Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

When sitting at a red light I feel a little vibration in the steering wheel and pedals that goes away when I shift into neutral, which leads me to believe it might have a bad transmission or engine mount or something
Maybe the mounts, but other more-likely reasons are too low an idle-speed while in gear (even a smooth V8 will vibrate a little if the idle speed is too low), too lean a fuel-mixture that doesn't fire properly in the cylinders, or clogged fuel-injectors that don't spray a proper pattern in the cylinders. The mixture and idle-speed, of course, are governed by the engine's computer....are you getting a CHECK ENGINE light, which would normally happen if the fuel-mixture were bad?
Old 12-15-22, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe the mounts, but other more-likely reasons are too low an idle-speed while in gear (even a smooth V8 will vibrate a little if the idle speed is too low), too lean a fuel-mixture that doesn't fire properly in the cylinders, or clogged fuel-injectors that don't spray a proper pattern in the cylinders. The mixture and idle-speed, of course, are governed by the engine's computer....are you getting a CHECK ENGINE light, which would normally happen if the fuel-mixture were bad?
You wouldn’t expect that putting it in neutral would solve the vibration if it were any of those things. That’s usually textbook engine or transmission mount. No CEL or any other issues. Always Shell premium.
Old 12-15-22, 05:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You wouldn’t expect that putting it in neutral would solve the vibration if it were any of those things. That’s usually textbook engine or transmission mount. No CEL or any other issues. Always Shell premium.

Putting it in Neutral lessens the idle-load on the engine, and, (all else equal), it can idle smoother with a lean mixture. I do agree, though, that a bad mount could be the problem, although that often comes as a result of aggressive driving, strong acceleration, burnouts, and putting a lot of strain on the engine, which I know you don't do. You seem to be a sensible driver like me and Jill.

Can't do better than Shell ....In the D.C. area, it is probably the best Tier-1 fuel now available, now that Chevron, and its excellent Techroline additive, doesn't sell in this area anymore.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-22 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-15-22, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Putting it in Neutral lessens the idle-load on the engine, and, (all else equal), it can idle smoother with a lean mixture. I do agree, though, that a bad mount could be the problem, although that often comes as a result of aggressive driving, strong acceleration, burnouts, and putting a lot of strain on the engine, which I know you don't do. You see to be a sensible driver like me and Jill.
Typically that kind of thing means a mount. It’s just a fluke thing I’m sure, a few people on the forums have had motor mounts replaced early.
Old 12-15-22, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Typically that kind of thing means a mount. It’s just a fluke thing I’m sure, a few people on the forums have had motor mounts replaced early.

Did you get my comment on Shell?...I edited the post. Best fuel available in the DC area.
Old 12-15-22, 06:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Did you get my comment on Shell?...I edited the post. Best fuel available in the DC area.
Yeah can’t go wrong with Shell
Old 12-15-22, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

if not in neutral. Likely the mount

https://www.mercedesmedic.com/interi...mercedes-benz/
Old 12-15-22, 08:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

The mechanic who did my brakes offered to do that too. I might take him up on it!

Once I email the service manager my guess is they'll take care of me.

Yeah I replaced them once at 10k miles, didn't help. In fact since I have the issue solved I am afraid to change the blades!

When sitting at a red light I feel a little vibration in the steering wheel and pedals that goes away when I shift into neutral, which leads me to believe it might have a bad transmission or engine mount or something
When you shutdown the engine can you feel a faint "thunk"?
Does rpm alter the vibrations, if you build some pressure on the converter does it calm down or get worse?
When in neutral upon throttle "spike" (quickly stab at it) is a vibration generated that is worst when the engine first accelerates or decelerates?

If yes to all it's likely mounts but if the issue persists when you load the converter it may be converter shudder. Normally when you load the mounts up firmly they will calm down, it's when you alter loading or are in a state of lower load where it can move around you will feel the issue. In severe cases if you load the converter and a mount is outright torn the engine will lift up on one side, be careful with that test though since it can make the damage worse and put strain on the other mounts.

