Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota C-HR axed after 2022

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-22, 02:37 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Toyota C-HR axed after 2022

This Is the Toyota C-HR's Final Model Year In the U.S.

"Effective following the 2022 model year, Toyota will discontinue sales of the C-HR in the U.S. and Canada. We are constantly evaluating our product lineup and we remain committed to the compact SUV segment. With the recent introduction of the Corolla Cross and Corolla Cross Hybrid, two great products that offer a great combination of utility and efficiency, and the best-selling RAV4, we are providing multiple options for compact SUV buyers."
Old 12-09-22, 08:49 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

the C-HR and the honda HRV always left me scratching my head as to why they made them...i guess honda also had the element which was a bit odd but i still want one haha.

perhaps it's for the pug effect: ugly but cute (no offense to pug owners out there) !
Old 12-09-22, 12:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Small, affordable SUV's/crossovers are a hot segment. If a brand can't make one work, they have not made wise design decisions. I don't think Toyota's C-HR ever caught on well due to it's strange styling. But Toyota's SUV line-up is overcrowded at the moment. They are selling everything on the lot and there is a wait for in-coming units. They are probably just trying to play catch up.
Old 12-09-22, 12:23 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

You can see quite a few of them here, but realistically they have absolutely nothing going for them except for style (very subjective).
Old 12-09-22, 03:25 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good riddance! Unfortunately we have the dull Corolla Cross now to take it's spot. Would be kinda cool to have the Yaris Cross, I find it a lot more stylish and practical than the CH-R. The CH-R seems to be more of those "urban, lifestyle" type cars that's more fit for a European market, especially evident by it's sales numbers.
Old 12-09-22, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Good riddance!
Agreed. If you all remember, I said that on the day it was first introduced LOL.

Unfortunately we have the dull Corolla Cross now to take its spot.
Yes, the Corolla Cross may be vanilla, but it is exactly what many people want and need. Also like I predicted, it is selling like beer at Happy Hour, at least where supplies are available.
Old 12-09-22, 06:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

The Yaris and Yaris Cross are standard sub-compacts built from the sub-compact GA-B platform.
The C-HR & UX are premium sub-compacts built from the compact GA-C platform that the Corolla & Corolla Cross uses.
Like the C-HR & UX premium sub-compacts, the RAV4 & NX are premium compacts built from the midsize GA-K platform.

Sounds like the US market is NOT suited to "sub-compacts" like Yaris, Yaris Cross and C-HR.

Old 12-10-22, 09:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The Yaris and Yaris Cross are sub-standard compacts built from the sub-standard sub-compact GA-B platform.
fixed that for you.
Old 12-10-22, 09:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the C-HR and the honda HRV always left me scratching my head as to why they made them...i guess honda also had the element which was a bit odd but i still want one haha.

perhaps it's for the pug effect: ugly but cute (no offense to pug owners out there) !
C-HR was highly successful in Europe and Japan, it was not made for USA. Here it is quite popular and new version has been just introduced as preview/concept and they announced powertrains already:

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/toyota-c-...ecomes-bolder/
Old 12-10-22, 01:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Sounds like the US market is NOT suited to "sub-compacts" like Yaris, Yaris Cross and C-HR.
In the U.S., unlike the Yaris and C-HR, demand for the Corolla Cross consistently exceeds supply.

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the C-HR and the Honda HRV always left me scratching my head as to why they made them.
The subcompact HR-V, although not a runaway success like the larger compact CR-V, was reasonably successful, though IMO it gave up a great deal of comfort, power, and room compared to its larger brother. On a test-drive, I found it cramped and underpowered.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-22 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-10-22, 04:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I never even considered one because of the measly 144hp + CVT powertrain.
Old 12-10-22, 06:16 PM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I kept thinking that entry for the rear door is too small, thinking it was just the silver, but no the black area is part of the door as well. Interesting design choice.
Old 12-13-22, 08:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the U.S., unlike the Yaris and C-HR, demand for the Corolla Cross consistently exceeds supply.

The subcompact HR-V, although not a runaway success like the larger compact CR-V, was reasonably successful, though IMO it gave up a great deal of comfort, power, and room compared to its larger brother. On a test-drive, I found it cramped and underpowered.
Agreed, the HR-V is definitely looking like a more usable alternative to a CH-R if you want a small SUV.

I recently had a Corolla Cross for a Lyft ride, and it was fine, but nothing upscale by any means, and probably one of the most boring cars I've seen in a long time.
Old 12-21-22, 02:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

This isn't shocking, but what is shocking is how it lasted all the way through 2022 at all. I remember learning about the Corolla Cross back in 2019, when it was first making rounds at private Toyota USA functions. I also learned about the RWD Mirai, Venza, aborted GS, all new 2024 Land Cruiser, 2023 4Runner, 2023 Sequoia, 2022 Tundra, 2021 Sienna and some other vehicles from that time period. The Corolla Cross was intended 3 years ago to replace the C-HR and I knew it would be built in Alabama. I guess Toyota let it run its full cycle, instead of cutting it short like the Avalon.