Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i got my current lexus because i knew it was well made with a tried and true engine. first came out as a 2018 model and i got a 2021 which had very little changes.
And like my 4Runner...ancient. Your engine dates back to the IS-F. Just has a lot of updates, like my 4.0L. And no turbo..and no cylinder shut down ​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SW17LS
The reality is that when a car becomes more sophisticated, there is more to wear and break. For instance LS460s have a lot of problems with brake actuators. LS400s and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have electronic brake actuators. LS460s have issues with control arms wearing and requiring replacement...LS400 and LS430s don't. Why? They don't have multi-link front suspension.

Components that are designed for higher performance and precision often have shorter lifespans. As we have watched the LS become more similar to a Mercedes in design, its also become more similar to a Mercedes in terms of maintenance and reliability. Thats my point. Its not "okay", its just reality.

Here's a video from the Car Care Nut about multi-thousand dollar repairs to an LS430 and how horrendously complicated the smart key system is on that car. Sounds an awful lot like the CarWizard video Jill posted about that CL550:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatKW2SGQG8&t=533s
I don't believe it
Spoiler

Old 01-06-23, 08:03 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just want to point out Mercedes's motto - it was "nothing but the best". That was the time when Engineers had a sway over all car manufacturing and design aspects. If you close the door of an earlier Mercedes - like my 1990 W126 chassis. it closes with a comforting "thud" - like it was carved from one solid block of steel. Do that to a newer Mercedes - it feels like any other car. The build quality just went downhill after Accountants took over.

Then came the Lexus LS400. It was cheaper and better than the Mercedes. I read somewhere that the LS400 engine is the only aircraft certified (whatever that means) automobile engine. Thereafter the downward spiral started for Mercedes. Their W140 chassis was so sophisticated that it was terrible when things went wrong. The evaporator core failed often and to R&R that cost a fortune and several hours of labor. The W220 had several issues with their self leveling suspension that they have aftermarket kits to convert to struts. The W221 had transmission issues...hope things are better with Mercedes products now - after all, I was a devoted fan of the Marquee for 2 decades or more. I have no interest in the newer models so I do not know the current status.

Many items and design of early Lexus were a copy of the W126 chassis. LS400 had several similar design features. They say that the Mercedes ML SUVs were a copy of the 99 to 03 RX. Look at the Rear quarter windows and the way the front hood opens all the way down the radiator - a very close match. But the ML's were junk. OTOH the RX300 was a resounding success.
Old 01-06-23, 08:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Absolutely! Thats why they went to the multi-link setup, its vastly superior. The tradeoff is more maintenance. Same with the braking system like you said.

If you want a truly sophisticated car you're gonna have to maintain it and repair it, thats the tradeoff. Like air suspensions, air suspensions MAKE a luxury car. Its night and day, but the tradeoff is they don't last and they cost a lot to repair/replace.
Funny enough it's actually a wash for me, since the German cars have air as standard they are so much better supported it actually would not cost me any extra to replace the air struts on my D4s vs the coil systems on my LSs. The only thing that may be more expensive is the actual compressor/valve block unit but those are not problematic on the D4s and rarely fail with no pattern of failures. Same thing with the struts, you see way more LSs with air strut and compressor issues vs the Germans since it's STILL an optional system. Both my cars are on all original air hardware and MANY guys have over 150k on all original stuff and they do not store inside like I do nor do they obsessively make sure the system is not loosing pressure and opening the drivers door once a week if it's sitting to make sure it can adjust for any ambient temp/humidity issues.

Most also don't have their cars on tenders to make certain the battery is not under strain to save load on the alternator etc....and they don't have issues. I have only seen a few alternators go out across all forums vs the LSs needing them around 150-200k or less in harsher climates. Now the problem is if you DO need a new one it's about $1500 for the part alone lol! It is however needed considering all the items it's responsible for running in this class of car.
Old 01-06-23, 08:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And like my 4Runner...ancient. Your engine dates back to the IS-F. Just has a lot of updates, like my 4.0L. And no turbo..and no cylinder shut down

I don't believe it
Spoiler

The LC500 engine is still advanced, it was just STUPIDLY ahead of the rest when it came out. It took nearly 10 years for everyone else to catch up to that thing but Lexus stopped trying so we never got to see their TTV8 or the LSF/LCF, if they have made those cars I would never have went German but that's a fine example how they lost a customer.
Old 01-06-23, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo2648
Just want to point out Mercedes's motto - it was "nothing but the best". That was the time when Engineers had a sway over all car manufacturing and design aspects. If you close the door of an earlier Mercedes - like my 1990 W126 chassis. it closes with a comforting "thud" - like it was carved from one solid block of steel. Do that to a newer Mercedes - it feels like any other car. The build quality just went downhill after Accountants took over.

Then came the Lexus LS400. It was cheaper and better than the Mercedes. I read somewhere that the LS400 engine is the only aircraft certified (whatever that means) automobile engine. Thereafter the downward spiral started for Mercedes. Their W140 chassis was so sophisticated that it was terrible when things went wrong. The evaporator core failed often and to R&R that cost a fortune and several hours of labor. The W220 had several issues with their self leveling suspension that they have aftermarket kits to convert to struts. The W221 had transmission issues...hope things are better with Mercedes products now - after all, I was a devoted fan of the Marquee for 2 decades or more. I have no interest in the newer models so I do not know the current status.

