Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Might replace the LX: what should I consider?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 12:34 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Might replace the LX: what should I consider?

Have been thinking recently about replacing our 2010 LX 570. It has been the bullet-proof beast that I hoped for in roughly 7 years of ownership but I find myself in a spot where I'm ready to entertain replacing it. My biggest/only gripes are I hate the 3rd row jump seats because we lose so much valuable cargo space and I'd prefer something with a smoother ride. Based on below requirements, please chime in with what you think I should lean towards. I have not test driven anything but value feedback of folks who have.

- Reliability - I'll most likely buy lightly used but I tend to hang onto our vehicles for a while which means I'll own this SUV outside of warranty. I'm looking for something reliable and not insanely expensive when things go wrong. I would prefer to NOT have things like air/hydraulic suspension, etc. because when it goes bad it is easily a few thousand $ to repair.
- 2nd row captains chairs - a must
- Moonroof (pano glass would be a benefit, but need roof to tilt and open for front passengers)
- Usable 3rd row - occasionally need a 3rd row and again the jump seat design on the LX makes it really impractical for how people have to get into the 3rd row.
- Apple Car Play
- "Tight" quality feel - when I drive our 2010 LX I am amazed by how there are no squeaks, no rattles, etc. A lot of other cars seem to develop squeaks and rattles in just a few years. I'm looking for something that will maintain a quality feel for several years.

Budget: $60k (ish)

Vehicles that come to mind:
- Redesigned Tahoe/Yukon
- Expedition
- Navigator
- Infiniti QX 80 (2020 or 2021)

I'm most likely not going to look at any German brands given my concerns over reliability and cost of repairs outside of warranty. What SUV's am I missing? I want to go look at the new Sequoia (Capstone trim) - I'd have to stretch my budget and would have to better understand the 3rd row design to see if that could be a contender. I love the look of it and have watched a few vids on it and the 3rd row is a head scratcher.
Old 11-27-22, 12:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Another LX

(jump seats can be removed with tools)
Old 11-27-22, 01:15 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Another LX

(jump seats can be removed with tools)
Removing the jump seats with tools is not practical because I'd constantly be taking them out and putting them back in. The seats are heavy and the process is a total PITA. I need an intelligently designed 3rd row - in the way it's laid out and how the seats fold down when not in use.
Old 11-27-22, 04:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Budget: $60k (ish)
you're buying into the hottest segment of the market. you want long term reliability, low repair costs, with a better 3rd row... hard combo for that budget.
Old 11-27-22, 06:58 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're buying into the hottest segment of the market. you want long term reliability, low repair costs, with a better 3rd row... hard combo for that budget.
Even when excluding the German makes? That feels disappointing. Quick search before I posted led me to believe I could find a '19 or '20 Navigator, '20 QX80, and higher mileage (40-50k) '22 Tahoe or Yukon in that price range. I don't mean to be insulting but it's hard for me to wrap my head around paying more than $60k for a lightly used 2-3 year old American car (which seems to be mainly what I've narrowed myself down to minus the QX). I paid $52k for a 2010 LX in early 2015. That seemed to make sense at the time given the way the LX holds value and initial sticker. I can buy a brand new Tahoe for $75k, doesn't seem unreasonable to think I could snag one 18-24 months old for under $60k does it?

I follow a few people on Twitter in the large dealer and high volume car sales game that say any car priced above $50k in next 3-6 months will be heavily discounted. Wholesale markets are getting rocked right now and there is a few month delay before those prices become available to retail. I'm hoping to get lucky with some timing and get something at a decent value. Unfortunately I live in a wealthy zip code so I will likely have to source my deal elsewhere because dealers seemingly here have their pick of the litter regardless of interest rates and the economy. Prices here are crazy compared to searching in other parts of the region.
Old 11-27-22, 07:20 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if we'll see the wholesale drops translate to retail pricing soon. Out of your options I'd go with the used Navigator. Good ride and space and still a luxury feel inside. The QX80 and Armada are just way too floaty in my experience. There are also some leftover 2022 Wagoneers that could have some nice discounts and low APR financing. GM full sizers drive nice and easy to use tech, but the 3rd rows are bit odd in that they don't allow for any sort of recline, so they're almost bolt upright.

Do you need to have full size body on frame? You tow?

Vehicles like the Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator have available captain's chairs and nice powerful turbo V6's. The chassis is quite well done with the new longitudinal platform.
Palisade and Telluride twins still do a great job of offering luxury and features and good ride quality for under $60K with new warranty coverage. Palisade even has heated 3rd row available this year. getting one on Tuesday for a week if you have any specific questions on it.
The new Grand Cherokee L could fit a lot of your requirements as well and has an available V8 Grand Cherokee L Example

X7 and GLS are top sellers in the segment, but are a bit narrower than the U.S. counterparts, so while they have captains chairs available, you'd have to be a little kid to squeeze through them to get to the 3rd row.

Old 11-27-22, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

I like much of pbm317’s response, above, especially the recommendation of a 2-year-or-so Navigator, and would not add much to those comments except to say that the X7 and GLS are obviously out for reliability reasons. And I’d also avoid a two-year-old Aviator or Explorer for the same reasons…..they had a classically-botched introduction, with many QC issues.
Old 11-27-22, 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I would go with the used Navigator also. The new GM SUVs have a better ride and drive, but you will struggle to get one equipped well for your budget. Only downside to the Navigator are the EcoBoost engines as a potential source of long term reliability concerns, the GM SUV with the tried and true V8s would be more secure there but I would not choose a prior gen GM BOF SUV over a Navigator. Navigator will feel high end and solid coming out of your LX.

If you can find a nice 22 Tahoe or Yukon that I might consider over a Navigator just for ride and drive.
Old 11-27-22, 09:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

It’s too bad the 2010 LX doesn’t work for you anymore, that is my favorite gen LX. It’s also too bad you need something that big because you could get a nicely equipped brand new GX460 in the $60k range that could have 2nd row captains seats, a 3rd row that folds flat and is reliable but it is still a bit on the small side of what you are looking for.

How about a used Escalade?
Old 11-27-22, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If reliability is at the top of your list, I'd take the Ford, Lincoln, and Chevy off the list. Longterm ownership is not their forte.
The LX is the best of the crop in my opinion. I don't think you'll find much better and still keep the reliability thing in check. Just remember no car is perfect.

Old 11-28-22, 12:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Even when excluding the German makes? That feels disappointing. Quick search before I posted led me to believe I could find a '19 or '20 Navigator, '20 QX80, and higher mileage (40-50k) '22 Tahoe or Yukon in that price range. I don't mean to be insulting but it's hard for me to wrap my head around paying more than $60k for a lightly used 2-3 year old American car (which seems to be mainly what I've narrowed myself down to minus the QX). I paid $52k for a 2010 LX in early 2015. That seemed to make sense at the time given the way the LX holds value and initial sticker. I can buy a brand new Tahoe for $75k, doesn't seem unreasonable to think I could snag one 18-24 months old for under $60k does it?

I follow a few people on Twitter in the large dealer and high volume car sales game that say any car priced above $50k in next 3-6 months will be heavily discounted. Wholesale markets are getting rocked right now and there is a few month delay before those prices become available to retail. I'm hoping to get lucky with some timing and get something at a decent value. Unfortunately I live in a wealthy zip code so I will likely have to source my deal elsewhere because dealers seemingly here have their pick of the litter regardless of interest rates and the economy. Prices here are crazy compared to searching in other parts of the region.
maybe it's possible... a quick search on autotrader...

Old 11-28-22, 06:42 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pbm317
Out of your options I'd go with the used Navigator. Good ride and space and still a luxury feel inside. The QX80 and Armada are just way too floaty in my experience. There are also some leftover 2022 Wagoneers that could have some nice discounts and low APR financing. GM full sizers drive nice and easy to use tech, but the 3rd rows are bit odd in that they don't allow for any sort of recline, so they're almost bolt upright.

