Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A8l w12 ceja 6.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-23, 02:11 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Went on my first road trip with the 12, it did extremely well and really set the standard for a sense of extreme ease. It's the best road trip car I've ever been in, extremely relaxed but always able to quickly react if desired. Isolation and noise is exceptional, engine is totally invisible when at a desired speed....dropping to N from any speed doesn't result in any change of harmonics or noise whatsoever. Audio system is amazing and still actively enjoyable to use.

I have an extremely faint/intermittent wind hiss at 90-110 though, I need to figure out what is causing it but I think it's the pano roof 2nd section. The assist systems worked well, my wife drove separately and I used her car as my lock on target.

MPG was better than expected considering I still haven't had time to decarbon and tune it, only reason I even took it was because we needed two cars so it served as an excuse.

I really love this car but it's just proving how hard to replace it's going to be, I've never had a vehicle this exceptional and it's not close at all.

Way better than I thought it would do, the 460 only got 28.5 so the gap is minor under these conditions. Range is over 500 as is

Obligatory thermal pics

Last edited by Striker223; 09-15-23 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-15-23, 04:26 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I have an extremely faint/intermittent wind hiss at 90-110 though, I need to figure out what is causing it but I think it's the pano roof 2nd section. The assist systems worked well, my wife drove separately and I used her car as my lock on target.
That’s weird that it only makes that noise between those speeds.
Old 09-15-23, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Little wind noises like that can be really hard to pin down…
Old 09-15-23, 05:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
it's in the warp core, captain.

I really love this car but it's just proving how hard to replace it's going to be, I've never had a vehicle this exceptional and it's not close at all.
why think about what's replacing it now? just enjoy it!
Old 09-15-23, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why think about what's replacing it now? just enjoy it!
This comes with age I think. I was the same way when I was his age, always thinking about what was next and what I was going to get that was better, and I find in my 40s that interests me far less.
Old 09-15-23, 08:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Little wind noises like that can be really hard to pin down…
Originally Posted by SW17LS
This comes with age I think. I was the same way when I was his age, always thinking about what was next and what I was going to get that was better, and I find in my 40s that interests me far less.
Yeah you are right Steve lol! I honestly don't feel any need to replace/upgrade whatsoever but I just don't want to "stop trying" so to speak lol!

I have no idea why it's only in that speed range, it's so faint that I thought it was the ice in my water cup tapping around at first but I picked that up and held it way to my left and the noise didn't move with it. I'm running into the issue of it's not constant and also requires that window of speed to happen on top of being unusually quiet for what it is. I had a way easier time of finding and fixing the LS460s wind noise but then again even when fixed that car has way more of it.
Old 09-15-23, 09:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah you are right Steve lol! I honestly don't feel any need to replace/upgrade whatsoever but I just don't want to "stop trying" so to speak lol!
Why replace at all? Just keep the old cars. Who says you have to trade something in to get a new or new to you car?

Sure you'll have some logistics problems with parking and garage space, but whatever. I'd never get rid of any of our cars, and won't. Unless they just become junk money pits.
Old 09-15-23, 10:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Why replace at all? Just keep the old cars. Who says you have to trade something in to get a new or new to you car?

Sure you'll have some logistics problems with parking and garage space, but whatever. I'd never get rid of any of our cars, and won't. Unless they just become junk money pits.
Oh this is one of two cars that I'll always keep but I meant for primary usage
Old 09-15-23, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For me, I get tired of cars after a while. For right now I'm ready for SOMETHING new, I've had a Chrysler Pacifica since 2017 for instance, might I feel like I can keep my S once I replace that with something new? I might. Its not that I specifically have an issue with my car its just a desire to have something different. I only want 2 cars so that means I have to trade them in.
Old 09-15-23, 11:05 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

That night vision is A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

If I had that across my windshield, I could drive at night again with no blinding glare.
Old 01-22-24, 04:26 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

So I did/am doing something I never thought I would be doing with this car....I'm straight up daily driving it.

It's so irresistibly superior of an experience I can't help it, on cold days like this it even further separates itself from anything else I've driven before.

Walk over to it in the garage, lights bleed in as I walk to the front of the car and remove the tender, I open my door and I hear fuel prime, suspension adjust down slightly, see the W12 emblem projected...I sit down, key on and have the wheel come to me and seat comes alive and the active bolsters activate, engine start is commanded and you can hear the turbine like sound of a 12 starter followed by a 2000rpm activation bark. Then I set the door to the latch, let it close itself and went to leave, whole time I'm already getting heart rate up just from doing nothing exciting at all lol!

