this was meant to be on of their first E3 vehicles where they can produce BEV and gasoline models on the same line.
Old 11-16-22, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
This is smart to evolve the Prius. They have even expanded the powertrain now. I have never cared for the Prius styling, but this looks very stylish. Interior is great too. this will be very successful

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-16-22 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 01:53 PM
gor134
Intermediate

View this post on Instagram
The Prius is receiving global praise everywhere, even Ralph Gilles dedicated a post to it! Hopefully this translates to increased sales. Never seen this much hype or praise from the media in general for the Prius, from Reddit to Instagram to car blogs and forums.

I think it's completely fine that it looks more normal, because it still has the Prius wedge shape and actually stands out compared to a Corolla/Camry Hybrid IMHO. If the current hype translates into sales, Toyota will have another huge winner on their hands.
Old 11-16-22, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClCDICuP...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
The Prius is receiving global praise everywhere, even Ralph Gilles dedicated a post to it! Hopefully this translates to increased sales. Never seen this much hype or praise from the media in general for the Prius, from Reddit to Instagram to car blogs and forums..
The new Prius doesn't have compromised styling like we see with so many battery EVs (Toyota and Lexus EVS included) Nice to see praise
Old 11-16-22, 02:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new Prius doesn't have compromised styling like we see with so many battery EVs (Toyota and Lexus EVS included) Nice to see praise
Except Full Battery EV's drive better, are funner, have exponentially more power, are more efficient and require very little maint. I like the way the new Prius looks and applaud Toyota for making it look better, but I still wouldn't buy it. Good try though
Old 11-16-22, 02:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Will wait for reviews but first impression is visibility is seriously compromised. Worse, the instrument panel juts upward of the dash further blocking view. No rear door handles.
Old 11-16-22, 02:25 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Will wait for reviews but first impression is visibility is seriously compromised. Worse, the instrument panel juts upward of the dash further blocking view. No rear door handles.
Rear door handles appear to be in the C-pillar black trim.
Old 11-16-22, 03:38 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Looks fantastic ! Very clean and impressive design.
Toyota's current line up is probably the best I have seen in the last decade or so.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius