Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 04:23 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just some historical points here:

1.The first generation ML came out before the RX. The first ML rolled off the assembly line in February 1997 while the first Harrier did the same in December 1997. The Lexus version, the RX, didn’t come until 1998. Mercedes also showed a concept with these design features before Toyota/Lexus did. Design freeze was in 1994 while the RX design wasn’t frozen until 1995. Pretty hard to copy design features when you were ahead on the product development cycle don’t you think?

2. The first gen ML was was body on frame SUV. And yes quality and reliability were bad. Lexus ended up with a winning formula that continues today with the RX but guess who eventually was able to command higher prices for their midsize SUV, with some variants costing over $100k? Wasn’t Lexus.
That is correct. The ML came out before the RX. Did I say different. Apologies. So the claim is the RX was copied from the ML - exterior wise.
Old 01-07-23, 04:49 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting stuff. I was wondering because your model first started production in 1979, so what might have been added over the years such as computers and electronics. So fascinating. Also, wondering what debuted in 1979 that was state of the art. How do you do for parts? Easy to get? OEM? Or aftermarket..

Is that your W126 @LexsCTJill ? The steering wheel is on the wrong side while you seem to be from ON/NY.

Anyways, the interior is from a Gen I. Gen II W126 started from 1987 and continued till 1991. They continued production in South Africa till 1993. I used to own a 1984 W126 380SE so I can compare.

Parts for the 126 are not hard to source. Few items are NLA. You can get parts from Autohauz, AZ. Or FCP Euro (lifetime warranty on everything they sell). Then there is the Mercedes Classic Center who will procure hard to find parts for you from Germany. And for Trim pieces that are NLA, EBay sells many. Forum members (mercedessource.com) can help or sell parts.

As for differences between Gen 1 and Gen II:
  1. Headlight surround changed
  2. Side cladding changed from grooved to plain
  3. Warm Up Regulator was changed to EHA (Electro Hydraulic Actuator) and controlled by the ECU. This is for Fuel Injection.
  4. Seat pleats changed from Vertical to Horizontal
  5. Seat leather changed from hard and tough (cardboard like) to soft and supple.
  6. Tire changed from 14 inch to 15 inch
  7. Tire rims changed from what is called "Mexican Hat" to Smooth ones called Gullideckel wheels.
  8. Fuel Pump Relay got relocated to behind the false firewall.
  9. A rudimentary diagnostic system was added behind the false firewall. It worked by counting the number of light flashes.
  10. Of course other models of the Becker radio were used.
Apologies for digressing from raison d'etre for this forum - which is to discuss Lexus. This particular thread allows some some off topic dalliance.
Old 01-07-23, 05:04 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

^^ That was awesome!
Off topic which means my post is too, my apologies

I really like talking about these MB's but dang guys- some of us, cough... me.... cough... don't know them by their "W" designations- so much of it goes over my head.
Spoiler

Old 01-07-23, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Sadly FCP Euro has revamped their lifetime warranty so that it’s no longer as remarkable…
Old 01-07-23, 07:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Sadly FCP Euro has revamped their lifetime warranty so that it’s no longer as remarkable…
Yeah it actually angered me. I held off ordering stuff for my 2015 but if I had known they were planning to change it I would have bought a set of suspension, struts, turbos, brakes, engine mounts, and trans service items ahead of the changes. Nothing beats their old warranty
Old 01-07-23, 08:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah it actually angered me. I held off ordering stuff for my 2015 but if I had known they were planning to change it I would have bought a set of suspension, struts, turbos, brakes, engine mounts, and trans service items ahead of the changes. Nothing beats their old warranty
Yeah it’s a bummer, but I understand…
Old 01-07-23, 08:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo2648
Is that your W126 @LexsCTJill ? The steering wheel is on the wrong side while you seem to be from ON/NY.

Anyways, the interior is from a Gen I. Gen II W126 started from 1987 and continued till 1991. They continued production in South Africa till 1993. I used to own a 1984 W126 380SE so I can compare.

Parts for the 126 are not hard to source. Few items are NLA. You can get parts from Autohauz, AZ. Or FCP Euro (lifetime warranty on everything they sell). Then there is the Mercedes Classic Center who will procure hard to find parts for you from Germany. And for Trim pieces that are NLA, EBay sells many. Forum members (mercedessource.com) can help or sell parts.

