Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Let’s NOT Fall For This New Paid Subscription plan BS !

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-22, 05:23 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Let’s NOT Fall For This New Paid Subscription plan BS !

There’s something that’s just starting its second phase and we should NOT start buying in to it . Payed Subscription plans for the operation of items in your car besides the radio and Global mapping . Here why we need to put a stop to this now . The manufactures will start by giving you three months free or maybe even six months free and it will ONLY be a very small charge of money in the beginning . But I guarantee that after they get a good number of people falling for this bulls**t it will just keep going up $2 or $3 dollars a year until it like $30 or $50 bucks a month . This will become a problem just like our cable tv bills .

And why would I want these manufactures to have control to turn things On or Off in it . When it’s something I payed for when I purchased my car . I should be the sole administrator of my car and its operation menu to do these things for FREE !
So pay attention people and proceed with caution when the stealers try to sell you this crap .

Last edited by Gen2NX; 11-18-22 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 06:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyotally agree. So dumb! My 4Runner has a remote start subscription…BUT, it also has a key fob remote start that does not require. So strange and Toyota doesn’t say a thing. It’s like a hidden feature.

before one knows it. They’ll be paying $200 a month
Old 11-18-22, 06:40 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

We’ll be watching ads between ignition cycles lol
Old 11-18-22, 06:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyotally agree. So dumb! My 4Runner has a remote start subscription…BUT, it also has a key fob remote start that does not require. So strange and Toyota doesn’t say a thing. It’s like a hidden feature.

before one knows it. They’ll be paying $200 a month
4Runner is antiquated enough that the Key Fob remote start is grandfathered-in. They would rather you use the Toyota phone app which is tied to the subscription to start the car. Key Fob is quicker and better though
Old 11-18-22, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
4Runner is antiquated enough that the Key Fob remote start is grandfathered-in.
Thank goodness New Toyotas I read Toyota will lock out the key fob with no subscription

I can see in the future…Toyota say, “you didn’t pay your 4WD subscription”…. NOW DRIVE IN THE SNOW IN 2WD pop up on the giant centre screen 📺

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
4Runner is antiquated enough that the Key Fob remote start is grandfathered-in.
How does the vehicle being antiquated make any difference? Like because it uses an ancient 4.0L

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-18-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 07:23 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thank goodness New Toyotas I read Toyota will lock out the key fob with no subscription

I can see in the future…Toyota say, “you didn’t pay your 4WD subscription”…. NOW DRIVE IN THE SNOW IN 2WD pop up on the giant centre screen 📺
lollllll
“skip ads in 5 seconds”
Old 11-18-22, 07:24 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctj
Ewww. That's just nasty of a thought.
Old 11-18-22, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

lollllll
“skip ads in 5 seconds”

HAHA

and wait till Google gets imbedded. Park near a McDonald's and Big Mac commercials start showing up......
Old 11-18-22, 08:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

lollllll
“skip ads in 5 seconds”
Originally Posted by RX469
Ewww. That's just nasty of a thought.
Dang, Maximum cringe, please dont let them do it.
Bloatware and ads and you know they wanna do it sooooooo bad. lol

Old 11-18-22, 08:57 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

This is exactly where they want to go .
Old 11-18-22, 10:10 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

There are reasons most Restaurants have a menu of entrees rather than a Prix Fixe meal at one price.
To include every possible feature to every buyer to work forever would be counterproductive.

Subscriptions and ongoing expenses include: Satellite Radio (90 day trial), Lexus Interface nee Enform (36 month)
Service Visits - LOF/tire rotation/check for recalls (6 & 12 month), Dynamic Nav and Voice (36 month trial),
Auto Insurance (I include this because some leases package it in), Wipers and tires and wear items (former BMW perk)

The variety of guest needs is incredibly broad. Road Warrior, stay at home, multiple drivers, hot or cold climate.
Will the Georgia driver need remote start as in Minnesota? Will the lessor need lifetime services? Does the DIY
mechanic need "free" LOF's? Do deaf folks need Sirius (kidding but really)? To package any and all services into
the purchase price will have us reading a completely different thread..."Can you believe the price of these cars ?!?!"
Old 11-18-22, 10:35 AM
Gen2NX
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
There are reasons most Restaurants have a menu of entrees rather than a Prix Fixe meal at one price.
To include every possible feature to every buyer to work forever would be counterproductive.

Subscriptions and ongoing expenses include: Satellite Radio (90 day trial), Lexus Interface nee Enform (36 month)
Service Visits - LOF/tire rotation/check for recalls (6 & 12 month), Dynamic Nav and Voice (36 month trial),
Auto Insurance (I include this because some leases package it in), Wipers and tires and wear items (former BMW perk)

The variety of guest needs is incredibly broad. Road Warrior, stay at home, multiple drivers, hot or cold climate.
Will the Georgia driver need remote start as in Minnesota? Will the lessor need lifetime services? Does the DIY
mechanic need "free" LOF's? Do deaf folks need Sirius (kidding but really)? To package any and all services into
the purchase price will have us reading a completely different thread..."Can you believe the price of these cars ?!?!"
So then they can all go back to making just a base model and a standard model that’s mass produce for the dealers lots . And then let them build your vehicle the old way , pick and choose and wait for the build . This is why it’s called a Assembly plant and not a manufacturing plant . There’s no reason a car can’t go down a Assembly line and a computer will build a model to the way the buyer ordered it , this is not rocket science.
Old 11-18-22, 12:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Gen2NX
So then they can all go back to making just a base model and a standard model that’s mass produce for the dealers lots . And then let them build your vehicle the old way , pick and choose and wait for the build . This is why it’s called a Assembly plant and not a manufacturing plant . There’s no reason a car can’t go down a Assembly line and a computer will build a model to the way the buyer ordered it , this is not rocket science.
They want maximum margins and the least possible variance during manufacture. It's far easier for them to just build literally every car exactly the same and then change the subscription plan based on what the max they can exact from each person is.

You want more power or range? $300 a month extra. You want comfort features? $120 a month extra.

End goal would be all cars are the exact same and there is a "free with adds" tier lol!
Old 11-18-22, 02:23 PM
Gen2NX
Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
They want maximum margins and the least possible variance during manufacture. It's far easier for them to just build literally every car exactly the same and then change the subscription plan based on what the max they can exact from each person is.

You want more power or range? $300 a month extra. You want comfort features? $120 a month extra.

End goal would be all cars are the exact same and there is a "free with adds" tier lol!
Some of us remember how the cable companies got us to remove the TV antennas from our roofs and give up FREE TV . They sold us on the premise of that if we payed for it , it would be commercial free . And it was for maybe 5 yrs and now there raking in all that marketing / commercial money again ! And charging extra fees for things like sport Subscriptions / channels .
I’m telling you this will NOT end well for the customer/ car owners . They Might as well just stop selling them and just lease them in the future.
Old 11-18-22, 02:26 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Many CL readers may remember that the early Tesla S had model numbers that denoted the battery size.
The 60 and the 75 and the 90. Pretty straight forward, speed costs money... how fast do you want to go?
Funny thing was, the 60 and the 75 actually had the exact same battery but the 60 was software limited to
a lesser range. This came to light after the Houston storm and flooding. Tesla 60 owners were offered an
over the air (temporary) upgrade to use the extra amps...they already had on board! Like it? You can buy it...

Quick Reply: Let’s NOT Fall For This New Paid Subscription plan BS !