Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo2648
This is what I wrote in another thread in this same forum:

Normally, I used to ask such off-topic questions in the Mercedes Forum. I own a 32 year old Mercedes 420 SEL. Maintain it myself. It is a tank from the era when Mercedes were Mercedes. Immaculate condition. Needs nothing. Actually Lexus ate Mercedes for lunch when the LS400 was released.Mercedes was never the same again. Accountants started ruling the firm instead of engineers. But now I am planning on selling it for lack of space. It is a garage queen anyways. Here is a picture.

There is a reason why I ended up buying Lexus's for the wife and both my kids. Getting old and busier at work so no time for wrenching. My driveway looks like a Lexus RX dealership. My ultra reliable 2000 RX300 made me a convert to Lexus. THe most problematic was my BMW X5. And I think maintaining a Mercedes is much more expensive. Parts cost...labor cost...all items.

Here is a picture.

My 1990 420SEL
Nice car.

many computers on that MB? Did they use belts or chains for the engines then?
Old 01-06-23, 04:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the mechanics on You Tube are the most legit. Scotty and Car Wizard. I also like to use my close word of mouth…. Usually German cars are best to avoid once our warranty.
Scotty is insane. He is wildly inconsistent and very non-sensical, I still remember him making front of an SC430 for being a "bad engine and bad car" because it needed an O2 sensor at 500k miles and his constant insults toward the UZ engines.
Old 01-06-23, 04:22 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nice car.

many computers on that MB? Did they use belts or chains for the engines then?
Barely any computers. Just one ECU that primarily controls the CIS (Continuous Injection System by Bosch) - several European manufacturers used it including Volvo. Injection is by controlling pressure to the injectors - not any electrical pulse.

This Mercedes V8 uses a timing chain.

While talking about the vehicles I own, my 2001 Chrysler Town and Country with 210K miles has been ultra reliable too. So I am not a member of the "American Cars are no good" club. Never owned a Ford though. I hear Fords are equally good. Owned a GM (Buick Skylark) and it was OK. Somehow, by fate, I always ended up with a Chrysler. But I am fastidious about maintaining my cars.
Old 01-06-23, 04:23 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Scotty is insane. He is wildly inconsistent and very non-sensical, I still remember him making front of an SC430 for being a "bad engine and bad car" because it needed an O2 sensor at 500k miles and his constant insults toward the UZ engines.
Search YouTube. You will see a post from Scotty on the "Best SUV you can buy"...he talks of Lexus RX350
Old 01-06-23, 04:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Search YouTube. You will see a post from Scotty on the "Best SUV you can buy"...he talks of Lexus RX350
Doesn't matter. He is extremely inconsistent and will contradict himself and never really goes past surface level on anything.
Old 01-06-23, 04:41 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Normally, I used to ask such off-topic questions in the Mercedes Forum. I own a 32 year old Mercedes 420 SEL. Maintain it myself. It is a tank from the era when Mercedes were Mercedes. Immaculate condition. Needs nothing. Actually Lexus ate Mercedes for lunch when the LS400 was released.Mercedes was never the same again. Accountants started ruling the firm instead of engineers. But now I am planning on selling it for lack of space. It is a garage queen anyways. Here is a picture.

There is a reason why I ended up buying Lexus's for the wife and both my kids. Getting old and busier at work so no time for wrenching. My driveway looks like a Lexus RX dealership. My ultra reliable 2000 RX300 made me a convert to Lexus. THe most problematic was my BMW X5. And I think maintaining a Mercedes is much more expensive. Parts cost...labor cost...all items.

Here is a picture.

My 1990 420SEL
Oooh you should submit that to bringatrailer.com! Seems to be in great shape. I can see some MB enthusiasts paying good money for that example.

EDIT: Sorry if it seems like I've been shilling that website a lot lately, I've just become addicted to seeing all of the pristine examples of older cars cross the auction block.
Old 01-06-23, 04:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Here is a picture.

My 1990 420SEL
That chrome grill Rocks!
Plain and simple, enough said.
Old 01-06-23, 04:51 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Scotty Kilmer has a net worth of $10 million yet still postures as a "serious professional full-time mechanic" in that tiny run-down garage attached to his house.

The RX is a good SUV for what it is, but Kilmer's advice is usually deranged nonsense. He can't be taken any more seriously than Judge Judy and Dr. Phil.
Old 01-06-23, 05:20 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Scotty’s video titles are all click baits. He ends up talking about something else or opposite of the click bait title.

