Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura TLX Type S PMC Edition will start at Nearly $64,000 with no added performance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as i wrote above, had a typo in my post, i meant to write i wouldn't buy/lease a car WITHOUT hud!
What I meant by bizarre is that as an enthusiast you would pass up a special enthusiast driven car like a V8 IS500 because of a fatuous convenience feature like power folding mirrors. I mean, I want power folding mirrors, but putting my foot down into that glorious V8 when nothing like that is available in any remotely similar or accessible car would make me quickly forget about power folding mirrors.

Like I said, I have them in two cars that are much larger than an IS, and have had them in several other cars and I have never actually had to use them to make my cars fit anywhere.
Old 12-04-22, 09:42 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
different strokes. i also wouldn't buy/lease a car without hud.
Wow, I love my HUD too, and would definitely try to always have it in all my cars for the same reasons, but limitations to it not being linked to apple/Android for maps is a huge negative and if I have no choice then it'll get cut. If they somehow figure out a way to link them, then I might be in the same boat as you.

For me, it's the multiple cameras, especially the indicator activated Blindspot cameras that H/K/G are implementing across it's model line. No way I can live without it now. They are beyond brilliant! But Im not loyal to any brand, so more automakers need to hurry up and develop their own systems.

i have a 3 car garage, 2 door on one side, and a 1 door on the other. 3 vehicles... on the 1 car door side in particular, the opening is definitely narrow (i think more designed for a golf cart than a car!) but i can get my suv in with the mirrors folder. so i fold/unfold every day.
Lol, just say you can't park and are lazy. Sheesh. ​​​​​​​
Just jokes, you're awesome.
Old 12-04-22, 09:49 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

64k for this clear class underperformer is a hard No for me. Looks great on the outside but no thanks.
Old 12-04-22, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Garage doors are standard. The smallest one car garage door is about 8 feet wide, or 96 inches. For many years I parked an ES300/ES350, then a GS350, LS460, then an LS460L, then an S560 into a small townhouse one car garage. I also have parked Grand Cherokees and Kia and Chrysler Minivans into that garage, and never had to fold any mirrors.

An IS500 is 72.4 inches wide, which means with the mirrors deployed you have nearly a foot on each side to the sides of the door frame. No need to fold the mirrors. Now if you have an especially narrow use case, where you have a garage door that is not really designed for a car (these exist) and you are shoehorning a car into that space, thats one thing. But, if you're a car enthusiast and its a special car you really want...I don't think many people would not get it because it didnt have power folding mirrors.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-04-22 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-04-22, 11:00 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
What data in a car is so important that you have to constantly monitor it? Fighter jet yes, car why? I've used HUD in moms LC500 and bros palisade, i just turn them off when I drive them, I dont see the appeal especially when i can see my speed in peripheral vision on a digital cluster/speedometer.
It's just better IMO. I like how Chevy does it with a G meter and gear/RPM primary
Old 12-04-22, 11:02 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What I meant by bizarre is that as an enthusiast you would pass up a special enthusiast driven car like a V8 IS500 because of a fatuous convenience feature like power folding mirrors. I mean, I want power folding mirrors, but putting my foot down into that glorious V8 when nothing like that is available in any remotely similar or accessible car would make me quickly forget about power folding mirrors.

Like I said, I have them in two cars that are much larger than an IS, and have had them in several other cars and I have never actually had to use them to make my cars fit anywhere.
One can also always install JDM folding kits, you can get kits for nearly anything and they are OE so even your 02 corolla can have them!
Old 12-04-22, 11:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Garage doors are standard. The smallest one car garage door is about 8 feet wide, or 96 inches. For many years I parked an ES300/ES350, then a GS350, LS460, then an LS460L, then an S560 into a small townhouse one car garage. I also have parked Grand Cherokees and Kia and Chrysler Minivans into that garage, and never had to fold any mirrors.