Do you need to have full size body on frame? You tow?

Vehicles like the Ford Explorer/Lincoln Aviator have available captain's chairs and nice powerful turbo V6's. The chassis is quite well done with the new longitudinal platform.
Palisade and Telluride twins still do a great job of offering luxury and features and good ride quality for under $60K with new warranty coverage. Palisade even has heated 3rd row available this year. getting one on Tuesday for a week if you have any specific questions on it.
The new Grand Cherokee L could fit a lot of your requirements as well and has an available V8 Grand Cherokee L Example
One of my buddies recently got a used Navigator and I was blown away by the interior quality. He said they love it. I don't need BOF. I'm not sure the Explorer/Aviator or Palisade/Telluride will be big enough for what we are looking for but I should check them out to be sure. Appreciate the recommendation there.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would go with the used Navigator also. The new GM SUVs have a better ride and drive, but you will struggle to get one equipped well for your budget. Only downside to the Navigator are the EcoBoost engines as a potential source of long term reliability concerns, the GM SUV with the tried and true V8s would be more secure there but I would not choose a prior gen GM BOF SUV over a Navigator. Navigator will feel high end and solid coming out of your LX.

If you can find a nice 22 Tahoe or Yukon that I might consider over a Navigator just for ride and drive.
Good feedback, thanks. I'd like to drive a '21 Tahoe/Yukon against a '19 or '20 Navigator. The interior upgrades in the new Tahoe/Yukon are substantial.

Originally Posted by patgilm
It’s too bad the 2010 LX doesn’t work for you anymore, that is my favorite gen LX. It’s also too bad you need something that big because you could get a nicely equipped brand new GX460 in the $60k range that could have 2nd row captains seats, a 3rd row that folds flat and is reliable but it is still a bit on the small side of what you are looking for.

How about a used Escalade?
We owned a GX before getting the LX, my fear is it would be hard to go back to something that size (much more speaking about it not being as wide as the LX - it was a substantial upgrade in space when moving to the LX). But I forgot the GX had the captain's chairs now... might be worth another look. I'd consider an Escalade and should've lumped that in to my Yukon/Tahoe comments. Looks like I could get a '19 or '20 Escalade in my budget - I assume that would mean no Car Play though..?
Old 11-28-22, 07:06 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I'd check out an Escalade or Navi. They're going to have fancy suspensions, though.

LX is about the only active suspension I wouldn't worry about in this market. AHC has more than proven itself.

I'd say wait and check out the new LX but they're impossible to get.
Old 11-28-22, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If reliability is at the top of your list, I'd take the Ford, Lincoln, and Chevy off the list. Longterm ownership is not their forte.
The LX is the best of the crop in my opinion. I don't think you'll find much better and still keep the reliability thing in check. Just remember no car is perfect.
I dont agree with this at all. GM and Ford do trucks well, there are many many GM large SUVs and Ford large SUVs running around in livery fleets with really high mileage and they hold up very well. I rode in one the other day that had 320,000 miles on it.

The issue with the LX is its just nowhere near as spacious or as well packaged for family duty as a GM or Ford BOF SUV. I would never choose one for that reason.
Old 11-28-22, 07:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
I'd check out an Escalade or Navi. They're going to have fancy suspensions, though.

LX is about the only active suspension I wouldn't worry about in this market. AHC has more than proven itself.

I'd say wait and check out the new LX but they're impossible to get.
Appreciate the head's up on the suspensions on both of those. Ironically my AHC failed in the LX about 3 years into ownership.. it was leaking fluid and had to be replaced (under warranty luckily). We had about 90k miles on it at the time. New LX is out of the question but new Sequoia intrigues me as it looks very similar to a newer LX from the side (a good thing IMO) - Capstone trim is about $75k but I don't know if I can get my hands on one as they seem hard to come by and looks online like dealers are marking them up way over sticker.

Quick Reply: Might replace the LX: what should I consider?