Does your car have active mounts? That's also a factor to consider if you have some nice magnetic mounts that the vibration waveform sensors may be confused or the mount(s) do not have the correct response curve for whatever reason. The passenger side mount on my 4.0TT car has a transient issue with that right now where it sometimes gets "stuck" hard and in 4cyl mode at 2300 rpm I can sometimes feel it. It also sometimes doesn't transfer out of 4 cyl mode in sync with the other mount.

I have no idea if Mercedes uses active mounts but I would be shocked if Audi has something they don't!
Old 12-15-22, 09:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Any throttle input does away with the vibration, no clunks anywhere. I don’t think the mounts are active, but they are fluid filled.
Old 12-16-22, 05:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Any throttle input does away with the vibration, no clunks anywhere. I don’t think the mounts are active, but they are fluid filled.
That's encouraging, probably just lost fluid in the drivers side mount then assuming your engine has a normal direction of rotation. When you input throttle you "lift" the engine off the mount on the drivers side, in cars with massive engines and more ridged mounts when you snap the throttle the entire car will rotate opposite of the engine rotation.

In your case throttle input is very likely lifting your engine off the mount just far enough that vibrations no longer transfer though it badly enough to be noticed in conjunction with faster firing events.
Old 12-16-22, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's encouraging, probably just lost fluid in the drivers side mount then assuming your engine has a normal direction of rotation. When you input throttle you "lift" the engine off the mount on the drivers side, in cars with massive engines and more ridged mounts when you snap the throttle the entire car will rotate opposite of the engine rotation.

In your case throttle input is very likely lifting your engine off the mount just far enough that vibrations no longer transfer though it badly enough to be noticed in conjunction with faster firing events.
Yeah thats exactly my thinking...and the vibration is very slight...but if its a mount it will get worse so need to get it addressed.
Old 12-16-22, 08:27 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Update on the vibration thing. So I dropped it off at 8:30 yesterday, scheduled the appointment a week and a half ago. They werent able to look at it yesterday, all day today nothing (I have valet protect on, so I know when its started and stopped), finally reached out just now, weren't able to get to it today either. "Hopefully tomorrow". Told them I would come get it tonight and take it somewhere else. Ridiculous.

I understand being busy, but when you schedule a week and a half out and drop it right as they open, it shouldn't take three days for them to even look at it. So we'll retract a gold star when it comes to dealer service.
I've got one for you......My wife called early October to schedule 25k service on her 19 ES300h. Told first appt November 29. She was asked if she wanted a loaner. Said it didn't matter as service was just inspections and won't take long. Scheduler put her down for loaner. In the meantime an issue developed with the passenger mirror not tilting when car in reverse. Wife shows up for appt Tuesday Nov 29 and told they were 3 days behind and good thing she got a loaner. Dealer apparently was not contacting folks, as she said many showed up for appts, but did not leave their vehicles when told of 3 day delay. Heard nothing, so we stopped by when we were out Saturday Dec 3, and they had not started the service. Car finally ready on Monday Dec 5. Just keep thinking about the folks that had appts with no scheduled loaners, and folks that had appts with loaners scheduled, but loaners unavailable.
Old 12-16-22, 08:41 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Wow. I have never had an issue like that with my Lexus, Audi, or Jag dealers but then again I always setup the appointment at least two weeks out and I only use them for alignments.
Old 12-16-22, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wasjr
I've got one for you......My wife called early October to schedule 25k service on her 19 ES300h. Told first appt November 29. She was asked if she wanted a loaner. Said it didn't matter as service was just inspections and won't take long. Scheduler put her down for loaner. In the meantime an issue developed with the passenger mirror not tilting when car in reverse. Wife shows up for appt Tuesday Nov 29 and told they were 3 days behind and good thing she got a loaner. Dealer apparently was not contacting folks, as she said many showed up for appts, but did not leave their vehicles when told of 3 day delay. Heard nothing, so we stopped by when we were out Saturday Dec 3, and they had not started the service. Car finally ready on Monday Dec 5. Just keep thinking about the folks that had appts with no scheduled loaners, and folks that had appts with loaners scheduled, but loaners unavailable.
Thats ridiculous...had they told me they were swamped and it might be a few days I would have not left it...wow...
Old 12-16-22, 11:30 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
had appts with loaners scheduled, but loaners unavailable.
So what loaner did you end up getting?

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$