Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Least & Most Expensive Luxury Brands to Maintain [DTC]

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 07:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
At first this data depressed me since I really like the BMW X3.
BUT- when looking at how they depreciate and can be picked up cheaper than a used Tesla I get more happy.

Wish the article showed the actual numbers they used for the MSRP, mileage ran, and what actual repairs were done so we could see if money could be saved DIY or an Indy
-I'll use what we have to go on.

Of course I'm looking at this as cuting a check for a used one that already took a big depreciation hit vs buying it new and driving it for 10 years.

It's really not that bad plus I would save a huge chunk buying used.compared to Tesla used prices.

($46k new) * (34.5%)= $1,5870 over 10 years or $1,587 per year or $132.00 per month

I have a 2019 X3 and it's been a great CUV. Problem free during the 4+ years I've had it. Just routine service which was included for the initial 3 years and one recall. Fun to drive too.
Least & Most Expensive Luxury Brands to Maintain [DTC]-kmqn7e6.jpg
Old 01-13-23, 08:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have a 2019 X3 and it's been a great CUV. Problem free during the 4+ years I've had it. Just routine service which was included for the initial 3 years and one recall. Fun to drive too.
Darn good looking car.
Sounds thread worthy IMO hint, hint. just messin

Old 01-13-23, 08:53 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Its very important to note a couple of key things here.

1. Define Luxury.

To me, Teslas are not luxury cars. In fact, I would say that anything without a mechanical engine is NOT a luxury vehicle.
If you arn't convinced, almost all "luxury" watches are mechanical and not digital.

2. EVs are low maintenance all across the board.

It's not just Teslas that are low maintenance, hybrids and other full EV's are lower maintenance.

Last edited by xGS350x; 01-13-23 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-13-23, 08:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Honest BMW mechanics will tell you never, ever buy one out of warranty. Sure not every one is a money pit but on average they are. Shame because when they work amazing cars.

I still fail to see why comparing same price point cars and their maintenance is flawed. Are we going to start comparing maintenance costs of a Toyota Yaris and a Bentley? Running costs are proportional to vehicle cost at least on some level. Uses more fuel, more motor oil, more complex electronics larger tires etc. etc.

Same general vehicle type/price point is a legit comparison IMO.
Originally Posted by xGS350x

1. Defining Luxury.

To me, Teslas are not luxury cars. In fact, I would say that anything without a mechanical engine is NOT a luxury vehicle.

If you arn't convinced, almost all "luxury" watches are mechanical and not digital.
Do you also have an analog phone you carry around? Hate to break it to you but ICE cars are loaded with electronics and many have battery packs.
Old 01-13-23, 09:00 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Do you also have an analog phone you carry around? Hate to break it to you but ICE cars are loaded with electronics and many have battery packs.
So I guess my car is an EV then if it has a small actuator and a 12 volt battery. Lets just ignore the 500lb aluminum engine that powers the vehicle.
Old 01-13-23, 09:02 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Honest BMW mechanics will tell you never, ever buy one out of warranty. Sure not every one is a money pit but on average they are. Shame because when they work amazing cars.

I still fail to see why comparing same price point cars and their maintenance is flawed. Are we going to start comparing maintenance costs of a Toyota Yaris and a Bentley? Running costs are proportional to vehicle cost at least on some level. Uses more fuel, more motor oil, more complex electronics larger tires etc. etc.

Same general vehicle type/price point is a legit comparison IMO.

No we should be comparing outright running costs not percentage non-sense. Running costs are NOT proportional to vehicle cost. My $187k A8 has lower running costs than the V6 version since it doesn't have as many issues requiring repairs is a great example of this. However even with "low" running costs for the price range it's still damn expensive to run overall.
Old 01-13-23, 09:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
No we should be comparing outright running costs not percentage non-sense. Running costs are NOT proportional to vehicle cost. My $187k A8 has lower running costs than the V6 version since it doesn't have as many issues requiring repairs is a great example of this. However even with "low" running costs for the price range it's still damn expensive to run overall.
Why not make a thread with data that has proper comparisons.
Old 01-13-23, 09:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Why not make a thread with data that has proper comparisons.
What will cost you more over 150k miles/15 years? A CVT Nissan rouge or a RX350?

That's my point. Cost new does not equal cost to run or cost of ownership. This percent vs MSRP as a method of comparison is useless.
Old 01-13-23, 09:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
What will cost you more over 150k miles/15 years? A CVT Nissan rouge or a RX350?
You tell me.

That's my point. Cost new does not equal cost to run or cost of ownership. This percent vs MSRP as a method of comparison is useless.
You've made your point over and over. Unless you have other data sets then this is like your opinion.
Old 01-13-23, 09:42 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

1. Define Luxury.

2. EVs are low maintenance all across the board.

It's not just Teslas that are low maintenance, hybrids and other full EV's are lower maintenance.
I see you are a new member soooooooooooo Wilcome to Club Lexus!
Old 01-13-23, 10:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You tell me.

You've made your point over and over. Unless you have other data sets then this is like your opinion.
Just google the 10 year costs of ownership lol! The Rouge blows transmissions a LOT and will cost you more over the same timespan, this is reflected in many ways but most strongly in retained value. It's not opinion, it's a well known fact that certain cars simply cost less to own than others and as a result they tend to hold value much better. So on top of spending less on running costs/repairs you lose less over time in depreciation, X5 vs GX prices and running expenses are an easy one to go check.

A lot of the stuff that has a good percent based ownership costs will be horrible on actual raw costs. An F1 has great % costs since they are worth so much.....but you better have the 40k for tires and a fuel cell every few years to keep your history looking good. The entire premise of the study you linked is disingenuous and pointless for end users since you can technically win this by having an entry that appreciates faster than you spend money on it.
Old 01-13-23, 11:20 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Margate330
I see you are a new member soooooooooooo Wilcome to Club Lexus!
Hey thanks. Like your RX. They don't make them like that any more.
Old 01-14-23, 01:15 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Not sure how the GTR is cheap to maintain, it’s ridiculously expensive. The brakes are ridiculously expensive, the transmission fluid without labor is almost $1,000 and factory run flat tires are also ridiculously expensive. Then if you take it to the dealer for an oil change or alignment they gauge you and add the GTR tax. Just including that in the results makes me question the survey.
It's probably because they're including depreciation in the "maintenance". GT-R's hold onto their value very well not just because the R35 has been around even before the current 4Runner, but it has actually gotten more expensive over time with each subsequent model year.
Old 01-14-23, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,982 Posts

1. Define Luxury.

No offense but thats just silly. Go drive a Mercedes EQS or a Lucid Air or a new BMW i7 and tell me they aren't luxury cars, they absolutely are. Teslas are luxury cars too (at least the model S and X), they just have a more high tech aesthetic, think of it like "Apple for cars".
Old 01-14-23, 09:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's probably because they're including depreciation in the "maintenance". GT-R's hold onto their value very well not just because the R35 has been around even before the current 4Runner, but it has actually gotten more expensive over time with each subsequent model year.
Ah good point, didn’t factor that into the equation.

Quick Reply: Least & Most Expensive Luxury Brands to Maintain [DTC]