Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-22, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Great post ^^^. I agree
Old 12-13-22, 02:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The most important thing is that you enjoy the car, regardless of brand or model or whatevers. If you buy a car based on maintenance costs but does not enjoy driving the car, it would have been a miserable 2 yr experience. Anyone that owns a $123k German should expect high maintenance costs and not complain about it or worry about gas mileage. And an extra $2,500 over 2 yrs is peanuts. I'm sure if you or anyone else paid closer attention to what you had spent on all yr, I'm sure you could find more than $2,500 in wasted money over 2 yrs. None of what I wrote are criticisms, just general statements.

Like my GX, I know tires will be expensive, brakes will wear out quicker and sucks down T-Rexes like they are a dime a dozen. It's all part of it and more importantly, I love driving the thing. Just trade offs. Although I had to say, the driver seat has this one pressure point that causes a pinching pain on my left butt cheeks, again just trade offs lol.
Yep, completely agree...
Old 12-13-22, 03:02 PM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For instance the S Class has longer wearing ceramic brakes now, ...
How's the brake feel, performance (cold / hot / wet / repeated) & (most importantly for a good looking street car, IMO ) dust?
Old 12-13-22, 03:54 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
For your A8?
I'm picking up a W12 tomorrow and was preemptively getting a service pack together, all fluids/filters, tires, brakes, new oil separator, plugs, and a set of floor mats.

It added up quickly, I'm hoping rotors are good since those are directly off the S8 and cost about $400 each.
Old 12-13-22, 04:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'm picking up a W12 tomorrow and was preemptively getting a service pack together, all fluids/filters, tires, brakes, new oil separator, plugs, and a set of floor mats.

It added up quickly, I'm hoping rotors are good since those are directly off the S8 and cost about $400 each.
Congrats! Give us some pics and review
Old 12-13-22, 04:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

But thats the thing, they don't flock to Lexus. At a much lower price point Lexus competes well, but they have struggled their whole existence to compete at the upper end. Mercedes outsells Lexus in the US and so does BMW, and their average transaction prices are a lot higher.

If you are conscious about cost, Lexus has a lot of appeal, but a lot of luxury consumers are not that conscious about cost, and to them its not a factor. Quite frankly, I just spent $3,000 on a desk chair. Its all relative.

Perhaps not if all you care about is the cost of repairs and maintenance, thats not me. I care about having the best car that I can get in any given category, and I have that. Yes it costs more but its better. Full stop. As a car from a performance, technology, quality and design perspective nothing Lexus makes outside of the LC is even close.

There are a lot of people who really care a lot about value and limiting costs for things, and some people who make a lot of money are like that, for them Lexus is a great option. There are also a lot of people who don't worry about stuff like that and want the best car, and the Germans have it all over Lexus there. What I miss was Lexus making a car that was a car that competed with the Germans and yet also was well made and reasonable to maintain.

My point in this thread is, if people want to branch out and try a German car, don't be afraid and do it. Yes they cost more, but this concept that they are broken down all the time or that everything is absurdly expensive is just not true largely.
Yep. Totally agree, I only ever bothered with Lexus since I wanted to try the concept of the flagship to see if it's for me or not. Since they are so reliable I felt it was low risk/I would be able to get out of easily, the 430 impressed me so much I got a 460.....that lead to an A8 and now I'm moving to a 12 cyl.

Honestly even the desk chair you got makes total sense to me if you use it a lot, we have a 9k mattress since sleep is important lol! It's all a matter of priorities and what is worth it to you vs not.
Old 12-13-22, 04:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Congrats! Give us some pics and review
Will do!

This is all pending the car checks out well and negotiations go as planed, it's a 400 mile drive out there but I already have them down 30% off asking. I'm hoping it closes like I want it to lol!
Old 12-13-22, 04:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Will do!

This is all pending the car checks out well and negotiations go as planed, it's a 400 mile drive out there but I already have them down 30% off asking. I'm hoping it closes like I want it to lol!
That's awesome! I hope it turns out well
Old 12-13-22, 04:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Since I wasn't ever interested in a V12, that never moved the needle for me. The vast majority of German luxury sedans were not sold as V12s. LS460 had an option of short or long wheelbase. Options being available that I can't afford or don't want to afford don't impact my purchase decisions and I venture to say they don't for most buyers.

