Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My new to me SL500 Silver Arrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22 | 06:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
I’m not worried about keys but yes 2 would be nice.
Okee Dokey! lol
Tried to warn ya. ((talking to the wall))
Spoiler

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow. Red car syndrome really is real

I really like those rims.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-01-23 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-31-22 | 08:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The newest one with top has more miles (71k) but is sporting the original floor mats. Pretty sure it's a one owner. I see equal cleanness when I look at both interiors of both cars.

The guy listed it then went on vacation, my broker says people do that all the time lol. He'll be back Monday and we'll see what's what. It has some imperfections that I would fix here once I owned it and that gives me leverage to get the price knocked down.
Sure but less miles and 10k cheaper....that price difference alone means you will have headroom to fix any issues.
Old 01-01-23 | 09:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure but less miles and 10k cheaper....that price difference alone means you will have headroom to fix any issues.
Not 10 grand cheaper. About 6, and that's before we start talking the guy down.

I'd rather have a one owner that still has the hardtop, original paperwork, and floor mats that has 10k more miles.

But stay tuned. It's coming from Chicago so if it's rusty it's a no-go.
Old 01-02-23 | 06:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

But stay tuned. It's coming from Chicago so if it's rusty it's a no-go.
Ummm, my money is on R-U-S-T-Y.
May be considered OK for peeps in rust belt but you may not like it for that kinda money.

I'd want lots of pics to make sure no hidden rust that can structurally compromise the vehicle and resale value if you ever decide to sell it for something else.
Old 01-02-23 | 07:41 AM
TriC
Racer

Being a one owner driven an average of 3500 miles per year, my money is on the chassis being as clean as a whistle whether from Chicago, Boston, or Minneapolis. The car likely was snug in a garage every November through March.
Old 01-02-23 | 03:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TriC
Being a one owner driven an average of 3500 miles per year, my money is on the chassis being as clean as a whistle whether from Chicago, Boston, or Minneapolis. The car likely was snug in a garage every November through March.
Good one TriC!

Didn't think of that, high dollar car like this could be a garage queen for a seasonal snow bird who only drives it in warmer months.
Basically what you just said, but agreeing with ya and a little less skeptical now.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-02-23 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-02-23 | 04:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Ummm, my money is on R-U-S-T-Y.
May be considered OK for peeps in rust belt but you may not like it for that kinda money.

I'd want lots of pics to make sure no hidden rust that can structurally compromise the vehicle and resale value if you ever decide to sell it for something else.
Originally Posted by TriC
The guy was on vacation but he's back and I did get a question or two answered. I'm letting my broker handle the rest because he'll be able to get a better deal so I'm not really talking to the guy so he won't know how badly I want it.. It's a 2 owner car, current owner bought it from original owner 2 years ago. He simply doesn't use it and doesn't want it when I asked why he's selling.

And yes I'm not worried about it being from Chicago, it's only been there for 2 years. The original owners for the 18 years were in Oklahoma so we're good.

Just for the record though you can keep a northern car just as nice as a southern (I assume), just run them through the car wash multiple times per week and make sure it has an undercarriage wash. Wouldn't that be enough? Cars are rusted like crazy up where my inlaws are in upstate NY.
Old 01-02-23 | 04:35 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The guy was on vacation but he's back and I did get a question or two answered. I'm letting my broker handle the rest because he'll be able to get a better deal so I'm not really talking to the guy so he won't know how badly I want it.. It's a 2 owner car, current owner bought it from original owner 2 years ago. He simply doesn't use it and doesn't want it when I asked why he's selling.

And yes I'm not worried about it being from Chicago, it's only been there for 2 years. The original owners for the 18 years were in Oklahoma so we're good.

Just for the record though you can keep a northern car just as nice as a southern (I assume), just run them through the car wash multiple times per week and make sure it has an undercarriage wash. Wouldn't that be enough? Cars are rusted like crazy up where my inlaws are in upstate NY.
Not really.....it's very very hard and you will need to make sure all the body drains are cleared out and all door/closures/trunk are wiped clean.
Old 01-02-23 | 04:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Not really.....it's very very hard and you will need to make sure all the body drains are cleared out and all door/closures/trunk are wiped clean.
Lol not my problem!!!
Old 01-02-23 | 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why spend thousands of dollars locating and repainting a top when I just wait for another car to come along? Working on the one in Chicago currently. The owner is on vacation. This one has the hardtop.

And the car’s hardtop will be used at least half the year in my possession. It looks the best with it on, and I’ll have it on during the winter months. It’s kind of a big deal it’s missing.

I’m not worried about keys but yes 2 would be nice. In the ad it says they have original paperwork.
The reason would be if the car without the hardtop is a better car. Isn't that car local enough to you can go look at it and drive it? I'd much rather buy a car that I can go see and drive vs rolling the dice on a car I can't see.

Having the top painted is maybe $1,000 and if you can source a good hardtop for 3-4K its just math. BUT, I know better than to argue with you when your mind is made up LOL

Noooooo lol. You can mitigate salt damage by flushing the undercarriage regularly but that is no comparison to a car that has truly never seen salt...then there is the wear on the car from going through the carwash all the time which is bad for the paint, seals, trim etc.
Old 01-02-23 | 06:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The reason would be if the car without the hardtop is a better car.
But why is it missing the top? That doesn't lend too much credence regarding the car's past. Remember I've been looking at these for years and I can't recall one I saw missing the hardtop. Yes, it is a drivable distance though to go check it out and I'm not ruling it out. I'd offer him 14-15, if he took that it would all be worth it. You do have a point, it wouldn't hurt to at least go see it and drive it. But why doesn't it have a hardtop??? Something janky happened in the car's past most likely. I'll likely still go down to Chatt and drive it. It's $16,900

Having the top painted is maybe $1,000 and if you can source a good hardtop for 3-4K its just math. BUT, I know better than to argue with you when your mind is made up LOL
That's not a bad idea, but I just want a car that comes with the original hard top. My broker suggested I do the exact same thing you said. Also this new Chicago one was a one owner until 2 years ago and a couple thousand miles. Seller says he just doesn't drive it enough and it goes unused. And lol, I know not to do it to you either.

Noooooo lol. You can mitigate salt damage by flushing the undercarriage regularly but that is no comparison to a car that has truly never seen salt...then there is the wear on the car from going through the carwash all the time which is bad for the paint, seals, trim etc.
Hate that for y'all, as enthusiasts. Do you really think car washes are bad for cars? I think it depends on the wash. The one I run through is gentle, gentle mitters, no bars to rub your rims into, tires go on a conveyor belt.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-02-23 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-02-23 | 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But why is it missing the top? That doesn't lend too much credence regarding the car's past. Remember I've been looking at these for years and I can't recall one I saw missing the hardtop. Yes, it is a drivable distance though to go check it out and I'm not ruling it out. I'd offer him 14-15, if he took that it would all be worth it. You do have a point, it wouldn't hurt to at least go see it and drive it. But why doesn't it have a hardtop??? Something janky happened in the car's past most likely.
The hardtop was just likely separated from the car at some point in its life, it was lost or left at a property, some prior owner could have died and people didnt realize what the issue is. My guess is they sell without hardtops all the time just for a lower value.

I would at least go look at it.

Hate that for y'all, as enthusiasts. Do you really think car washes are bad for cars? I think it depends on the wash. The one I run through is gentle, gentle mitters, no bars to rub your rims into, tires go on a conveyor belt.
Carwashes are absolutely bad for cars. I use them, but I understand and see the damage that they cause. Its not just the mitters, although they definatelty do mar paint, its also the chemicals that bleach unpainted black trim, strip wax and sealants and dry out seals. I also use an extremely good carwash, but I can show you on my cars where they have damage from the carwash. I have to get a light out to show you but I can show you.

For a special fun car like an SL, I wouldn't run it through a carwash. For a daily driven car, sure.
Old 01-02-23 | 07:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The hardtop was just likely separated from the car at some point in its life, it was lost or left at a property, some prior owner could have died and people didnt realize what the issue is. My guess is they sell without hardtops all the time just for a lower value.

I would at least go look at it.
I probably will. I see hardtops for $1500, add another grand for a paint job and I would come out ahead, at least even. But still. The Chicago one is basically a one owner, has original floor mats and hard top.

Carwashes are absolutely bad for cars. I use them, but I understand and see the damage that they cause. Its not just the mitters, although they definatelty do mar paint, its also the chemicals that bleach unpainted black trim, strip wax and sealants and dry out seals. I also use an extremely good carwash, but I can show you on my cars where they have damage from the carwash. I have to get a light out to show you but I can show you.
I have unlimited and use it a lot. I have looked at my trim and panels, etc. etc. etc. They seem to be just fine, and trust me I look. I have wondered that myself but most of the car pros I know say the wash that we all use is fine. The guy at the body shop who fixed my bumper on LX said that's a great wash that won't damage cars.

For a special fun car like an SL, I wouldn't run it through a carwash. For a daily driven car, sure.
Hand washed only for sure.
Old 01-02-23 | 07:57 PM
ronkelley
Racer

--

As to car washes keeping the undercarriage salt free--probably won't happen. A momentary low pressure spray of water will not clean out the crevasses and packed sand in the frame. Think about it. You drive in salt water for hours, let it set for days, then lightly rinse? I would not get a car that's been driven in the winter in snowbelt country. But that's me. To even consider, I would have it lifted and thoroughly checked underneath for sure. I've seen a lot of frames that have been patched up, and even wire tied frames.

As to putting on a hard top when it rains, or is cold, or something, then taking it off and storing it carefully--doesn't happen that way. It gets old in a hurry. It's also a pain to store in most garages. I used to have to hoist mine up overhead to keep it pristine. That's the beauty of an automatic retractable soft or hard top. If you are willing to leave it one way or the other, that can be satisfactory. Look at all the classic car folks that would never even take their car out if there's the slightest chance of bad weather. If you have a bad weather car, no problem.

--
Old 01-02-23 | 07:59 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

As to car washes keeping the undercarriage salt free--probably won't happen. A momentary low pressure spray of water will not clean out the crevasses of the frame. Think about it. You drive in salt water for hours, let it set for days, then lightly rinse? I would not get a car that's been driven in the winter in snowbelt country. But that's me. To even consider, I would have it lifted and thoroughly checked underneath for sure. I've seen a lot of frames that have been patched up, and even wire tied frames.

As to putting on a hard top when it rains, or is cold, or something, then taking it off and storing it carefully--doesn't happen that way. It gets old in a hurry. It's also a pain to store in most garages. I used to have to hoist mine up overhead to keep it pristine. That's the beauty of an automatic retractable soft or hard top. If you are willing to leave it one way or the other, that can be satisfactory. Look at all the classic car folks that would never even take their car out if there's the slightest chance of bad weather. If you have a bad weather car, no problem.

--
Amen, preach it brother!
My thoughts exactly...

Quick Reply: My new to me SL500 Silver Arrow