Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
His warranty ran out so he did what he said he would and got rid of it,
Smart guy. I am watching my brother have issues with his German car. It wouldn't pass emissions here if we still had emission testing. His engine failed on his GLK, and he still got another MB. My friend has hesitation issues wth her S560 from cylinder deactivation and her phone always has issues connected.Nice cars though. The German brands hook people.
Old 01-03-23, 11:49 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Smart guy. I am watching my brother have issues with his German car. It wouldn't pass emissions here if we still had emission testing. His engine failed on his GLK, and he still got another MB. My friend has hesitation issues wth her S560 from cylinder deactivation and her phone always has issues connected.Nice cars though. The German brands hook people.
Did he say why his engine failed? I always hear these stories and then when we get down to the details the story isn't so simple anymore. Engine failures are very rare on GLKs. if this was a 2015 model year GLC with 2.0t I4 on the other hand, I definitely could believe it suffered from a cracked piston.
Old 01-03-23, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Did he say why his engine failed? I always hear these stories and then when we get down to the details the story isn't so simple anymore. Engine failures are very rare on GLKs. if this was a 2015 model year GLC with 2.0t I4 on the other hand, I definitely could believe it suffered from a cracked piston.
Nope. We don't get too deep into that talk.(my brother avoids that) My brother has made some really poor vehicle decisions. He is financially stressed as well (we all avoid that talk too) His new Elantra needed a new engine and then his new Santa Fe needed a massive repair so he ditched them. My guess is that his GLK had money owing and he rolled it into the used M/GLE model he bought. it is much nicer though. (I don't know the naming of MB SUV models very well so GLK is the wagon/SUV type). Not a GLC

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-03-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-03-23, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Mob4life
Yet he just traded in his S550 and 2017 GLE for a 2023 GX. I wonder why? It's interesting how some people here who buy German products have to justify their purchase by trying to put down Lexus or specifically the LS. I have a 2022 LS with the Luxury package. Its a great car. I could have bought a 2022 750i. Everything was approved but I went back to lexus. It's a quality product. The G90 isn't on its level yet. Most aren't willing to spend over 90 grand on a genesis. The S Class is a great car as well. Anyone able to get these cars are blessed. If you want to buy German go for it. I don't hear anyone bashing the A8 in order to justify the S Class. Just my humble opinion.
The goal of this thread is not to "justify" German car ownership at all or to bash Lexus at all, it is just to convey my experience as a long term Lexus owner who made a move to an S Class. If Lexus still made the same kind of car as the LS460L that I traded to get this S560, I would have never done this. This was purely a response to the product from Lexus no longer being a car that was on the same level.

My point was that a lot of what is said out there about the "horrors of German cars" is just not true. By and large, the experience for me of having this car is very similar to my experience with Lexus over my 22 years of ownership that included 4 LS sedans. If all of a sudden Lexus reversed course and came out with a big elegant flagship sedan that was super quiet and had a great ride and tons of space and a super refined V8 or I6 powertrain, I would go back to Lexus...but thats not going to happen and I have come to terms with that.

As for the Genesis, the new G90 is a superior product to the LS for sure. I would not even consider an LS500 compared to a new G90, and its a car that I absolutely will consider next time. Lexus just doesn't offer anything at the top end anymore unfortunately which leaves us that want that to have to look elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's more simple than that. His warranty ran out so he did what he said he would and got rid of it, very few are able to really work on these and actually own them permanently.
I wouldn't own this out of warranty either...
Old 01-03-23, 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

S560s only deactivate cylinders in Eco mode, BTW.
Old 01-03-23, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

My point was that a lot of what is said out there about the "horrors of German cars" is just not true.
That "horror" usually comes later down the road. I don't think anyone claimed "horrors of German cars" inside of warranty or during a lease period.
Old 01-03-23, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That "horror" usually comes later down the road. I don't think anyone claimed "horrors of German cars" inside of warranty or during a lease period.
And even that is way overstated. Lexus is not the only company that can make a car that provides a good ownership experience over time, and even if the German cars require a little more maintenance and repair over time...they are better cars...if Lexus made cars that were truly comparable like they did at one time I might feel differently about the tradeoffs. Fact is, they are focused on making FWD transverse stuff and that stuff doesn't interest me.
Old 01-03-23, 12:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

..if Lexus made cars that were truly comparable like they did at one time I might feel differently about the tradeoffs.
The only Lexus I truly really find appealing are the GX and LX. But LX phoned it in on the LX, but I think it will grow on me over time. Sequoia and Tundra are terrible efforts...and I bet the next 4R will be a massive disappointment. All the other Lexus models are nice...but not for me...just an upscale Toyota. The RC/IS/LC are using ancient V8 tech... time to update the motors.
Old 01-03-23, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The only Lexus I truly really find appealing are the GX and LX. But LX phoned it in on the LX, but I think it will grow on me over time. Sequoia and Tundra are terrible efforts...and I bet the next 4R will be a massive disappointment. All the other Lexus models are nice...but not for me...just an upscale Toyota. The RC/IS/LC are using ancient V8 tech... time to update the motors.
The GX and LX are unique and offer something unique to a buyer, they're not for me but I understand the appeal...
Old 01-03-23, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The GX and LX are unique and offer something unique to a buyer, they're not for me but I understand the appeal...
True. At the same time. I can see the rationale to develop a Lexus RWD crossover like the Aviator type or GLE..but they won't
Old 01-03-23, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

True. At the same time. I can see the rationale to develop a Lexus RWD crossover like the Aviator type or GLE..but they won't
Absolutely, huge mistake for them not to have that
Old 01-03-23, 02:04 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mob4life
Yet he just traded in his S550 and 2017 GLE for a 2023 GX. I wonder why? It's interesting how some people here who buy German products have to justify their purchase by trying to put down Lexus or specifically the LS. I have a 2022 LS with the Luxury package. Its a great car. I could have bought a 2022 750i. Everything was approved but I went back to lexus. It's a quality product. The G90 isn't on its level yet. Most aren't willing to spend over 90 grand on a genesis. The S Class is a great car as well. Anyone able to get these cars are blessed. If you want to buy German go for it. I don't hear anyone bashing the A8 in order to justify the S Class. Just my humble opinion.
If that's how you read the thread then I think I could see the same thing in your post. LS is a nice sedan but it attracts a smaller and smaller group IMO. As an ex-GX owner, I do not see how he would be happy going from those vehicle to a GX. His GLE is also 5 years old that is no where like the current model. Unless someone uses the off road feature alot, the GLE450+ is a way better/more luxurious SUV IMO.
Old 01-03-23, 02:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Easiest way to convince die hard Lexus drivers is to hand them the keys to your German and wait 30-40 min.

Every single person I've handed keys to has set their sights on German even if they hated and made fun of them up to that point.
Old 01-03-23, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
Yes he got rid of both of his Mercs. But he didn’t lose money on the SUV!

https://youtu.be/ttRIRwIaNd0
I actually watched this video finally...and he says all the same things we've been saying about how German cars are more reliable than they get credit for...

However much you may love a car...there always comes a time to move on and theres always something out there thats a better fit for a specific time in your life.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-23 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

However much you may love a car...there always comes a time to move on and theres always something out there thats a better fit for a specific time in your life.
I take that with a grain of salt. Although I wish it had a fourth cylinder under the hood, the Encore GX, for many reasons, is virtually the perfect vehicle for my needs. It's hard to imagine "moving on"....unless Buick does an extended-range hybrid or EV version of it, and I ever get access to a recharging outlet, which I don't have now. Buick, for some reason, is simply not doing hybrids or EVs in the U.S.....it never has, from what I can recall.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$