Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I think we had similar "anxiety" before crossing the line. My wife gave me a push, "you don't keep it too long anyway. Why not try something new?" And some here, you included, gave the final push. Best decision on obtaining a new car ever for me. I don't have a flagship vehicle but compared to similar Lexus, I totally agree with those bold text. It's been "free" services for me. I'm too tempted to keep it longer but at the same time reluctant. If the LCI is not crazy, I may take it.
Yep, we did! I think the next "anxiety" would come from keeping one a while...
Old 12-13-22, 10:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh you will be fine lol, just make sure you are on top of maintenance and do not let it degenerate. Swap out the turbos at 125k miles and if you have a water to oil or water to air coolers swap them out as well to remove any risk of a serious failure, realistically though if you just maintain all fluids and filters you won't ever run into those issues.
Old 12-13-22, 10:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Swap out the turbos at 125k miles and if you have a water to oil or water to air coolers swap them out as well to remove any risk of a serious failure, s.
This just tells you there why long term German ownership is risky.
Old 12-13-22, 10:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

You get over it. As of 4 months ago, we now have two out-of-warranty Germans in the driveway, not concerned in the slightest. The Q7 that recently celebrated its fourth birthday will eventually be the third German car we keep for 10+ years, and I'll be starting the clock over on another one in the spring.

I think the main thing I've learned that really bites people in the *** is that European cars are WAY less tolerant of deferred and ignored maintenance than others. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you.
Old 12-13-22, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh you will be fine lol, just make sure you are on top of maintenance and do not let it degenerate. Swap out the turbos at 125k miles and if you have a water to oil or water to air coolers swap them out as well to remove any risk of a serious failure, realistically though if you just maintain all fluids and filters you won't ever run into those issues.
I would never keep it to 125k miles, just might say keep it 2-3 more years after the lease, so maybe to 75k miles

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexuses now have turbos too. Thats not an issue with German vs Japanese, its an issue with Turbo vs Naturally Aspirated.

Originally Posted by geko29
think the main thing I've learned that really bites people in the *** is that European cars are WAY less tolerant of deferred and ignored maintenance than others. Take care of them, and they'll take care of you.
Yeah, that I think is true for sure. Don't let them get away from you.
Old 12-13-22, 10:48 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Eh, you probably don't need to but I consider turbos a wear item by design. I like using my cars to max performance and would not want to ever have doubts about the impellers having clearance problems, I already measured mine once and will do so again in 20k.

I also forgot to mention replace the oil separator/PCV block every 65k or so to again avoid any risk of issues. IMO it's worth the extra annoyance to have 2x the firepower on hand vs a Toyota product
Old 12-13-22, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the specs, performance, heritage and image of an s-class is a huge reason why people buy mercedes. if $3K extra in 2 years maintenance cost pushes someone to a lexus over a mercedes then they were probably never a likely mercedes flagship customer anyway.
If there is an extra $3K every two years for a Mercedes versus a Lexus, how much extra does one pay over 10 years of ownership? What if you own two German cars?
Old 12-13-22, 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Eh, you probably don't need to but I consider turbos a wear item by design. I like using my cars to max performance and would not want to ever have doubts about the impellers having clearance problems, I already measured mine once and will do so again in 20k.

I also forgot to mention replace the oil separator/PCV block every 65k or so to again avoid any risk of issues. IMO it's worth the extra annoyance to have 2x the firepower on hand vs a Toyota product
Most people its easy to just lease a car than do all this stuff long term
Old 12-13-22, 11:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Most people its easy to just lease a car than do all this stuff long term
Then I fail to see the issue at all, always buy German in that case.
Old 12-13-22, 11:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I have never understood why people lease a Toyota or a Lexus. Just lease a German car,,,,
Old 12-13-22, 11:43 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Correct, I don't see the problem with owning a German car in this case too.

As @SW17LS mentioned, if you are the type of person worried about spending 3k on maintenance, then you weren't the target market for a new S Class Mercedes flagship.

I say this coming from the perspective of someone who is cheap and would struggle to pay 3k on maintenance for a new S Class Mercedes
Old 12-13-22, 12:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Correct, I don't see the problem with owning a German car in this case too.

As @SW17LS mentioned, if you are the type of person worried about spending 3k on maintenance, then you weren't the target market for a new S Class Mercedes flagship.

I say this coming from the perspective of someone who is cheap and would struggle to pay 3k on maintenance for a new S Class Mercedes
Yeah the prices are something else, I'm staring down about 3k in parts for one right now to do some maintenance and for a second I questioned if it's worth it lol!
Old 12-13-22, 12:23 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Yeah the prices are something else, I'm staring down about 3k in parts for one right now to do some maintenance and for a second I questioned if it's worth it lol!
For your A8?
Old 12-13-22, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If there is an extra $3K every two years for a Mercedes versus a Lexus, how much extra does one pay over 10 years of ownership? What if you own two German cars?
Remember those numbers are skewed because Lexus includes the first two services free, and my LS was not serviced at the dealer while the S has been. Like I said going forward, I expect it to be about 50% more to service the Mercedes vs the Lexus. For instance the S Class has longer wearing ceramic brakes now, will it need brakes again in 30k miles? maybe not. The cost of maintenance for the S was run up a lot because I used the dealer at astronomical cost. It should be much cheaper going forward...and remember I could have had 4 years of maintenance for $50 a month (including brakes) that was just foolish to pass on that. One of those rare cases where the urging of the finance manager was actually legit.

But...better things cost more. If you want the *best* you have to pay for it, and as a car the German cars are just better by and large (there are some exceptions), and they cost more to buy and more to maintain.
Old 12-13-22, 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But...better things cost more. If you want the *best* you have to pay for it, and as a car the German cars are just better by and large (there are some exceptions), and they cost more to buy and more to maintain.
And as I said earlier. That is why people flock to Lexus as an alternative. They are cheaper to maintain and repair. And they carry a little extra in warranty for the power train

There is nothing better about a German car breaking and having a repair vs a brand that has their parts last 2X longer.

https://www.motor1.com/products-serv...ntenance-cost/

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-22 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$