Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Brand new Electrify America stations don't work in the cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 07:36 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts
Default Brand new Electrify America stations don't work in the cold

Another long video from Out of Spec, but TL;DR - new EA hardware faults out in the cold (-6F). Older EA cabinets worked, EVGo cabinets worked, new ChargePoint had a fault, old ChargePoint worked. The older EA stuff had issues in the heat, but cold was no problem

Edit: Tesla superchargers worked without a problem when he tested with his S earlier in the day (also -6F)
Old 12-23-22, 03:41 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Electric cars won't be viable for most people until there's a massive investment in charging stations other than Tesla's. And I don't see that happening in the US anytime soon. There's just not any appetite in either the public or private sector for a big long-term infrastructure investment.
Old 12-23-22, 03:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

We are about to hit below 10 degrees in NYC for next few days.
Not sure how those EVs will be working
Old 12-23-22, 04:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

People I know with geothermal are having issues and heat pump users are screwed. They have been using gas to help systems catch up
Old 12-25-22, 06:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Big reason why I would still lean heavily towards a Tesla...
Old 12-25-22, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
People I know with geothermal are having issues and heat pump users are screwed. They have been using gas to help systems catch up
Heat pumps operate like a normal electric furnace (with heating-coils) when outside-temperatures get low enough that the heat-exchange function is too inefficient to warm the house. That is one reason why electric bills go up in the winter....the furnace-operation part uses a lot more energy.

I have a heat pump, keep it set at 68 degrees or so in the winter, and have reasonable electric bills ($90 or less), even in the dead of winter. They are as low as $20 during months of mild weather.

As I understand it, BEV vehicles are also equipped with heat-pumps.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-25-22 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-27-22, 02:26 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Electric charging stations don't work in the cold? I'm shocked (but evidently not when below -6)!

Electricity, particularly in relation to batteries and charging, is fickle. Not the type of issues you want to deal with in dangerously cold weather. Your life could depend on it!
Old 12-27-22, 02:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Electric charging stations don't work in the cold? I'm shocked (but evidently not when below -6)!

Electricity, particularly in relation to batteries and charging, is fickle. Not the type of issues you want to deal with in dangerously cold weather. Your life could depend on it!
not really. particular type of charging station from one brand does not work.

Teslas work just fine, the same channel tested Teslas SC at something crazy like -25c or less and they worked just fine.

Anyway, using 3rd party EV charging often has broken charging anyway, not great right now anywhere in the world.
Old 12-27-22, 03:10 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
My comment was in part tongue-in-cheek, but it was in response to the thread title: "Brand new Electrify America stations don't work in the cold." I wasn't condemning all charging stations. That said, electricity and extreme cold don't mix well. Extreme cold will affect all EV's to some degree. Personally, I would prefer to be stranded in a blizzard in an ICE vs an EV.

Last edited by Wilson2000; 12-27-22 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-22, 03:36 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Teslas work just fine, the same channel tested Teslas SC at something crazy like -25c or less and they worked just fine.

Anyway, using 3rd party EV charging often has broken charging anyway, not great right now anywhere in the world.
I work in the EV charging but not for EA. I'm with one of the big oil companies. We have seen reports that the new Tesla stations work in cold, but not in extreme heat, meaning 100 F plus. It's not all of them that don't work, but it is an issue.
Old 12-27-22, 03:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

, I would preferred to be stranded in a blizzard in an ICE vs an EV.
Why is that?
Old 12-27-22, 03:45 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

My comment was in part tongue-in-cheek, but it was in response to the thread title: "Brand new Electrify America stations don't work in the cold." I wasn't condemning all charging stations. That said, electricity and extreme cold don't mix well. Extreme cold will affect all EV's to some degree. Personally, I would prefer to be stranded in a blizzard in an ICE vs an EV.
This makes no sense. ICE car has a pile of electronics and won't run without them. Gas pumps run on electricity. Petrol refineries use massive amounts of electricity. Traffic signals, guess what they run on. ICE cars routinely fail to start in cold weather because the 12 volt battery doesn't have enough energy. Shockingly, it provides electricity to start the engine.

You jumped on board the EV bad train without thinking anything through.
Old 12-27-22, 06:45 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Extreme temps always pushes the engineered design envelope.
I'm confident they will get it figured out, hopefully!
Old 12-28-22, 07:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
I work in the EV charging but not for EA. I'm with one of the big oil companies. We have seen reports that the new Tesla stations work in cold, but not in extreme heat, meaning 100 F plus. It's not all of them that don't work, but it is an issue.
my part of europe has extreme heat during summer, i cant tell you i ever had issues. It will lower the maximum charge power if the cables start overheating, but i did not notice anything crazy on v1 and v2 chargers around here. Or even Ionity.

Old 12-28-22, 07:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i know, i am just making it clear for everyone.

As to the extreme cold, you will get less range but with new cars and heat pumps, it is not that crazy. It is just not as perfect as those silly range test done over straight roads, perfect weather show.

When it comes to blizzard, actually for warming the cabin or cooling it during extreme heat, your full tank of gas will last as long as full battery (something like full day or so), problem is that with gas car, you might get co2 back into the car like that poor lady the other day that was all over the news.

but sure, you dont want to go to camping trips with EV, that is just waiting for trouble to happen.

Quick Reply: Brand new Electrify America stations don't work in the cold