Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Leave your car running while refueling?
Yes
6.78%
No
93.22%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Do you leave your car running when refueling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 12:22 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So if it is dangerous filling up your car while it’s running.

Why isn’t there a mandate forcing manufacturers to design in a shut off of the engine if the fuel door is open?
Exactly. Would be an easy thing to do.
Old 12-19-22, 12:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
So tell me just how many dozens of gallons of gas I burn in 5 minutes while idling when filling up?
If it was just 1 car not much. How about if it's A LOT of vehicles though?

Last edited by LexBob2; 12-19-22 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 12:40 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 730 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If it was just 1 car not much. How if it's A LOT of vehicles though?
This is the right answer. It's like most things. The impact of the actions of one person may be small, but the impact of those same actions over a much larger population can be significant.

So it's about more the wasted gas and unnecessary emissions from the actions of just one individual. If everyone did what the OP did, we could collectively consume more gas than necessary and create more emissions than necessary.

Old 12-19-22, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
This is the right answer. It's like most things. The impact of the actions of one person may be small, but the impact of those same actions over a much larger population can be significant.

So it's about more the wasted gas and unnecessary emissions from the actions of just one individual. If everyone did what the OP did, we could collectively consume more gas than necessary and create more emissions than necessary.
Just make sure you never gun or floor your car, take unnecessary trips, make sure you always carpool. You can't waste any fuel either if you're gonna hold me to that standard.
Old 12-19-22, 01:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Just make sure you never gun or floor your car, take unnecessary trips, make sure you always carpool. You can't waste any fuel either if you're gonna hold me to that standard.
in other words, the collapse of the economy. People want to get around people wanna do stuff minimal downtime.

but I don’t think most people want to fuel their car while it’s running

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-22 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 02:57 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting poll 😂 what made you start this poll?
Old 12-19-22, 03:03 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

No.

Besides it being illegal, I'd much rather be cautions especially with strapped in the back seat.
Old 12-19-22, 03:24 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
No.

Besides it being illegal, I'd much rather be cautions especially with strapped in the back seat.
Huh?????????
Old 12-19-22, 03:27 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Huh?????????
He didn't say "what" is strapped in.

I'm thinking C-4 cuz it can be tempermental, at least on movies I seen.
Could be unreplaceable & rare collectibles too, don't want anything to happen to those either.

I just made all that up but thought it sounded good. haha

Last edited by Margate330; 12-19-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Huh?????????
There's no "Huh" about it. RX469 is spot-on.

Back in the 1970s, there were fatalities in vehicle-fires when people trapped in the back seat of coupes (and sometimes sedans/wagons) couldn't get out quickly, either because of cumbersome belt-systems, poorly-designed setback-releases, tight-clearance, or other design problems, One notorious design-problem was seatback-releases that were small, trigger-like, and down hear the floor, where you couldn't actually see the latch, and had to grope for them by feel. Some vehicles had the release at chest-height, on the back of the front seat, right in front of you, with a visible button....but that cost more money, and some automakers cheaped out.

Old 12-19-22, 03:50 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RX469
Besides it being illegal, I'd much rather be cautious especially with kids strapped in the back seat.
Old 12-19-22, 03:55 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Back in the 1970s, there were fatalities in vehicle-fires when people trapped in the back seat of coupes (and sometimes sedans/wagons) couldn't get out quickly, either because of cumbersome belt-systems, poorly-designed setback-releases, tight-clearance, or other design problems, One notorious design-problem was seatback-releases that were small, trigger-like, and down hear the floor, where you couldn't actually see the latch, and had to grope for them by feel. Some vehicles had the release at chest-height, on the back of the front seat, right in front of you, with a visible button....but that cost more money, and some automakers cheaped out.
Spot on? Why not let the author explain his nonsensical sentence? Maybe he (and) you should reread your replies before posting.
Old 12-19-22, 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

So tell me just how many dozens of gallons of gas I burn in 5 minutes while idling when filling up?
I just don't understand breaking the law, putting yourself at risk for crime and injury and wasting money just out of a desire to be stubborn and refuse to see that the way you've always done it just isn't the best way. When gunning the car and taking unnecessary trips there at least is a benefit to you, you enjoy gunning the car and you enjoy or want to take more trips. I just for the life of me can't see any benefit letting your car idle when refueling has other than "You're not going to tell me what to do". Do you enjoy having your car run while its filling up? I don't get it. If you want to watch the gas gauge fill up, it will do that in accessory mode with no ability to be carjacked, no risk of a fire, and no waste of fuel.

Its like me with the topping off the tank. I have done that for 25 years, and then I saw that it actually was potentially harming the car for no benefit and I stopped. None of those people in the videos I posted thought anybody would ever come up to their car and steal it while they were pumping gas either...
Old 12-19-22, 04:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

MM. your are a knowledgeable/expert on automotive.

What I want to know is how is it remotely safe if a crossover with 3 rows is loaded up…flips over…on its side…how the heck does someone get out of the 3rd row in (let’s say) a Lexus 450L. To me…that is unsafe. Have you ever seen how tiny that 3rd row is?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-22 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't understand breaking the law, putting yourself at risk for crime and injury and wasting money just out of a desire to be stubborn and refuse to see that the way you've always done it just isn't the best way. When gunning the car and taking unnecessary trips there at least is a benefit to you, you enjoy gunning the car and you enjoy or want to take more trips. I just for the life of me can't see any benefit letting your car idle when refueling has other than "You're not going to tell me what to do". Do you enjoy having your car run while its filling up? I don't get it. If you want to watch the gas gauge fill up, it will do that in accessory mode with no ability to be carjacked, no risk of a fire, and no waste of fuel.
This isn't a big deal, yes technically there are risks but the actual odds are nil. If I ever die from it I'll instruct my heirs to report it here. It's cold here, I filled up today and got back in my truck as it was idling. Same music was there, seat heaters and heated wheel stayed on. Those are benefits to me. Been doing it my whole life with no problems, I haven't been jacked or ever felt unsafe in familiar locations. If it ever happens I'll report it. If I ever catch a gas station on fire I'll report it.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its like me with the topping off the tank. I have done that for 25 years, and then I saw that it actually was potentially harming the car for no benefit and I stopped. None of those people in the videos I posted thought anybody would ever come up to their car and steal it while they were pumping gas either...
That's not going to hurt a car but it's way different than letting a car idle. It's "not good" for a car to do that. But then people say cars will eat fuel pumps if driven on empty, I've done that with my cars lotttttts over the years. No problems.

If I'm held to a standard to preserve fuel why shouldn't the person who has a problem with idling while filling up be? They like it when they gun their cars which wastes fuel; I like staying warm and leaving my car running while it fills up.

Quick Reply: Do you leave your car running when refueling?