Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
If LCI looks good, I will replace mine.
what is LCI?

I think so too. MB and BMW have much calmer/welcoming voices compared to Lexus and some other ones I've been in.
the voice in my '21 LC500 is very pleasant/calm. besides the weak trackpad operation, the nav is surprisingly good, the voice commands works well, etc. i mostly only use the trackpad to launch android auto. for car's own nav there's a 'map' button so i don't have to use trackpad, and of course my car isn't a touchscreen, which i'm ok with (no fingerprints!). the '18 genesis g90 i had didn't have touchscreen either, but the ****/wheel controller and voice commands was so good it didn't matter.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
One thing about Mercedes, they have lousy wipers. I have mine in my car finangled so they don't skip most of the time, but the GLC loaner they ship and shudder horribly, and without scrubbing the windshield down on a regular basis and cleaning the blades my S Class is the same way. Common complaint across all models. Surprising that a company like Mercedes would have an issue engineering wiper blades.
sometimes there's a coating (even ceramic coating) on the windshield that can cause that.
also another shout out for the LC500... best... wipers... ever. barely any sound at all ever and the washer fluid comes out of the wipers themselves which is neat.
Old 12-15-22, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what is LCI?
Its what BMW calls their mid-cycle refresh, Life Cycle Impulse.

sometimes there's a coating (even ceramic coating) on the windshield that can cause that.
With all the effort people have taken to clean windshields and do away with the juddering, its not that. The wipers are just not very well designed, its almost like they are too complex and get out of alignment too easily.
also another shout out for the LC500... best... wipers... ever. barely any sound at all ever and the washer fluid comes out of the wipers themselves which is neat.
The OEM wipers on all my Lexus cars were also great. Funnily enough the Pacifica uses the same wipers, they're made by Denso.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-15-22 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 11:37 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the voice in my '21 LC500 is very pleasant/calm. besides the weak trackpad operation, the nav is surprisingly good, the voice commands works well, etc. i mostly only use the trackpad to launch android auto. for car's own nav there's a 'map' button so i don't have to use trackpad, and of course my car isn't a touchscreen, which i'm ok with (no fingerprints!). the '18 genesis g90 i had didn't have touchscreen either, but the ****/wheel controller and voice commands was so good it didn't matter.
Are you saying LC voice is different from other Lexus vehicles? The ones I feel warmest are "Good evening..." or "Let's head home." "It's good to be home." BMW has a **** that I like to use. I rarely touch the screen. And it does have map button. In any case, I'm glad to see those positives in your LC. They should be ahead of other Lexus because you pay a bigger chunk for it. Except the GX, my other Lexus' wipers were fine. Must be due to the more vertical windshield.
Old 12-15-22, 12:09 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I guess I should add. If someone doesn’t want the hassle of maintenance and then possible repairs, then, yes, leasing makes more sense. But long-term, it’s possible that long term ownership is easier even for a German car. From my 2004 Toyota, I gutted the air suspension on the back, had to remove the hydraulic suspension that was cross-linked, all of the 15 year mark. How to add new coil springs to replace the air. And a change up the shocks. Both of my SUVs are maintenance heavy, one has a timing belt.

but to keep up with design and new technology, leasing probably makes more sense
Indeed. I leased a 2018 Chevy Malibu for a few years because I got a great deal...and it was solid and served its purpose. And I took over a lease from someone when I got my first 2015 BMW M4, but then sold the car before the lease ended (the purchaser bought the lease out).

Ultimately, though, with my love of driving, leasing rarely makes sense for my "fun" cars, which will often accrue at least 30,000 miles per year, approaching 40,000 miles some years. So for me, I just buy the car, mod it to my liking, and drive it for as long as possible. This is also why extended warranties rarely make sense for me, because they don't last long with my high average mileage per year. I have a friend who has a CPO 2019 Mercedes AMG and he purchased an unlimited mileage extended warranty when he got the car, which sounds stupendous with the way I drive. But I can no longer find those kinds of warranty opportunities.

He loves his AMG, but his warranty has already paid for itself after 2 years of ownership.
Old 12-15-22, 01:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

The OEM wipers on all my Lexus cars were also great. Funnily enough the Pacifica uses the same wipers, they're made by Denso.
i'm thinking it's not just the wiper brand/make, i think it's the overall arm/motor/mechanism design, but i could be wrong.
crazy if the mb ones aren't smooth. my brother-in-law and his son have mercedes in england, and neither has wiper issues.

Are you saying LC voice is different from other Lexus vehicles?
i have no idea as this is the only lexus i own sold my prior lexus in 2006 and its voice prompts were pretty primitive.

