Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Leave your car running while refueling?
Yes
6.78%
No
93.22%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you leave your car running when refueling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-22, 11:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wait, your station's sign doesn't say "Pretty Please Shut Off Engine if You Feel Like it Today. Or Don't. It's Totally up to You. Do Whatever You Want Because Rules Don't Apply to You"????
They do down here in Florida.
But most gas stations also have a single pump at the edge of the property and all the sign says is," You're special, no rules for you" so that's the one I use.

Spoiler

Old 12-20-22, 12:09 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wait, your station's sign doesn't say "Pretty Please Shut Off Engine if You Feel Like it Today. Or Don't. It's Totally up to You. Do Whatever You Want Because Rules Don't Apply to You"????
Negative. In San Diego, I have better chance of seeing “Shut off your engine” and “have a brunch with us, we have a properly sourced avocado toast” 😄
Old 12-20-22, 12:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
There is a difference. In traffic, I’m in my car, windows closed, nano cabin filter with charcoal activation.

The exhaust smell depends on the efficiency of the catalytic converter and fuel/air ratio. Which when idling, is very rich.

There fumes can be visible. But I won’t go into the scenarios.

Now back to my question, A or B?
Neither. The answer is neither A nor B.

The answer is C; they don’t care either way. Hah, however lots of people I know like the smell of gas. Which you’re going to get regardless if your engine is running or not.
Old 12-20-22, 12:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It CAN blow up, but its extremely extremely unlikely I agree. My main concern is with theft of the car not with the car exploding or catching fire when its filling up. People steal cars like that all the time.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-20-22, 01:40 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

I have a lot respect for people like you who stand by their principles.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Neither. The answer is neither A nor B.

The answer is C; they don’t care either way. Hah, however lots of people I know like the smell of gas. Which you’re going to get regardless if your engine is running or not.
Old 12-20-22, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

It's just not unsafe (where I get gas at least)
This safety only exists in your mind. You are in fact making it easier for your vehicle to be stolen from you, thats just a fact. But, you're not going to listen to any of us anyway lol
Old 12-20-22, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I have a lot respect for people like you who stand by their principles.
I do when those principles make sense. There's standing by your principles, and then there's just being obstinant for no reason to your own detriment.
Old 12-20-22, 02:47 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I do when those principles make sense. There's standing by your principles, and then there's just being obstinant for no reason to your own detriment.
How am I in more danger when I'm sitting in my car as it refuels?? I have firearms. I'm not stupid, I lived in LA and know the mean streets.

You do plenty of things that don't make sense to me, but I don't tell you you're wrong or doing something detrimental.
Old 12-20-22, 02:52 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

I respect your opinion on this too. If OP is out of line, the forum adults would have taken this down already.

You are against it, so vote No.

Old 12-20-22, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How am I in more danger when I'm sitting in my car as it refuels?? I have firearms. I'm not stupid, I lived in LA and know the mean streets.

You do plenty of things that don't make sense to me, but I don't tell you you're wrong or doing something detrimental.
Its not when you're sitting in it, its when you are occupied at the pump and not paying attention, its the perfect opportunity for somebody to jump in your car and drive away, it happens all the time. What frustrates me is that you refuse to accept that is a reality in the face of all the evidence presented that it is.

If I'm doing something that increases my risk I would appreciate people telling me that, like the people that showed me on MBWorld that topping my car off was detrimental, and I changed my behavior because of it. The closed-mindedness just irritates me. Not as if that should matter to you, I'm just explaining why my reaction is what it is.

Getting in and out of your car when refueling does create risk though because it increases the likelihood of a static discharge.

Originally Posted by FastTurtle
I respect your opinion on this too. If OP is out of line, the forum adults would have taken this down already.
Not saying he is out of line, but we're discussing each other's viewpoints in a mature way. If you don't want to do that just vote and move on.
Old 12-20-22, 02:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This safety only exists in your mind. You are in fact making it easier for your vehicle to be stolen from you, thats just a fact. But, you're not going to listen to any of us anyway lol
I looked at the Crime Grade information you posted earlier in this thread. When I look at the grade for my small suburb it's all dark green in the A to A+ range, a feel good.

However, look to the east and west of me and there are a lot of C and F areas that are a short (stolen?) vehicle drive into my town. So yeah, I shut the cars off when gassing up.
Old 12-20-22, 02:55 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

For those who served and deployed. Let’s be honest we “Hot Fuel” all the time.
Old 12-20-22, 02:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

suppose there are two LX 570s at the gas station. The one you’re driving, and you fuel it while it’s running, you on the other side of the vehicle at the pump because your LX has a passenger side tank door. . Across the gas station is another LX 570 that LX 570 is not running and the persons fuelling up on the other side of the truck just like you. Along comes some street thug in a white Mercedes S class this… street thug goes by the initials SW, out come some of SW’s minions named Smokey and Pumpkin… which LX570 is easier to steal?
Old 12-20-22, 02:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
suppose there are two LX 570s at the gas station. The one you’re driving, and you fuel it while it’s running, you on the other side of the vehicle at the pump because your LX has a passenger side tank door. . Across the gas station is another LX 570 that LX 570 is not running and the persons fuelling up on the other side of the truck just like you. Along comes some street thug in a white Mercedes S class this street thug goes by the initials SW, out come some of SW’s minions named Smokey and Pumpkin… which LX570 is easier to steal?
LOL, gotta watch that guy!
Old 12-20-22, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I looked at the Crime Grade information you posted earlier in this thread. When I look at the grade for my small suburb it's all dark green in the A to A+ range, a feel good.

However, look to the east and west of me and there are a lot of C and F areas that are a short (stolen?) vehicle drive into my town. So yeah, I shut the cars off when gassing up.
Yep, and crime happens in green areas too!

Quick Reply: Do you leave your car running when refueling?