Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 11:57 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If I'm trying to sleep at night in a campground and somebody is idling their car next to me, I'm going to be very cranky with them in the morning.
I would think it wouldn’t be any louder than a generator.

Old 04-24-24, 02:30 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

How useful a Prius is for camping is about as relevant to its buyers as how good it is on a racetrack lol
Old 04-24-24, 02:35 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I've heard generators in some sites. Some are quite a bit louder than a car, especially a small hp hybrid that only intermittently switched on and does not run continuously. And good isolated sites don't have tents packed like sardines, though of course I've been to some that were. Also, there is sometimes distance between tent sites and where cars are parked. In the end, I've done this and have never had problems with others.

Speaking of which, hybrids (and other electrics) are also good for drive in movies.

I love those when I can find one during a trip, and make enjoying a movie in my car a part of any vacation. Nothing better than having some popcorn or hotdog or burger and cold soda, while watching a movie playing on a huge screen outside, while warm and comfy in your car.

Too bad drive ins are dying out

I can't remember anymore what movie this was above. I've tried googling the names on screen but they've worked in quite a few movies.

Last edited by asj2024; 04-24-24 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 04:12 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Why would the gas engine be running continuously?

As the guy said, he used less than a quarter gallon of gas for an entire night with heat or a/c switched on.
It's running a fair amount. That 1.5L Atkinson is consuming half as much fuel as my 3L 6-cylinder would if it ran continuously overnight. It burns half a pint per hour at idle, so 8 hours would be half a gallon.
Old 04-24-24, 06:08 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 955 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I said better, not what people can afford. There is a difference
That's not all you said.

You also said "Hybrids are the worst of both worlds." Hundreds of thousands of buyers who want better-than-ICE fuel economy together with better-than-EV refueling availability, affordability and serviceability don't agree with you.

And they're voting with their dollars to prove it.
Old 04-24-24, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFinally
My better half owns a 3rd gen Prius. Before buying it, I had rented a 2nd gen and lived with it for a day or two. At one point, I accidentally kicked the back of the front console and instantly dislodged it from its moorings; it was snapped in place with a tiny plastic nipple on each side that would make a Playskool toy blush. I took it out on the highway, and it was loud, sat like I was sitting in the bottom of a bucket, powerless, pushed around by crosswinds, and had a hollow sound that reverberated road noise throughout the interior. After getting the 3rd gen, I was absolutely shocked at how utterly adequate it was by comparison.
Yep, that’s a pretty good description. It was a terrible car lol. Had a lot of cool tech for the time and was good on gas, but as a car it was terrible.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If I'm trying to sleep at night in a campground and somebody is idling their car next to me, I'm going to be very cranky with them in the morning.
Exactly.

Running a generator in a camping area is also pretty obnoxious.
Old 04-24-24, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024

I'm not going back and forth endlessly when you have never actually done it, and seem to have made up your mind anyways that BEVs (no matter what!) will still (and always) be better than an ICE-supplemented hybrid car (PHEV or HEV) that has much much higher ranges, can carry as much extra fuel as needed, and is not as strongly affected by extreme temps like cold. Not to mention has a much larger network of refueling stations, especially in natural relatively isolated locations.
I don’t have to have slept in a car all night to know I don’t want to sleep in a car, sorry.

And you have already made up your mind that a hybrid or gas car is superior to an EV in any situation so here we are. Clearly I don’t feel the way you say I do because I own an ICE vehicle and a PHEV and no EV.

Sorry, I hate the Prius and I dislike hybrids in general. I am allowed to have that opinion, especially since I did have one. You don’t have to argue with me about my opinion.

So yeah, the best thing to do is (for example), take a BEV into some remote camping location during the cold, depleting the battery the entire way to the camping location by up to 41%...THEN using that same battery to power the HVAC during the entire night. Making sure of course that you actually have enough battery left after all that to actually get back, or do any other side trips after that one single night.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a better idea than using a gas-powered hybrid car.
The same is true of a gas car, that’s my point. It also can run out of gas, and you are also stranded. If you have an EV with 41% of its range left of 300 miles that’s 123 miles. It’s 3 miles an hour to run it heating or cooling when stopped. So if you sleep for 8 hours, thats 24 miles. You still have 99 miles of range.

It’s the same thing. The only difference is you can’t pack extra electricity, but let’s be honest people camping in a Prius aren’t packing gasoline.

Remember all of this started because I simply said I would rather sleep in an EV because the engine wouldn’t kick on or off all night long and annoy me. Why was that a statement worthy of this response?!

Do any of you enjoy sleeping next to an engine that kicks on and off all night? I doubt it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-24-24 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-24-24, 07:18 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Running a generator in a camping area is also pretty obnoxious.

Do any of you enjoy sleeping next to an engine that kicks on and off all night? I doubt it.

It’s actually not bad at all. Do it and see it all the time at track events. Then you have a sprinkle of guys who will sleep in their tow vehicle and I’ve seen guys sleep in their race car, tents on the bed of their trucks. Generators humming outside in the background😴
Old 04-24-24, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s actually not bad at all. Do it and see it all the time at track events. Then you have a sprinkle of guys who will sleep in their tow vehicle and I’ve seen guys sleep in their race car, tents on the bed of their trucks. Generators humming outside in the background😴
A track event is a little different than camping outdoors. Sleeping in a big trailer like that is also different than sleeping in a car. Nobody there is there for the experience of staying out in nature, they are at a race track.

I was telling my wife about this, and she LOVED her Prius. She would still have it...she was utterly bewildered why anybody would want to camp in one.
Old 04-24-24, 07:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 688 Likes on 510 Posts

My wife actually thought this would be a cool idea for the Y.

I'm choosing the hotel.
Old 04-24-24, 07:31 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

A track event is a little different than camping outdoors. Sleeping in a big trailer like that is also different than sleeping in a car. Nobody there is there for the experience of staying out in nature, they are at a race track.

I was telling my wife about this, and she LOVED her Prius. She would still have it...she was utterly bewildered why anybody would want to camp in one.
When your kids are off to college your wife may decide to come back to the dark side…in a Prius 💀
Old 04-24-24, 07:36 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike728

I'm choosing the hotel.
LOL. If I’m on a road trip and I need a power nap, I’m pulling over and getting some shut eye, EV or hybrid. That’s actually what I like about the hybrid, idling isn’t a huge fuel hit like it would be on a non hybrid vehicle. Sounds like it isn’t a big hit on efficiency in an EV as well.
Old 04-24-24, 07:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728

I'm choosing the hotel.
LOL, same. Roughing it for me is a hotel without room service!

When your kids are off to college your wife may decide to come back to the dark side…in a Prius 💀
lol, no...she wants an EV. Her Prius days are over.
Old 04-24-24, 07:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

Prius sales are down 85% in the past 10 years. In another 10 years it might not exist anymore.
Old 04-24-24, 07:50 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by geko29
Prius sales are down 85% in the past 10 years. In another 10 years it might not exist anymore.
It’s hard for me to get rid of mine. Minus excellent fuel mileage, it’s not great at anything. I had to find a role for it to keep it in rotation. I will probably hang on to it until it kicks the bucket.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius