Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

It's Not Too Late to Get Your Giant Car Bow

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 10:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's Not Too Late to Get Your Giant Car Bow

Need a bow for your car?

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ca...-20221222.html

Giant car bows are less expensive than you’d think — and they’re made just outside Philly

People will travel up to three hours to pick up giant car bows from Warminster’s Car Bow Store.
A 30-inch velvet car bow atop a Chevrolet Stingray at a car dealership.Car Bow Store
by Katie Krzaczek
Published
Dec 22, 2022‘Tis the season for cars decked with big red bows — at least on TV commercials, if not in our own driveways. And one of the car industry’s biggest manufacturers of the large embellishments is locatedjust outside of Philadelphia.

Car Bow Store, a subsidiary of Warminster, Pa.’s MBR Marketing, launched about 13 years ago. MBR has provided a number of products and supplies — everything from sales forms and key tags to disposable floor mats and more — to car dealers since its founding in 1982, but the company began to notice inconsistencies in the large, decorative bows it sourced from overseas.

“They weren’t well-made at all in our opinion,” MBR and Car Bow Store President Michael Rudolph told The Inquirer. But MBR may have underestimated the initial commitment when they decidedto create their own. “‘We’ll make a nicer product and that’ll be it,’ you know?” Rudolph said.

Then reality set in. The company had to buy “thousands and thousands of pounds” of plastic to make the bows and “it instantly became more of a commitment that we had to make this on a larger scale if we were going to do it.”

MBR began contacting other industry suppliers to increase sales and make the effort worth it. Many were inclined to buy from an alternative, domestic manufacturer for a product dealers only bought a small number of each year.
Car Bow Store's warehouse and production manager Dan Siciliano amid a sea of bows at the company's Warminster location.Now, during a good year, Car Bow Store will sell about 25,000 big bows, for both wholesale and direct-to-consumer orders. Individual bows that measure 30 inches start at a little less than $40 for one, and customers can choose a magnetic or suction base, the latter of which Car Bow Store said it pioneered to help protect the car’s paint.

The bows originate from a Warminster warehouse that also houses MBR and its other businesses. The subsidiary Flagdom provides a number of flag and other fabric products, including hood covers and standing flags for promotional purposes. MBR sells window paint markers for dealers to write promotions or prices on windshields, dealer service department supplies, and even inflatable air dancers — “all sorts of things,” Rudolph said.

“We basically sell to car dealerships all over North America and in some cases in Europe,” he said. And after 40 years in the industry, business is going well enough that MBR is doubling the size of the Warminster location it’s called home for a little more than a decade.

Lexus is often credited with popularizing the big bow thanks to its holiday commercials depicting someone gifting a car to a spouse or loved one. Several years after the company’s “December to Remember” commercials debuted, the Wall Street Journal reported a shortage of the large decorative bows.

Now, the bows aren’t in short supply — but the cars might be.

“The last two years, we have not had cars,” Rudolph said. “We’ve gone by dealerships, and they’ve had like four or five cars on the lot.”

Following prolonged, pandemic-driven delays, car inventories rebounded in September to the highest level since May 2021, CNBC reported, citing BofA Securities research. But as inventory has recovered, vehicle prices have spiked, with a record average new car price of $48,681 in November, according to Kelley Blue Book.

Rudolph said bow sales this year have been down compared to the past, but that “this year has not been a bad year in general.”

‘Photo op’ moments

While the holidays are the biggest season for the bow business, the Warminster company doesn’t rely only on the holidays for sales.

“There’s not a day that goes by that we don’t sell half a dozen,” Rudolph said. Beyond the holidays, graduations and sweet 16 celebrations are a popular reason to buy the adornment.

“It’s uncanny how many people give cars as gifts,” Rudolph said, adding that people will make “two-, three-hour trips to pick up a bow” from his company. Car Bow Store also offers ground shipping for all orders.

The bows have found a second use, too: new homes.

A woman recently “called from Texas, she desperately wants to put a bow on her door,” Rudolph said. Car Bow Store sells two bows specifically for use on doors, often for what he referred to as a “photo op” moment for new home-buyers.

Rudolph himself keeps one on the door of his family’s vacation home year-round.

“Some people will get different colors,” he said. “In the spring we’re going to put a blue bow up.”

Published
Dec. 22, 2022
Old 12-25-22, 11:01 AM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Are they made with eco friendly plastics?

Yet, feels like more unnecessary packaging.
Old 12-25-22, 11:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Just feels a little too pretentious to me.
Old 12-25-22, 11:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

While the bows aren't my cup of tea (or my wife's) it's an interesting story about where they come from and the company who makes them.
Old 12-25-22, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Need a bow for your car?
To me, car-bows are just a gimmick. But, to be fair, I can understand why some people like them and think they are a nice touch. I won't make a value-judgement on their part.
Old 12-26-22, 07:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To me, car-bows are just a gimmick. But, to be fair, I can understand why some people like them and think they are a nice touch. I won't make a value-judgement on their part.
Sure, but lots of things that are gimmicks sell really well. Like just about anything for sale on an infomercial.
Old 12-26-22, 08:42 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

It's a novelty but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Looks goood to me.
Old 12-26-22, 10:47 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

A bow sure beats covering a surprise vehicle with gift wrap (as I did for Christmas 2003 when gifting a new 2004 Honda Pilot to my wife). Can no longer recall how many rolls were used!

Old 12-26-22, 11:36 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Ha! Crazy stuff. I never knew these came from Warminster lol.

Old 12-26-22, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
It's a novelty but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Looks goood to me.

Yes, that's why I said I can understand why some people like them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-22 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-26-22, 02:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's why I said I can understand why some people like them.
This is so wierd.
Can't remember last time I saw a car bow until this thread.

While driving today thru the country back to son in laws house, I look over and see a big red bow like these posted above attached to the grill.

It was a used car but obviously a gift to someone!