The ones I feel warmest are "Good evening..." or "Let's head home." "It's good to be home."
ah gotcha, no my lexus doesn't do that, and i don't care.
Old 12-15-22, 02:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Update on the vibration thing. So I dropped it off at 8:30 yesterday, scheduled the appointment a week and a half ago. They werent able to look at it yesterday, all day today nothing (I have valet protect on, so I know when its started and stopped), finally reached out just now, weren't able to get to it today either. "Hopefully tomorrow". Told them I would come get it tonight and take it somewhere else. Ridiculous.

I understand being busy, but when you schedule a week and a half out and drop it right as they open, it shouldn't take three days for them to even look at it. So we'll retract a gold star when it comes to dealer service.
Old 12-15-22, 02:07 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

^^ OK so we are down to 4 stars now.
Still a passing grade so far.
Old 12-15-22, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

5 stars for the car, 4 stars for the service lol. I'm going to email the service manager and ask him to let me know when I can drop it by and be assured that it will be looked at that day.
Old 12-15-22, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is what the wipers sound like. Mine sounded the same way until I figured out the right way to clean the windshield every time. Not everybody is as fortunate

Old 12-15-22, 02:28 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Update on the vibration thing. So I dropped it off at 8:30 yesterday, scheduled the appointment a week and a half ago. They werent able to look at it yesterday, all day today nothing (I have valet protect on, so I know when its started and stopped), finally reached out just now, weren't able to get to it today either. "Hopefully tomorrow". Told them I would come get it tonight and take it somewhere else. Ridiculous.

I understand being busy, but when you schedule a week and a half out and drop it right as they open, it shouldn't take three days for them to even look at it. So we'll retract a gold star when it comes to dealer service.
Haha my Hyundai Ioniq EV needed its 20K maint (basically an inspection), I scheduled it back in September, and the closest date they had available was today! I knew I was going to be busy, so I called to reschedule, and the next date they had was March...2023 LOL!! Luckily my son didn't have college today so he was able to take it in.

My Polestar sat in Polestar of Los Angeles for 6 weeks. It took them 2 weeks to even look at it to diagnose the issue, than 4 weeks to get the part. Luckily they gave me a rental. So I would say three days is pretty good!

The Polestar app let's me connect to my car, I can lock and unlock it, turn on climate, see where it's parked etc. so I was stalking my car remotely

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-15-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 02:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

5 stars for the car, 4 stars for the service lol. I'm going to email the service manager and ask him to let me know when I can drop it by and be assured that it will be looked at that day.
That sucks.

I feel your pain actually, the only reason I know anything about cars at all is because a Chrysler dealer so severely pissed me off I decided it's best I learn how to do everything I need to know to keep my car working. I went downhill from there and fell in love with the machine.

If I was closer I would take a look for you lol!

Last edited by Striker223; 12-15-22 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

terrible. Have to go somewhere else
Old 12-15-22, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is what the wipers sound like. Mine sounded the same way until I figured out the right way to clean the windshield every time. Not everybody is as fortunate

Have you changed the wiper-blades since you got the car? I do mine at least once a year. The ozone in this area from pollution can do a number on them, hardening the rubber and causing some of the noises you mention. And, yes, film on the glass doesn't help either.

Years ago, I noticed that OEM blades had a tendency to squeak after just a few months sometimes, but most OEM blades today are more resistant and work smoothly. I don't have much experience with aftermarket blades because I don't use them.

Update on the vibration thing.
And what's with the vibration issue? You might have described it before, but somehow it got buried in with all those posts LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-22 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 02:39 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

https://youtu.be/UIL0sUkBYFI
I had that similar problem on my E class wagon loaner when I brought my AMG in for maintainence service. I seldom drove my GT S in the rain, but I never had the problem so far when it did rain while I was driving it.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-15-22 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
If I was closer I would take a look for you lol!
The mechanic who did my brakes offered to do that too. I might take him up on it!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
terrible. Have to go somewhere else
Once I email the service manager my guess is they'll take care of me.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you changed the wiper-blades since you got the car? I do mine at least once a year. The ozone in this area from pollution can do a number on them, hardening the rubber and causing some of the noises you mention. And, yes, film on the glass doesn't help either.

Years ago, I noticed that OEM blades had a tendency to squeak after just a few months sometimes, but most OEM blades today are more resistant and work smoothly. I don't have much experience with aftermarket blades because I don't use them.
Yeah I replaced them once at 10k miles, didn't help. In fact since I have the issue solved I am afraid to change the blades!

And what's with the vibration issue? You might have described it before, but somehow it got buried in with all those posts LOL.
When sitting at a red light I feel a little vibration in the steering wheel and pedals that goes away when I shift into neutral, which leads me to believe it might have a bad transmission or engine mount or something

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$