Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

android auto beta (2022)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

update!

so the new AA beta with 'coolwalk' interface didn't do the same things on my Lexus LC500 as it does on the Hyundai Santa Fe. turns out this is because Google didn't make it work with systems that don't have a touch screen.

until now! an update this week has brought the whole Coolwalk interface to cars without touch screens too, so i just tried it on the LC and it's there!

of course the first thing i had to check is whether i could get full screen google maps. and yes! (for anyone with this, you get it by touching the map icon when you're in split screen mode).

and this all works wirelessly (neither of my cars have built in wireless android auto or apple carplay - but i added a tiny AAWireless plugin on each vehicle which provides the feature!
Old 12-15-22, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's what a wireless charger is for. wires suck.
In my car the wireless charger is at the bottom of the console storage box which makes it a pain to use, if theres one easily accessible I agree.
Old 12-15-22, 04:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly, I don’t mind wired CarPlay. I would always have the phone charging in the car anyways or my phone would be dead.
that's what a wireless charger is for. wires suck.
I have no issues with wires. You have no idea how awesome lightning is.. it’s so easy to plug in.

update!

so the new AA beta with 'coolwalk' interface didn't do the same things on my Lexus LC500 as it does on the Hyundai Santa Fe. turns out this is because Google didn't make it work with systems that don't have a touch screen.

until now! an update this week has brought the whole Coolwalk interface to cars without touch screens too, so i just tried it on the LC and it's there!

of course the first thing i had to check is whether i could get full screen google maps. and yes! (for anyone with this, you get it by touching the map icon when you're in split screen mode).

and this all works wirelessly (neither of my cars have built in wireless android auto or apple carplay - but i added a tiny AAWireless plugin on each vehicle which provides the feature!
Just shows how far behind Toyota is. Toyota should be installing either a touchscreen in the LC or wireless CarPlay or both. New LS500 gets the wireless Car Play update

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-22 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want them to ruin the dash with a touchscreen like they did to the LS...
Old 12-15-22, 04:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want them to ruin the dash with a touchscreen like they did to the LS...
‘Lol. If they hired a pretty good designer….Toyota could do it right. The LS was pathetically done. Maybe they need to hire the designer of the G90 interior

Does the LC500 have a wireless charger?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-22 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 05:02 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lol. If they hired a pretty good designer….Toyota could do it right. The LS was pathetically done. Maybe they need to hire the designer of the G90 interior

Very tasteful, love the stitches in and sleek layout of the dash, nice touch.
Not letting my wife see this, she holds the Garmin when we travel.

Plan on getting android auto or carplay for my aftermarket deck, not expecting to have any wireless ability tho.
Old 12-15-22, 07:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Just shows how far behind Toyota is. Toyota should be installing either a touchscreen in the LC or wireless CarPlay or both.
it would be tricky to change the LC to a touch screen, although no doubt it could be done. i am totally ok with no touch screen.

Does the LC500 have a wireless charger?
no. not an issue for me for 2 reasons.
1) my typical time in the LC isn't too long and battery life on my phone is amazing so i can just leave the phone in my pocket or center console.
2) the center console has the usb port so for the longer drives i've done in the LC, i just plug the phone in with a 6" usb-a -> usb-c cable i have.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Not letting my wife see this, she holds the Garmin when we travel.
lol - you know smart phones have maps apps even with traffic alerts, etc.
Old 12-15-22, 07:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it would be tricky to change the LC to a touch screen, although no doubt it could be done. i am totally ok with no touch screen.

Just move the screen ever so closer. But keep the remote touch.
Old 12-16-22, 04:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

In my car the wireless charger is at the bottom of the console storage box which makes it a pain to use, if theres one easily accessible I agree.
And not all wireless chargers are equal either. My next car (not revealing yet!) has an optional one, which I'm debating removing from my build, because people who have it report it is only really good at heating up your phone. Particularly with larger phones (I currently have an S22 Ultra), it reportedly charges very slowly if you're not actively using it, to barely slowing the discharge rate and making the phone overheat if you're using navigation. I'm thinking I might just save the money and the space, even if it means using a wire on the rare long drive.

More directly OT, I haven't had a chance to join the coolwalk beta yet, as it's been full on the handful of occasions I've tried. Looking forward to it though!
Old 12-16-22, 05:13 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I have yet to use an in car wireless charger that doesn't turn my phone into a Hotpocket. Stinger has a built in fan and it still overheats the phone, though not as bad as other makes. My friends XC90 Volvo, charged for 5 minutes before overheating, same in an Infiniti and BMW.

Not sure why these systems always overheat my phone in cars, yet I have a few wireless chargers (some portable) in my home that never get close to overheating. I was thinking it was an Android thing, but speaking to the owners of those cars, it overheats their Apple phone too.

I love the idea of wireless charging in the car but for now since they don't work properly it's wasted space in my opinion.

Anyway I still haven't updated my head unit for the new Android Auto full screen but will try during the holidays. Cool walk update is soooo much better though!

Old 12-16-22, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
And not all wireless chargers are equal either. My next car (not revealing yet!) has an optional one, which I'm debating removing from my build, because people who have it report it is only really good at heating up your phone. Particularly with larger phones (I currently have an S22 Ultra), it reportedly charges very slowly if you're not actively using it, to barely slowing the discharge rate and making the phone overheat if you're using navigation. I'm thinking I might just save the money and the space, even if it means using a wire on the rare long drive.

More directly OT, I haven't had a chance to join the coolwalk beta yet, as it's been full on the handful of occasions I've tried. Looking forward to it though!
I have heard this too, that the wireless chargers are so slow they don't even stop all battery loss when using CarPlay...

Originally Posted by GFerg
I have yet to use an in car wireless charger that doesn't turn my phone into a Hotpocket. Stinger has a built in fan and it still overheats the phone, though not as bad as other makes. My friends XC90 Volvo, charged for 5 minutes before overheating, same in an Infiniti and BMW.

Not sure why these systems always overheat my phone in cars, yet I have a few wireless chargers (some portable) in my home that never get close to overheating. I was thinking it was an Android thing, but speaking to the owners of those cars, it overheats their Apple phone too.

I love the idea of wireless charging in the car but for now since they don't work properly it's wasted space in my opinion.

Anyway I still haven't updated my head unit for the new Android Auto full screen but will try during the holidays. Cool walk update is soooo much better though!
Just CarPlay plugged in makes my phone hot! I have seen some new charger slots where they actually have a fan that cools the phone, the new Range Rovers have that.
Old 12-16-22, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFerg
I have yet to use an in car wireless charger that doesn't turn my phone into a Hotpocket
interesting. my hyundai santa fe vertical slot wireless charger does not heat up my phone. works great. and a very convenient design and use of space.
Old 12-16-22, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

interesting. my hyundai santa fe vertical slot wireless charger does not heat up my phone. works great. and a very convenient design and use of space.
I wonder if it has an air duct...
Old 12-16-22, 07:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder if it has an air duct...
looks like it's vented in some way

that's the wireless AA square thing to the right (above), left below.

Old 12-16-22, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you find that wireless dongle works well? I have had one for a while in the Pacifica and it did work great and then all of a sudden stopped working. I even ordered another of the same unit and it also didn't work without freezing

Quick Reply: android auto beta (2022)