Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A8l w12 ceja 6.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 01:01 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Oh, fronts and rears. Sounds fine for both with OEM components from a dealer.
Old 12-18-22, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Very cool, congrats!
Old 12-18-22, 02:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Congrats again on the new flagship!
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Very cool, congrats!
Thanks guys!
Old 12-18-22, 04:39 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Logo

Adjustable ambient lights, you have 6 zones and can pick intensity and colors.

W12 only door sill

Front

Rear

ACC and thermal NV

Thermal system is really fun, it easily can tell if a car has been on or not as seen by my buddies ES.

Here are some more pictures
Old 12-18-22, 05:10 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Congrats Striker!

What a unique engine. I thought Audi just bolted two 3.2 V6's together like a V12 until I actually read about it. The W12 is very compact.

Old 12-18-22, 06:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I haven't had a chance to really clean it properly but here are some interior pictures.

Everyone loves the thing lol! Probably a really horrible idea (I have no idea what oil is in it) but we drove it somewhat hard and it performs amazingly. I'm liking it more than my other one for sure, the quality isn't as high/uniform as the LS460 but the driving experience is superb.

MPG is a joke though, we fried 140 miles of range in about 50-60 miles. I think I can get it to average 20 but I will have to be mindful, it's just so responsive and powerful at all times it's entirely possible to be in gear and pick up 30 mph. It nearly never needs to shift and even at 2500 rpm the TQ is simply insane.
Old 12-18-22, 06:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

It looks like its in great shape!

Are you going to sell or keep the 4.0?
Old 12-18-22, 06:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
My car has arrived! This makes the 2nd D4 A8 and 4th flagship in my lineup. Shipping went well and for making the supremely unwise decision of buying sight unseen I'm shocked how little is wrong.

The only issues appear to be a PS/front main leak, not sure yet but I'll know when I get it on the lift. Based on how it drives/responds/acts I do not think I will find much else wrong underneath but you never know. Air suspension works perfectly from all tests and checks, same with the variable steering and TVD. I absolutely love the way it handles itself vs my 4.0T even on the crap tires it came with.

Limiter is insultingly low.....power delivery is unlike anything else I have ever felt, you never need more than 1500 rpm to accelerate normally and the immediacy and smoothness is insane. Totally puts my tuned 4.0 to shame, there is simply never a dead spot or delay and the pull is infinite up top.

The only other issue I could find is the B&O sub is blown, I'm going to pull it and see if it's a foam or dust cover issue. It appears to be a dust cover rattle to me but I'm not sure....

Here are a few pictures, I'll have more later

My two favorites.

Almost the same color as well, I like bright silvers over all other colors.

Codes are basically non-existent and all special tests were good to go and I have control over all systems with no delays. I'm shocked by this.

Transient issue, just a minor comm dropout issue with the left rear seat adjustment control

Im somewhat surprised it only has 48 control computers, I was expecting around 70 or so.

Oh it needs front brakes as well, so I'm instantly out 3k already lol! I can probably still use these for another 10k or so but they are well past spec on the rotors.

It's also insane how much attention this draws, I had multiple cars staring at me/drifting into my lane in my neighborhood and between there and the gas station. The people next door and across the way came out and were asking a bunch of questions about it after noticing it's a 12cyl
Majestic Congrats I am so jealous

love to hear about the W12. That is the dream. And it’s a huge displacement which is awesome. The interior is so comprehensive and complex.

Congrats again Striker
Old 12-18-22, 07:05 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Scotty Kilmer would be proud.

Only fail was the Climate Control Unit Rear.
Old 12-18-22, 07:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

Good catch, looks like module is not responding- if equipped.
Looks equipped tho but can't tell for sure.
Old 12-18-22, 07:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It looks like its in great shape!

Are you going to sell or keep the 4.0?
Thank you!

I'm not sure, it's really hard to decide.

On one hand I greatly prefer driving this one but it is slower. I'm sure once it's serviced and tuned it will be dead even, but the thing is then it's clearly in favor of the W12 since I flat out prefer how it delivers power.

On the other hand even though the W12 is simple and in theory very reliable I would be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little scared of it. Even at my skill level it's still a majorly complex set of jobs and parts are just unavoidably expensive and more importantly/badly they are hard to get. That makes me nervous for long term viability vs the 4.0 that comparatively has parts everywhere and spare engines just laying around. Contrast this with a SINGLE 6.3 for sale in the nation right now, I've never owned something this rare/hard to replace that isn't a collectible gun and it's scary to me.

I have never been anxious about a car like this before. I will very likely sell the 4.0 to someone, perhaps my dad since he really was blown away by it when I first brought it by. He always asks to drive it and just loves it more than anything else he has owned since his dream since growing up in a 3rd world hole in the wall country was to own a car like that. He can easily afford these new but just has never been able to validate the purchase as a good decision.

The thing I do know is these two have reinforced to me just how much I love my LS460 and how amazing of a car it is. That one I'm keeping for sure. I have never had a car as exceptionally balanced as that one, all aspects are so perfectly in sync it's transcendent.
Old 12-18-22, 07:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Oh I figured I'll also mention.....BSM is still not as good as me watching and still had dead zones, lane assist is still "eh", ACC still doesn't always see small stuff and is still much more jerky than I am. It's actually a worse problem on the 12 than the 8 since in the 12 it brings rpm to say, 2300-2700 and while in the V8 that's fine with the 12 it's so much TQ it is disruptive and you can drop stuff if you aren't expecting it. There is no roll on, it's just an EV like wall right now.

That massively increased all rpm force actually caused an issue, I was nearing stopped traffic in ACC and the car went to slow to a stop but the right hand turn lane was open so I signaled and lane assist allowed me to move over......and the second I did ACC saw it was clear in front and gave me 2700 rpm and I went from 7-10mph to nearly 45 before I resumed normal control. That's why I hate these systems, if I back off and let them work they sometimes glitch and do stuff like this, add on how freaking heavy the power comes in and I was off guard with a way slower reaction than normal.

Smooth as hell but the TQ is insane.....it's just everywhere at any rpm/gear/throttle amount. It's so different from my other cars that on paper have 200-400 more TQ. I don't fully understand why to be honest, it's only 490ish lb/ft vs 630/790 in my V8s but it feels like more and it's so much stronger of a feeling.
Old 12-18-22, 07:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
Scotty Kilmer would be proud.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Good catch, looks like module is not responding- if equipped.
Looks equipped tho but can't tell for sure.
Yep, it intermittently loses control of one of the blend doors. Not something I really care about and it may very well be fixed since I cycled everything on the car at least once now to free things up. I have a feeling stuff has not been moved around/used in a long time on this car.
Old 12-18-22, 09:57 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

IMO keep the w12. You don't exactly appear to neglect your cars, especially the non-dailies. There's always something faster, but that's hardly the point with these. V/W12 has never been about outright power :P

The night vision shot... looks like pedestrians can still mask themselves Still super cool to see OEM night vision that's not "we put short length IR projectors in your headlights so that you get all the drawbacks of NV with none of the benefits" (Toyo/Lex, like come on... the thermal version is simpler, more reliable and way more effective... like that's exactly your type of thing >_<)
Old 12-18-22, 10:55 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Great find. Basically a de-tuned Bentley engine.

C/D averaged 15mpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

Quick Reply: A8l w12 ceja 6.3