I really only watch the Car Car Nut now, he is the most honest of the bunch, but does have some minor biases which I can live with.
Old 01-06-23, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Again though, the only feature about a car we are talking about is reliability. No offense, but I would have no interest in driving a new RX, let alone 13-23 year old Lexus RXs. The reason those RXs are so reliable is that they are very simple, rudimentary vehicles. They are basically lifted Toyota Camrys. When you look at a Lexus that is as complex as a modern Mercedes, like an LS460 or an LS500 all of a sudden the gap in reliability and maintenance cost narrows considerably.
Old 01-06-23, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
the interesting thing I found about Benz is after the warranty period expires, the Benz really starts to fall apart!
i guess if something's repeated often enough it must be true, except you can't just lump all 'Benz' in one sweeping statement. well you can, but it's stupid.
different years, different models, different positions in lifecycle. we know the early 'benz' suv, the ML, was very shoddily made (in alabama ), but now, it (a glc or gle) seems great.

My Indian friend says it’s deliberately engineered to fall apart as the Germans want the vehicle to go to the scrap heap by the 10 year mark. However, that is a different topic.
not sure why him being indian is relevant (is that supposed to mean he's smarter ), but what are his credentials/evidence for stating this?

my neighbor has a FLEET of mercedes vehicles (prob 6 or so), all different ages, some being from the 80s and the newest, and s-class, about 4 years old i think. he LOVES them, says they're reliable. he has a good indy mechanic he takes them too if they need scheduled maintenance or something does in fact break.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Benz are built very inconsistently. Some buyers have a dream run, while others experience lemons. Part of Benz ownership.
again, sweeping statement. varies by model, year, etc.

Lexus much more consistent.
and much simpler, and longer life cycles.

i got my current lexus because i knew it was well made with a tried and true engine. first came out as a 2018 model and i got a 2021 which had very little changes.

'benz' as you call them has been on a furious pace of new models, innovations and changes, so not surprisingly there's likely to be more problems.
Old 01-06-23, 07:09 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

The notion that as the car has more tech and features, then it’s ok for it to be less reliable. That of a self fulfilling prophecy that consumers are allowing to happen.

There are plenty of electrical and mechanical systems more sophisticated that an S Class that we rely on operating right, every single time.
Old 01-06-23, 07:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
The notion that as the car has more tech and features, then it’s ok for it to be less reliable. That of a self fulfilling prophecy that consumers are allowing to happen.

There are plenty of electrical and mechanical systems more sophisticated that an S Class that we rely on operating right, every single time.
The reality is that when a car becomes more sophisticated, there is more to wear and break. For instance LS460s have a lot of problems with brake actuators. LS400s and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have electronic brake actuators. LS460s have issues with control arms wearing and requiring replacement...LS400 and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have multi-link front suspension.

Components that are designed for higher performance and precision often have shorter lifespans. As we have watched the LS become more similar to a Mercedes in design, its also become more similar to a Mercedes in terms of maintenance and reliability. Thats my point. Its not "okay", its just reality.

Here's a video from the Car Care Nut about multi-thousand dollar repairs to an LS430 and how horrendously complicated the smart key system is on that car. Sounds an awful lot like the CarWizard video Jill posted about that CL550:

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-06-23 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 07:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The reality is that when a car becomes more sophisticated, there is more to wear and break. For instance LS460s have a lot of problems with brake actuators. LS400s and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have electronic brake actuators. LS460s have issues with control arms wearing and requiring replacement...LS400 and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have multi-link front suspension.

Components that are designed for higher performance and precision often have shorter lifespans. As we have watched the LS become more similar to a Mercedes in design, its also become more similar to a Mercedes in terms of maintenance and reliability. Thats my point. Its not "okay", its just reality.

Here's a video from the Car Care Nut about multi-thousand dollar repairs to an LS430 and how horrendously complicated the smart key system is on that car. Sounds an awful lot like the CarWizard video Jill posted about that CL550:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatKW2SGQG8&t=533s
Yep but the suspension on the 460 is quite impressive, soft spring rates and damping aside..........same with the brake system, it's odd at first but once you get used to it you can leverage it in way you can't with a vacuum system. However better systems are usually more prone to failure, it's a natural cost really. Something ultra simple like a Camry 4 cyl with no sunroof and physical keys really doesn't have anything there to break in the first place.
Old 01-06-23, 07:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep but the suspension on the 460 is quite impressive, soft spring rates and damping aside..........same with the brake system, it's odd at first but once you get used to it you can leverage it in way you can't with a vacuum system. However better systems are usually more prone to failure, it's a natural cost really. Something ultra simple like a Camry 4 cyl with no sunroof and physical keys really doesn't have anything there to break in the first place.
Absolutely! Thats why they went to the multi-link setup, its vastly superior. The tradeoff is more maintenance. Same with the braking system like you said.

If you want a truly sophisticated car you're gonna have to maintain it and repair it, thats the tradeoff. Like air suspensions, air suspensions MAKE a luxury car. Its night and day, but the tradeoff is they don't last and they cost a lot to repair/replace.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$