An IS500 is 72.4 inches wide, which means with the mirrors deployed you have nearly a foot on each side to the sides of the door frame. No need to fold the mirrors. Now if you have an especially narrow use case, where you have a garage door that is not really designed for a car (these exist) and you are shoehorning a car into that space, thats one thing. But, if you're a car enthusiast and its a special car you really want...I don't think many people would not get it because it didnt have power folding mirrors.
I think his door is a riding mower door, my parents have a bay like that and while you can technically fit something small inside it's TIGHT.

I did use my folders in the apartment/townhome I was in for a while since it prevented anyone from clipping the passenger side when walking past with a larger item.
Old 12-04-22, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
One can also always install JDM folding kits, you can get kits for nearly anything and they are OE so even your 02 corolla can have them!
The Scion hatch Corolla came with factory folding mirrors. I don’t see the issue. Like seriously, just pull in the mirror by hand every once in a while lol
Old 12-04-22, 11:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Scion hatch Corolla came with factory folding mirrors. I don’t see the issue. Like seriously, just pull in the mirror by hand every once in a while lol
I meant powered folding mirrors, it's basically a requirement over there like AC is here.
Old 12-04-22, 11:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
I meant powered folding mirrors, it's basically a requirement over there like AC is here.
the basic Scion hatch in the US had power folding mirrors.
Old 12-06-22, 09:25 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Has any of the Acura PMC editions been a success? It seems odd to me that this brand would invest in these trim levels instead a stand alone product that is genuinely enthusiast focused. Sort of like those TRD versions of a Camry, cool on paper I guess, but who buys that? They might as well make a TRD version of the Avalon while their interested in throwing away resources.
Old 12-06-22, 11:00 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, of course. Its a proper RWD layout BMW sport sedan, and much more expensive, a Type S Performance is completely loaded where an M340i AWD starts, to be comparable an M340i has to be optioned ~$64k.
Much more expensive would be G80/82. Have you seen the prices for the Type S? I paid 58K for a nearly loaded M340i in 2021. Only thing I don't have is the 360 Camera and Laser lights. Cost is nearly the same for both brands with current prices.
Old 12-06-22, 12:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
They might as well make a TRD version of the Avalon while they’re interested in throwing away resources.
they did

Originally Posted by jwong77
in throwing away resources.
‘Toyota is not throwing away resources. Toyota North America TRD stuff (Tundra, Sequioa,Tacoma,Avalon and Cmaery) is just parts based add on accessories, costs them nothing as the consumer is paying for it. It’s super lame TBH. But very good marketing..and very very profitable.. Toyota is smart to offer it

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-06-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-06-22, 01:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kense
Much more expensive would be G80/82. Have you seen the prices for the Type S? I paid 58K for a nearly loaded M340i in 2021. Only thing I don't have is the 360 Camera and Laser lights. Cost is nearly the same for both brands with current prices.
Just go online and build them. You have to compare MSRPs, $58k MSRP did not get you a fully loaded M340i.
Old 12-06-22, 02:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

You know, I am a little salty about the lack of folding mirrors on the IS 350. My wife's 330i has them. Time to trade up to a TLX? Or... I could just get a Bimmer.

That's the problem - I'd rather an M340i over a TLX Type S any day. It's roomier inside, gets better fuel mileage, and can be had with RWD as well. And it's faster in a straight line and lighter.

I would say "reliability" would be a good reason to go Acura, but seems middling given how BMW has improved a lot in recent years and Acura... hasn't.

I guess I could nitpick the BMW's steering feel, but it would be just that - a nit-pick.

I love that the TLX Type S exists, but in reality it does not strike me as that appealing at over $60k. I know it's a special edition, but it's knocking on the door of the IS 500 LE, which had a V-8. I'd rather have a "normal" IS 500 Premium at that price. On the other hand, a standard TLX Type S in the $50k's? Now we're talking.

Quick Reply: Acura TLX Type S PMC Edition will start at Nearly $64,000 with no added performance.