Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 07:42 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree. Leasing makes way more sense I’m just rationalizing the price and the cost of keeping it long term. At seven years, an extended warranty , plus the maintenance, it’s at least $10,000-$15,000.
Or you can be semi-insane like me and view a 5 year old one as an 80% off deal lol!
Old 12-15-22, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I agree. Leasing makes way more sense I’m just rationalizing the price and the cost of keeping it long term. At seven years, an extended warranty , plus the maintenance, it’s at least $10,000-$15,000.
If you're having the car serviced somewhere that isn't the dealer and you have an extended warranty, its not much more expensive to maintain at that age than a Lexus LS, and you're still driving a car that is way more sophisticated than what you could buy new or newer for what its worth. There are still reasons why it may make sense for someone. For me, its just going to be too old a car at that point for me to want to keep.

What people shouldn't do (and I say this to people looking at old LSs also) is buy one of these 7 years old for $25,000 and think its just going to be oil changes and thats it.
Old 12-15-22, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Or you can be semi-insane like me and view a 5 year old one as an 80% off deal lol!
‘That’s true. But part of the appeal of a Mercedes or an Audi or a BMW is that they are state of the art and brand new. From my vantage point, the styling and design of a Mercedes, is out there in front of everyone else. It also does not age as well because the next generation sedan or car or SUV completes that new design idea very well.
Old 12-15-22, 07:57 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Get another car, hell even though I bought a lot of Lexus products I actually only seem to keep as car as my primary for like 1-2 years before I move on. It's more fun to experience many many different cars vs just being stuck in 1 all the time
I'm the opposite. I enter into a long-term relationship with every car I've ever purchased and loved. I modify each to my liking, and then my history is I drive them until they die (or almost die). And I've never bought an extended warranty, but with German cars, they do seem to make more sense.

I had a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo that I drove until it reached 425,000 miles(!), and then the leaking turbos finally stopped working. Then I sold the car to someone in the Z Club, and they replaced the engine, and kept driving it.

My 2001 Lexus were married together for 330,000 miles, and it's still on the road today with its new owner.

My 2013 BMW M3 is going strong so far, with 140,000 miles and counting.

And my newer 2021 BMW is accruing lots of miles with my love of driving and long trips, so 40,000 miles and counting.

Obviously, I get my money out of my cars. But it will be interesting to see how well my BMWs hold up over time. We'll see. But so far, so good.

I do like the newer tech in cars, which is why I finally bought my first new car in 2021 (as opposed to buying another 3- or 4-year-old one like I normally do), and I am really enjoying having all the latest tech. But my love for the cars I purchase (and then mod) tends to outweigh my desire to replace them with newer ones.
Old 12-15-22, 08:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KevinGS
I'm the opposite. I enter into a long-term relationship with every car I've ever purchased and loved. I modify each to my liking, and then my history is I drive them until they die (or almost die). And I've never bought an extended warranty, but with German cars, they do seem to make more sense.
I guess I should add. If someone doesn’t want the hassle of maintenance and then possible repairs, then, yes, leasing makes more sense. But long-term, it’s possible that long term ownership is easier even for a German car. From my 2004 Toyota, I gutted the air suspension on the back, had to remove the hydraulic suspension that was cross-linked, all of the 15 year mark. How to add new coil springs to replace the air. And a change up the shocks. Both of my SUVs are maintenance heavy, one has a timing belt.

but to keep up with design and new technology, leasing probably makes more sense

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-22 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One thing about Mercedes, they have lousy wipers. I have mine in my car finangled so they don't skip most of the time, but the GLC loaner they ship and shudder horribly, and without scrubbing the windshield down on a regular basis and cleaning the blades my S Class is the same way. Common complaint across all models. Surprising that a company like Mercedes would have an issue engineering wiper blades.
Old 12-15-22, 09:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One thing about Mercedes, they have lousy wipers. I have mine in my car finangled so they don't skip most of the time, but the GLC loaner they ship and shudder horribly, and without scrubbing the windshield down on a regular basis and cleaning the blades my S Class is the same way. Common complaint across all models. Surprising that a company like Mercedes would have an issue engineering wiper blades.
That would be one of the those "in your face" (literally) quality of life issues that you would think they would be very on top of, I normally do not use wipers but when I do it's because I actually NEED them to work and skipping would be an issue.
Old 12-15-22, 09:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

You were all over those magic wipers when you first got your Mercedes. Not now?
Old 12-15-22, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You were all over those magic wipers when you first got your Mercedes. Not now?
I love the magic vision function, the wiping not as much lol.
Old 12-15-22, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I love the magic vision function, the wiping not as much lol.
What is the issue with the wiping?
Old 12-15-22, 09:49 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Reading some fanboys backing for MB's wipers is beyond ridiculous. It's crazy they actually produce cars that cost this much with **** wipers. My X5's was very *** at the beginning too and I was so annoyed. But I think because it was too new or had something on it. After some cleaning, they work like charm since.
Old 12-15-22, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What is the issue with the wiping?
They skip and shudder. You have to make sure that the windshield is extremely clean, I even have to be careful what glass cleaners I use. I have one glass cleaner I use for the windshield only. Contrast to...well every other car I have ever had and the wipers wipe great all the time.

I will take a video of these wipers in this loaner wiping.

Apparently there is some incredibly complex method of adjusting them that involves counterweights and all kinda of crazy stuff.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Reading some fanboys backing for MB's wipers is beyond ridiculous. It's crazy they actually produce cars that cost this much with **** wipers. My X5's was very *** at the beginning too and I was so annoyed. But I think because it was too new or had something on it. After some cleaning, they work like charm since.
Oh I know! Its ridiculous. Mine wipe fine now too, they're a little slow on high, but at least they don't skip. If I get it washed and don't re-clean the windshield though with the right cleaner they start skipping again though. $130,000 autobahn machine, thats absurd.
Old 12-15-22, 10:44 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
There's always going to be trolls that put down and try to pick apart what others drive. For whatever reason they have unhappy lives and are projecting, who knows. I've learned to utilize the ignore list, and man you feel so much better
Indeed lol
Old 12-15-22, 10:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They skip and shudder. You have to make sure that the windshield is extremely clean, I even have to be careful what glass cleaners I use. I have one glass cleaner I use for the windshield only. Contrast to...well every other car I have ever had and the wipers wipe great all the time.

I will take a video of these wipers in this loaner wiping.

Apparently there is some incredibly complex method of adjusting them that involves counterweights and all kinda of crazy stuff.
That is too bad. I like the simple design that Toyota uses my new 4R has a heated element for the wipers…works great. I accidentally let my independent shop put on new slim wipers on my older 4R. They do skip and shutter. Big mistake
Old 12-15-22, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That is too bad. I like the simply design that Toyota uses my new 4R has a heated element for the wipers…works great. I accidentally let my independent shop put on new slim wipers on my older 4R. They do skip and shutter.
Yeah stick with the OEM Denso wipers

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$