Many items and design of early Lexus were a copy of the W126 chassis. LS400 had several similar design features. They say that the Mercedes ML SUVs were a copy of the 99 to 03 RX. Look at the Rear quarter windows and the way the front hood opens all the way down the radiator - a very close match. But the ML's were junk. OTOH the RX300 was a resounding success.
All of that is true, but Lexus has stopped supporting upper end cars like the LS, and the Germans have stepped up their game and come back from those low times, which leaves us where we are today…doors on my S560 close great. Obviously not as solid as yours, but we’re in another era today and they can’t make sheet metal that thick and solid nowadays.

They make air suspension replacement to coil kits for the LS too, by the way. Air suspension failures on the LS are very common. You never see air suspension failures on the W222 S Class…

The original ML was nothing like the RX, it was a body on frame SUV. ML was also a huge success.
Old 01-06-23, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Watch this video and tell me this is more reliable than an old S Class:

Old 01-06-23, 08:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Barely any computers. Just one ECU that primarily controls the CIS (Continuous Injection System by Bosch) - several European manufacturers used it including Volvo. Injection is by controlling pressure to the injectors - not any electrical pulse.

This Mercedes V8 uses a timing chain.

While talking about the vehicles I own, my 2001 Chrysler Town and Country with 210K miles has been ultra reliable too. So I am not a member of the "American Cars are no good" club. Never owned a Ford though. I hear Fords are equally good. Owned a GM (Buick Skylark) and it was OK. Somehow, by fate, I always ended up with a Chrysler. But I am fastidious about maintaining my cars.
Interesting stuff. I was wondering because your model first started production in 1979, so what might have been added over the years such as computers and electronics. So fascinating. Also, wondering what debuted in 1979 that was state of the art. How do you do for parts? Easy to get? OEM? Or aftermarket..

Gorgeous interior… look at that wood 🪵
Originally Posted by Margate330
That chrome grill Rocks!
Plain and simple, enough said.
‘yes sir
Spoiler

Old 01-06-23, 10:10 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

https://youtu.be/ZvTJ9GcKV40
Yes, those 2007-2012 LS460's are not the most reliable compared to the RX and ES, however I will take my chances with well known mechanical fixes for them, rather than electrical and mechanical gremlins with the S Class which are hard to diagnose and fix which translate to more cost and more time at the shops.

If you want to compare the same age Merc S class, look here:

Old 01-06-23, 10:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
Yes, those 2007-2012 LS460's are not the most reliable compared to the RX and ES, however I will take my chances with well known mechanical fixes for them, rather than electrical and mechanical gremlins with the S Class which are hard to diagnose and fix which translate to more cost and more time at the shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg9Fy0RlOMk
Never considered or knew that the pano roof had 3 motors whereas the moonroof just on.
Old 01-07-23, 05:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just some historical points here:

1.The first generation ML came out before the RX. The first ML rolled off the assembly line in February 1997 while the first Harrier did the same in December 1997. The Lexus version, the RX, didn’t come until 1998. Mercedes also showed a concept with these design features before Toyota/Lexus did. Design freeze was in 1994 while the RX design wasn’t frozen until 1995. Pretty hard to copy design features when you were ahead on the product development cycle don’t you think?

2. The first gen ML was was body on frame SUV. And yes quality and reliability were bad. Lexus ended up with a winning formula that continues today with the RX but guess who eventually was able to command higher prices for their midsize SUV, with some variants costing over $100k? Wasn’t Lexus.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-07-23 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-07-23, 06:25 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

https://youtu.be/ZvTJ9GcKV40
It is, between the same year range 460 and W221 I would pick the USF40/41 every time. These cars only have 3 true trouble areas vs randomly failing major systems on the 221
Old 01-07-23, 07:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
but guess who eventually was able to command higher prices for their midsize SUV, with some variants costing over $100k? Wasn’t Lexus.
Lexus already had the Lexus LX450 in 96 and then LX470 in 1998. RX is the most popular and successful core over hands down, because of the lower price.
Old 01-07-23, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg9Fy0RlOMk
Thats a W221, I know generationally thats the comparison but I'm talking about the 222 that I have which has shown that its nothing like that. The 13-17 LS460s are no different, they have all the same systems and underlying potential issues. There are several 13-17 460s in the 460 forum right now with valley plate leaks, people have already had air suspension failures, mine and others have had brake actuator failures.

You miss my point, my point is that the LS is not like an ES either, the comparison is degrees of potential problems...an LS460 isn't going to be trouble free.

Originally Posted by Striker223
It is, between the same year range 460 and W221 I would pick the USF40/41 every time. These cars only have 3 true trouble areas vs randomly failing major systems on the 221
I'm not talking about the 221s I'm talking about the 222s. I would choose an LS460 over a 221 too every time, on top of that I just like it better.
Old 01-07-23, 09:16 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus already had the Lexus LX450 in 96 and then LX470 in 1998. RX is the most popular and successful core over hands down, because of the lower price.

Whats your point? Those aren’t midsize SUVs and the LX didn’t cross the $100k threshold until a few years ago. Lexus doesn’t play on the super high end very well, which has been discussed ad nauseam. I was never disputing the RX’s continued and well deserved popularity which I mentioned in my earlier post.

Last edited by TangoRed; 01-07-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-07-23, 09:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
. Lexus doesn’t play on the super high end very well, which has been discussed ad nauseam.
Weird to compare the ML to the RX. Two different segments, they never really competed

Thats a W221, I know generationally thats the comparison but I'm talking about the 222 that I have which has shown that its nothing like that. The 13-17 LS460s are no different, they have all the same systems and underlying potential issues. There are several 13-17 460s in the 460 forum right now with valley plate leaks, people have already had air suspension failures, mine and others have had brake actuator failures.

r.
Lexus LS460 will have less things to wrong compared to the comparable Mercedes at the time. LS has never been on the same level as the Germans.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-07-23 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$