Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-22, 01:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
​​​​​​ Sorry, no way the Prime even comes close to the Model 3, which BTW gets over 100 MPGe, drives hundreds of times better, and has an extensive charging infrastructure. I've driven both, and in no way does the Prime even come close. I wouldn't even consider a Prime, although the Prime is a really good crossover and I would consider it over any other hybrid/gasoline brand... and EV'S didn't exist
Agreed. The 3 is on a different level than any hybrid
Old 11-19-22, 01:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,266 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm glad we at least agree on this point . The Prime is a good vehicle, as far as hybrids are concerned
Old 11-19-22, 01:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I'm glad we at least agree on this point . The Prime is a good vehicle, as far as hybrids are concerned
Yeah lol, we agree on more than you would think. I may have an EV soon since I have access to a massive solar array and I consider it an accessory of sorts lol!

I just wish they were cheaper so I can spend $3-5k and not care. Hard to justify it sitting around unused for like 15k
Old 11-19-22, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Almost is a close call.
I don't think you would like it after being spoiled in a Polestar.

Have a sit down in one and tell me how comfy those seats are. haha
I did already and something stabbed me in my back side as I sat sideways in the seat getting into it.
Got back in my almost 20 year old Lexus and was happy.

I think the Prius will kick it's tail in every way if the price point is close.
I like this new Prius. I drive about 9000 miles a year on my daily Toyota. If the new Prius gets approx 600 miles on a tank, that is 15 gas station fuel ups for me. About a $1000 in operating costs. Just need to see the MSRP they are asking. The new version plug in version doesn’t interest me.

I like the features. The awd drive is great. Hoping it’s full time awd.
Old 11-19-22, 01:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yeah lol, we agree on more than you would think. I may have an EV soon since I have access to a massive solar array and I consider it an accessory of sorts lol!

I just wish they were cheaper so I can spend $3-5k and not care. Hard to justify it sitting around unused for like 15k
Unfortunately everything new is expensive, EV's a bit more, but prices will come down eventually as more competition arises, inflation eases, and the supply chain issues get resolved. Good news is the used car market is stabilizing.

You won't be sorry when you finally pull the trigger. I can promise you that
Old 11-19-22, 03:03 PM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

​​​​​​ Sorry, no way the Prime even comes close to the Model 3, which BTW gets over 100 MPGe, drives hundreds of times better, and has an extensive charging infrastructure. I've driven both, and in no way does the Prime even come close. I wouldn't even consider a Prime, although the Prime is a really good crossover and I would consider it over any other hybrid/gasoline brand... and EV'S didn't exist
As someone who's driven the Model 3 on multiple occasions, I can totally understand the appeal of having one. It's remarkably different from anything else I've driven in the past and I almost ended up buying one. However, from an ownership perspective, you would have to deal with Tesla's questionable build quality, reliability, and customer service. Then being completely being reliant on them to perform repairs/service when it does fall out of warranty.

We'll have to see how this new Prius Prime drives. It's a strong contender to replace my GS. I really miss the practicality of a hatchback.
Old 11-19-22, 03:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately everything new is expensive, EV's a bit more, but prices will come down eventually as more competition arises, inflation eases, and the supply chain issues get resolved. Good news is the used car market is stabilizing.

You won't be sorry when you finally pull the trigger. I can promise you that
Oh it won't be a primary car, just another tool in the fleet to go along with the solar system.
Old 11-19-22, 03:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pd7702
As someone who's driven the Model 3 on multiple occasions, I can totally understand the appeal of having one. It's remarkably different from anything else I've driven in the past and I almost ended up buying one. However, from an ownership perspective, you would have to deal with Tesla's questionable build quality, reliability, and customer service. Then being completely being reliant on them to perform repairs/service when it does fall out of warranty.

We'll have to see how this new Prius Prime drives. It's a strong contender to replace my GS. I really miss the practicality of a hatchback.
Remember, quality issues doesn't equate to reliability. An example of this is my 2013 Sienna which is reliable, but has had lots of quality problems. I'm around a lot of Tesla owners, including my brother in law, sister in law, coworkers and friends. My boss has a 2016 Model X with nearly 120k, and still has almost 90 percent battery capacity. Issues he's had were mostly annoying, but addressed by Tesla and never reoccurred. The new Tesla's coming out have made vast improvements and have a lot less issues. The most expensive components on a Tesla are drivetrain and batteries, both covered under 10 year 100k warranties, and the only people I know who experienced these issues were early adopters. Tesla is way past the early adopter stage.

