Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A8l w12 ceja 6.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 03:17 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Go with brown mats if the color is a close match to your interior brown.
Brown will look good and if ya want to play it safe, can't go wrong with black either.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Do you guys think I should get black or dark brown floormats? I'm getting Lloyds again since after SW17LS told me about these I can't go back.....
https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/luxe-floor-mats?q=design
These are way to nice to put in any car I'd drive.
So plush I'd feel guilty if I didn't take my shoes off first. lol

I just went with oem Lexus mats- BLACK- cuz I know I will trash them with my caveman antics. haha

Too Plush?

(source: see link above)
Old 12-19-22, 03:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

My vote is Weathertec all weather mats. The style that can contain spills. I just pull mine out and hose them down. Indian takeout proof!
Old 12-19-22, 03:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My vote is Weathertec all weather mats. The style that can contain spills. I just pull mine out and hose them down. Indian takeout proof!
I have those in my Jeep but I don't like how they feel/sound in the cars. Don't get me wrong they are super good at their job but after trying out high end mats like that all my flagships have them lol!

On/off topic but the rarity of this car is now hitting home. I hope I didn't screw up buying this.....I didn't really comprehend just how few of these exist in practical terms. There are almost 2x as many LFAs vs these, I'm very scared now of parts and am actively looking for a 2nd engine out of fear! This is the first car I've actually been scared of like this, I'm panicking and ordering parts I normally never would stock like 4 sets of intake seals and TB seals. Anything that isn't shared with the 3.6 Porsche/Audi VR engine is making me really anxious.

My LSs have never had this looming threat feeling, I thrash those with no concerns but this thing is scary.

Last edited by Striker223; 12-19-22 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 03:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have those in my Jeep but I don't like how they feel/sound in the cars. Don't get me wrong they are super good at their job but after trying out high end mats like that all my flagships have them lol!

On/off topic but the rarity of this car is now hitting home. I hope I didn't screw up buying this.....I didn't really comprehend just how few of these exist in practical terms. There are almost 2x as many LFAs vs these, I'm very scared now of parts and am actively looking for a 2nd engine out of fear!
I'm sure it shares a lot of parts with the A8. There may be some exceptions
​​​​​​Having a rare car is cool. My Polestar was rare when I first got it and got a lot of attention. Now there are enough on the road where nobody cares anymore
Old 12-19-22, 04:01 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

I can understand preparing for the worst and hoping for the best but being you're an ace mechanic why worry about sourcing an engine?
Are you afraid if driving hard and killing it beyone repair?
Old 12-19-22, 04:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
I can understand preparing for the worst and hoping for the best but being you're an ace mechanic why worry about sourcing an engine?
Now that's what I call "planning"😃. For me once the engine dies or is dying, it's time to move on. Unless it's a collectible I'm keeping. I think he's overthinking it
Old 12-19-22, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Do you guys think I should get black or dark brown floormats? I'm getting Lloyds again since after SW17LS told me about these I can't go back.....

https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/luxe-floor-mats?q=design

Black is the safe bet but perhaps I should contrast? I'm not sure since the interior is all black other than the actual seats, what do you all think? Just add a dark brown piping to black mats?
I would stick with black...

The newer systems are not that much different, in those situations they are not "smart" enough unless it's a Tesla with FSD. My expectation for these systems is performance on par or better than me, anything less and the experience suffers and it takes me so little to drive effort wise it doesn't save me much fatigue.
I complely disagree. The adaptive cruise and lane centering is so much better in my S560 vs my LS460 or my Pacifica its not even funny. I can say for sure that it considerably reduces my fatigue on a long trip.
Old 12-19-22, 05:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I complely disagree. The adaptive cruise and lane centering is so much better in my S560 vs my LS460 or my Pacifica its not even funny. I can say for sure that it considerably reduces my fatigue on a long trip.
Adaptive cruise is amazing. If a car cuts in front of you, the new systems "see" the car as it's cutting in and automatically slow down. In our Ioniq it works beautifully. I wish I had bought the pilot package that includes it in my Polestar. I may still add it on if I end up buying my lease
Old 12-19-22, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Adaptive cruise is amazing. If a car cuts in front of you, the new systems "see" the car as it's cutting in and automatically slow down. In our Ioniq it works beautifully. I wish I had bought the pilot package that includes it in my Polestar. I may still add it on if I end up buying my lease
What I love about the Distronic is it is also measuring the cars in the lanes to either side. Today I noticed that I put my blinker on to the right to merge into that lane where there was a car driving more slowly than I was, it slowed me down in anticipation of moving into that lane. The older systems would have just all of a sudden said "WOAH theres a car here" after I changed lanes and would have slammed on the brakes.