I use nothing but idle to leave the garage and the subdivision, RPMs are kept under 2000 until the first half of my trip is done.....there is a roundabout on the first half in a 55 zone I don't slow for whatsoever and I feel the first lateral G hit while all traffic behind me has to slow. Then it's a few more miles to 36/37, once there I allow myself a nice 3k rpm to attain 70 and make the incoming pack of cars "stop" relative to myself. A few miles more like this, the whole time thus far I'm enjoying a nice hot stone massage with the cooled seats ensuring no sweat buildup as the B&O is on quite loud fully encasing me in my own world......

Then soon enough my left hand turn to north old state shows up and seeing the incoming side is clear I dive in at 70 into a 4 wheel drift onto north old, the car is already in dynamic with full TVD intervention from when I changed it over half way on 36/37 and the ZF8 is already pre dropped to 3rd gear and I hammer it full power the second my drift is leveling out to 130 mph in less than 1/4 mile distance. I coast back down to 70 and check 1/2 mile ahead for the corners status and take the 15/25 mph set of twin Ss and long sweepers at a fairly relaxed 57/70 mph until the hills start and I back off near the crests in case someone is cutting to my half. On the flats I go full 130 until reaching the last hill where I bleed 130-55 where I also revert to comfort mode for the rest of my drive to the shop.......the hum of the W12 recedes to silence and the suspension and steering revert to smooth softness.

I do not care about putting miles on this car anymore. Nothing else makes you feel like a car of this class does and it's incredible. I have NEVER been half as excited by any other cars that were supercars on a summer evening and I get more emotion out of a single drive to work than my LSs gave me the whole time I've owned them.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-22-24 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-22-24, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

So I did/am doing something I never thought I would be doing with this car....I'm straight up daily driving it.

It's so irresistibly superior of an experience I can't help it, on cold days like this it even further separates itself from anything else I've driven before.

Walk over to it in the garage, lights bleed in as I walk to the front of the car and remove the tender, I open my door and I hear fuel prime, suspension adjust down slightly, see the W12 emblem projected...I sit down, key on and have the wheel come to me and seat comes alive and the active bolsters activate, engine start is commanded and you can hear the turbine like sound of a 12 starter followed by a 2000rpm activation bark. Then I set the door to the latch, let it close itself and went to leave, whole time I'm already getting heart rate up just from doing nothing exciting at all lol!

I use nothing but idle to leave the garage and the subdivision, RPMs are kept under 2000 until the first half of my trip is done.....there is a roundabout on the first half in a 55 zone I don't slow for whatsoever and I feel the first lateral G hit while all traffic behind me has to slow. Then it's a few more miles to 36/37, once there I allow myself a nice 3k rpm to attain 70 and make the incoming pack of cars "stop" relative to myself. A few miles more like this, the whole time thus far I'm enjoying a nice hot stone massage with the cooled seats ensuring no sweat buildup as the B&O is on quite loud fully encasing me in my own world......

Then soon enough my left hand turn to north old state shows up and seeing the incoming side is clear I dive in at 70 into a 4 wheel drift onto north old, the car is already in dynamic with full TVD intervention from when I changed it over half way on 36/37 and the ZF8 is already pre dropped to 3rd gear and I hammer it full power the second my drift is leveling out to 130 mph in less than 1/4 mile distance. I coast back down to 70 and check 1/2 mile ahead for the corners status and take the 15/25 mph set of twin Ss and long sweepers at a fairly relaxed 57/70 mph until the hills start and I back off near the crests in case someone is cutting to my half. On the flats I go full 130 until reaching the last hill where I bleed 130-55 where I also revert to comfort mode for the rest of my drive to the shop.......the hum of the W12 recedes to silence and the suspension and steering revert to smooth softness.

I do not care about putting miles on this car anymore. Nothing else makes you feel like a car of this class does and it's incredible. I have NEVER been half as excited by any other cars that were supercars on a summer evening and I get more emotion out of a single drive to work than my LSs gave me the whole time I've owned them.
Great story. There is no replacement for displacement… 6.3 is epic. Plus, you’ve got 12 cylinders.
Old 01-22-24, 08:38 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,005 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Great story. There is no replacement for displacement… 6.3 is epic. Plus, you’ve got 12 cylinders.
Heck yeah.

Plus, I think it's awesome to buy a car that was over $100k new for a daily driver.

Seriously thinking about picking up an older MB CL series.

​​​​​​I miss my CL500!
Old 01-22-24, 10:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Heck yeah.

Plus, I think it's awesome to buy a car that was over $100k new for a daily driver.

Seriously thinking about picking up an older MB CL series.

​​​​​​I miss my CL500!
better be a CL600… or don’t post

just joking….don’t let the alligators out on me…

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-22-24 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-22-24, 10:28 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

oh yea 12 cyls do have a special starter motor sound... it's like if you take a subaru starter motor and do the exact opposite lol

Quick Reply: A8l w12 ceja 6.3