But I understand they are not for everyone, even people who buy EV'S, so I'm not advocating for anyone to buy one. It's a choice people have to make on their own. Both Prius and Rav4 Prime are good choices for someone looking to buy a hybrid. Not the choices I would make, but my needs are different
Old 11-19-22, 03:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh it won't be a primary car, just another tool in the fleet to go along with the solar system.
It will probably end up moving up the chain because it will be almost free to drive. We find ourselves as a family pilling in the Polestar more than the Sienna when going places because it's almost no cost, even though the cost of fueling the Sienna is trivial in the scheme of things
Old 11-19-22, 04:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It will probably end up moving up the chain because it will be almost free to drive. We find ourselves as a family pilling in the Polestar more than the Sienna when going places because it's almost no cost, even though the cost of fueling the Sienna is trivial in the scheme of things
No way lol!

It would be too slow and way too low on features vs my normal class of car unless I spend like 120-140k on it. Plus gas is so cheap I don't really mind and it would have to exceed $20 a gallon to make me care
Old 11-20-22, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pd7702

I was picked up in a Tesla 3 last week, it was an Uber. For the price point, it was terrible once on the highway. Noisy. Wind noise. There was what sounded like an air leak. Rear seats were uncomfortable. The materials were ok. (The design and way they assembled the interior was different was interesting). No car play or android auto so the driver had the Uber directions on his phone resting on his knee. It was very very fast.

There must be some performance hybrids that are superior to a 3. I think the Audi cars have a high end plug in that is very fast
Old 11-20-22, 10:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was picked up in a Tesla 3 last week, it was an Uber. For the price point, it was terrible once on the highway. Noisy. Wind noise. There was what sounded like an air leak. Rear seats were uncomfortable. The materials were ok. (The design and way they assembled the interior was different was interesting). No car play or android auto so the driver had the Uber directions on his phone resting on his knee. It was very very fast.

There must be some performance hybrids that are superior to a 3. I think the Audi cars have a high end plug in that is very fast
Find me a hybrid that performs this well at this price point, with Model 3's efficiency, and I will buy it myself. In fact, I'll buy one for you as well

I was driving my friends Model 3 Performance a couple of weeks back, and nobody would even race me. Not the guy in the M5, not the guys in their V8's, nobody. I guess they've seen all the videos on Youtube...

BTW I've driven in several Model 3's and I had the opposite experience. Minimal road noise, quiet cabin. Not the softest ride in the world, but not harsh either

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-20-22 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 11:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Surprised Toyota posted the trim levels and feature content this early. A little disappointed that the trim levels are SE Not LE

SE grade
  • Standard Features
    • 17-inch alloy wheels with wheel covers
    • 8-inch audio multimedia touchscreen
    • 6 USB-c ports
    • Softex and leather trimmed heated steering wheel
    • Rain sensing windshield wipers
    • Electronic Parking Brake (EPB)
    • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
    • Traffic Jam Assist
  • Optional features
    • Front and Rear Parking Assist with Automatic Braking (PA w/AB)
XSE grade
  • Standard Features
    • 19-inch unique wheel
    • 8-inch audio multimedia touchscreen
    • 6 USB-c ports
    • Clear taillight
    • Auto-dimming rearview mirror & Home Link
    • Two additional cup holders for rear seat passengers
    • Driver and passenger heated seats
    • 8-way power driver’s seat
    • Perforated SofTex sport seats with red accents
    • SofTex seats
    • Rain-sensing wipers
    • Smart key
    • Wireless charger
    • Direct light illumination
    • Traffic Jam Assist
  • Optional features
    • 12.3-inch audio multimedia touchscreen
    • Fixed glass roof
    • Digital Key
XSE Premium grade
  • Standard Features
    • 19-inch unique wheel
    • 12.3-inch audio multimedia touchscreen
    • JBL® Premium Audio System with 8 speakers
    • 6 USB-c ports
    • Driver and passenger heated and ventilated seats with memory
    • Fixed glass roof
    • Digital Key
    • Power back door
    • 8-way power driver’s seat
    • SofTex seats
    • Rain-sensing wipers
    • Smart key
    • Wireless charger
    • Direct light illumination
    • Traffic Jam Assist
  • Optional features
    • Advanced Park
    • Digital rearview mirror
    • Rear seat heater
    • Panoramic View Monitor
    • Solar glass roof

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-20-22 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-20-22, 11:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Surprised Toyota posted the trim levels and feature content this early. A little disappointed that the trim levels are SE Not LE
Most people today are looking for sporty over LE. The new Prius is most likely trying to appeal to younger buyers, who don't care about luxury or soft ride
Old 11-20-22, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most people today are looking for sporty over LE. The new Prius is most likely trying to appeal to younger buyers, who don't care about luxury or soft ride
Ok.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-20-22 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: 2023 Toyota Prius