If I am in a lane behind a car and put my left signal on to pass them on the left, it sees the left lane is open and accelerates into the lane change maneuver vs waiting for the maneuver to be complete before accelerating. All much smoother.

And remember Distronic in my car is last generation.
Old 12-19-22, 05:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yeah it just scares me not being able to replace it, it can't be bored and the heads can only be decked once. I'm not concerned about it breaking or I would not have redlined as many times as I already have but the thought is there. I've never had that fear before with any of my other engines.

The issue is even if I wanted to source an engine I can't, there simply aren't any. I would have to wait for another car to be crashed or end of life due to whatever reason and then pick it up ASAP.
Old 12-19-22, 05:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Now that's what I call "planning"😃. For me once the engine dies or is dying, it's time to move on. Unless it's a collectible I'm keeping. I think he's overthinking it
Problem here is that it is both. I plan to keep and it's exceedingly special.
Old 12-19-22, 05:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

This system is leagues better than in a 2022 Lexus, that's not my issue with it though tbh. It's simply not as good as me and doesn't deliver the driving experience I want, if I have someone else entirely drive the car I can tell them "do not exceed 2000 rpm, roll into brakes and throttle, do a gradual transition for lane changes, and remain 10% over speed limits" and they can do so. This system only has a few profiles/settings and it's just not how I like to be driven when I'm not redlining the hell out of it and exploring grip levels.

Speaking of, I forgot to fully close my washer fluid bottle....I pulled a turn so tight at 46 mph, literally following the pavement curve that I lost 1/8 of the fluid I just filled.
Old 12-19-22, 05:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

What I love about the Distronic is it is also measuring the cars in the lanes to either side. Today I noticed that I put my blinker on to the right to merge into that lane where there was a car driving more slowly than I was, it slowed me down in anticipation of moving into that lane. The older systems would have just all of a sudden said "WOAH theres a car here" after I changed lanes and would have slammed on the brakes.

If I am in a lane behind a car and put my left signal on to pass them on the left, it sees the left lane is open and accelerates into the lane change maneuver vs waiting for the maneuver to be complete before accelerating. All much smoother.

And remember Distronic in my car is last generation.
That's better than mine, mine doesn't properly monitor the sides like that and sometimes over accelerates. Our cars are the same gen but yours has the extra front sensors mine didn't get till later since I'm a pre-refresh. It's to be expected honestly....it is a Mercedes after all and Audi is more driver focused of the 3 brands, and I'm totally fine with it since these systems just aren't my thing.
Old 12-19-22, 05:59 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Not sure how you're going to end up with a damaged/totaled engine assuming that you monitor fluids and don't knowingly run it with misfires / old filters / whatever. Engines like being worked :P

Also, are you sure that those can't be recoated after boring (if needed at all)? Anyways, IMO you're worrying about something that shouldn't really happen in the first place. If it does, ah well - you've done what you can.
Old 12-19-22, 06:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Not sure how you're going to end up with a damaged/totaled engine assuming that you monitor fluids and don't knowingly run it with misfires / old filters / whatever. Engines like being worked :P

Also, are you sure that those can't be recoated after boring (if needed at all)? Anyways, IMO you're worrying about something that shouldn't really happen in the first place. If it does, ah well - you've done what you can.
I mean, you never know. It could just break? I mean yeah normally I have your attitude about this sort of thing, the engine is hand built after all and run in for 3 hours before hitting the car and it's already high enough miles a part flaw would have make itself known etc...

Just the fact I can't fix it in a particular case is not a feeling I like having. I'm sure I'll get over it since it's so damn good to drive lol!

Quick Reply: A8l w12 ceja 6.3