I drove and owned these cars when they were new, the LS always compared. Yes of course it being cheaper has always been part of its appeal, but you were getting a car that was 95% as good for 70% of the cost. Now you're getting a car that's 70% as good for 70% of the cost and thats not a value.
Yep, post 460 there is no comparison anymore. I'm not motivated to remain with Lexus since I'll be stuck with 2nd rate cars if I do, I'm forced to look at D5s/W222 AMG cars if I want to move up. The 460 was the last true flagship from Lexus and even then, the refresh was badly behind in some ways.

I could never have justified spending the same money on a same year/mile LS460 as I did on my 4.0TT A8 since the gap is unreal.
Old 12-13-22, 04:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
just look at the performance of the Lexus versus a Mercedes in the comparison from car and driver. Look at the braking distances. They have the same horsepower ratings. Look at the performance times.
Stock tires on the 460 are trash. It's actually far more capable than that test would lead you to believe.....shockingly so.
Old 12-13-22, 06:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

I'm not motivated to remain with Lexus since I'll be stuck with 2nd rate cars if I do,
i know you're a big sedan fan, but i don't consider my lc500 '2nd rate'. i also don't consider it the same as an amg coupe for example, or even perhaps an sl580 or whatever the latest numbering scheme is.

i do consider the lc500 as a unicorn though, maybe like the original ls400 was. very unique. impeccable quality. bank vault stiff. yet with a cheeky exhaust roar when you get on it, while being quiet during highway cruising. on top of all that, i just love the looks of it.

yes it's not turbo'd but i'm absolutely fine with that, in fact, it made me think this just might be a keeper car because that lexus v8 is so reliable.

would i enjoy a mercedes? i'm sure i would. would i keep one past a few years? absolutely not. however my neighbor does, has a local good 'european car' mechanic, and is very happy with them.
Old 12-13-22, 07:04 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

the LS 600h is the last time i think the LS really competed with the S-Class

in terms of overall feel, pricing, innovation, and performance that was really kind of the final hurrah for the LS... i would genuinely consider that an S600 competitor, you're sacrificing a bit of performance but getting much more practical efficiency

up until that point i'd say the LS was always an alternative to any base model S-Class but toyota obviously doesn't feel like making that much of an effort anymore
Old 12-13-22, 07:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Stock tires on the 460 are trash. It's actually far more capable than that test would lead you to believe.....shockingly so.
Lexus had a Sport 460 in 2010. It barely moved the perception of the brand.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the LS 600h is the last time i think the LS really competed with the S-Class
e
Faux, simulated V12. Wasn’t good enough. Cool try by Lexus Powertrain still lives on with the Century. At least Toyota once had a V12

Nice. Can’t wait to hear about it. When I’m in Ohio. I want to try it out. You promised

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-22 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 07:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Faux, simulated V12. Wasn’t good enough. Powertrain still lives on with the Century. At least Toyota once had a V12
the little V12 in the century (as lovely as it is) could never even remotely compete with the output and thrust of the S600 V12, which is not only bigger it's twin-turbo as well

frankly the century V12 wasn't even a match for the previous M120 V12 in the W140 chassis, which then went on to be the basis for future pagani zonda engines and the totally insane and awesome CLK GTR
Old 12-13-22, 07:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the little V12 in the century (as lovely as it is) could never even remotely compete with the output and thrust of the S600 V12, which is not only bigger it's twin-turbo as well

frankly the century V12 wasn't even a match for the previous M120 V12 in the W140 chassis, which then went on to be the basis for future pagani zonda engines and the totally insane and awesome CLK GTR
100% You are right the V12 in the Century was no match for a Mercedes V12. But Lexus still never had one which a brand mistake IMO. There was a time when Mercedes had 4 different V12 engines in one generation. Lexus LS has never been close to the S class. Heck, when the LS430 was out..the S class was offering AWD while the LS still had rwd only

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_S-Class

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-22 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Two years in, life with a Mercedes is a lot like life with a Lexus...just a little +$