As for differences between Gen 1 and Gen II:
  1. Headlight surround changed
  2. Side cladding changed from grooved to plain
  3. Warm Up Regulator was changed to EHA (Electro Hydraulic Actuator) and controlled by the ECU. This is for Fuel Injection.
  4. Seat pleats changed from Vertical to Horizontal
  5. Seat leather changed from hard and tough (cardboard like) to soft and supple.
  6. Tire changed from 14 inch to 15 inch
  7. Tire rims changed from what is called "Mexican Hat" to Smooth ones called Gullideckel wheels.
  8. Fuel Pump Relay got relocated to behind the false firewall.
  9. A rudimentary diagnostic system was added behind the false firewall. It worked by counting the number of light flashes.
  10. Of course other models of the Becker radio were used.
Apologies for digressing from raison d'etre for this forum - which is to discuss Lexus. This particular thread allows some some off topic dalliance.
No. Not my car, I just looked on the internet for a 1979 SEL. I just think it’s interesting that car started in the 70s and ended in 90 so the industry changed so much. When I got to the local car meets, it is of my interest to see how cars went from pure mechanical to more electronic and computerized. Mercedes used to dip their cars in wax at the factory if ordered. I wonder if yours was?
Old 01-08-23, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
You're right bitkahuna.
It is a "generalization".
[anecdotes]
Surely, it is fair to make a generalization?
Is there a law that prohibits us from making generalizations?
I think most people are aware that German motor vehicles are more expensive to maintain.
your generalization was that all benz is unreliable, not that they're more expensive to maintain, but obviously the latter would follow from the former.
you're free to make generalizations of course, but i don't think it's a very useful one because reliability varies (often greatly) by model, trim level, and especially which year.
i do think a reasonable generalization that benz maintenance (at dealer) costs are high.
i'm not saying i'm any sort of arbiter, it's just my opinion.

Old 01-08-23, 04:17 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No. Not my car, I just looked on the internet for a 1979 SEL. I just think it’s interesting that car started in the 70s and ended in 90 so the industry changed so much. When I got to the local car meets, it is of my interest to see how cars went from pure mechanical to more electronic and computerized. Mercedes used to dip their cars in wax at the factory if ordered. I wonder if yours was?
No. I think my car is stock. But 33 yrs and counting with no rust. It has been a Florida car of course. I did not know Wax Dipping was an option.
Old 01-08-23, 04:23 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

You might be interested in seeing how robust each electrical connector is in the (my 1990) Mercedes.

Each connector is silver plated. Each is a 2 mm cylindrical connector - not a blade. You cant bend it. All connectors are well enclosed and still easy to take off.
Old 01-08-23, 09:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

No. I think my car is stock. But 33 yrs and counting with no rust. It has been a Florida car of course. I did not know Wax Dipping was an option.
here. Not sure when they stopped. I was wrong though, it is not an option, all of them get it. Incredible that MB tells you how many kilograms of material is used

You might be interested in seeing how robust each electrical connector is in the (my 1990) Mercedes.

Each connector is silver plated. Each is a 2 mm cylindrical connector - not a blade. You cant bend it. All connectors are well enclosed and still easy to take off.

I’d love to see detailed pics one day. Such cool stuff. I can find almost anything interesting about cars. Interesting stuff all about, for example my 04 4R, the door sill protectors are not stuck on by adhesive glue…they are snapped right into the sheet metal, they pre cut rectangular holes in the metal to fit. Or my cabin air filter for my 04 is screwed in, parts are needed where my new 21 is just simple with no tools required.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-08-23 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-09-23, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

License plate brackets, Mercedes for the fail LOL. If you want the story check out the General Car Chat thread lol
Old 01-10-23, 05:34 PM
hugo2648
Pit Crew

Since I notice a interest in the technical aspects, I am attaching some pictures of my 1990 420SEL with captions below it (if I can)

Above are the relays. See how robust they are. Silver plated cylindrical coonectors.

Drivers side view.Long rectangular thinggy is the ABS pump. The cylinder is the Power steering pump. The yellow hoses are Fuel Supply and return. I have them enclosed in yellow heat shrink tubing to further insulate them. The supply comes from a pipe which is air conditioned to cool down the fuel. You see that coming out of the HVAC insulation.

The central octagonal thing on the left is the fuel distributor. And the round thing next to it is the Air Flow metering plate. THis is the Continuous Injection System (CIS). The Plate is pressed down by flow of Air. That then uncovers slits in the fuel distributor to supply fuel to the injectors. Injectors open by fuel pressure like in Diesels - not via an electrical pulse. THe big black round object with Mercedes logo is the spark distributor.

You can see the false firewall. Behind it is the battery and the windshield washer reservoir which is heated. False firewall keeps the battery and other electronics behind it cooler

More coming in the next post.
Old 01-10-23, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They don't make them like that anymore! MBs do still use the false firewall...
Old 01-10-23, 05:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

I love working on those, the mechanical injection in particular is so fun to watch work.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$