Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Least & Most Expensive Luxury Brands to Maintain [DTC]

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 02:46 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's probably because they're including depreciation in the "maintenance". GT-R's hold onto their value very well not just because the R35 has been around even before the current 4Runner, but it has actually gotten more expensive over time with each subsequent model year.
Hi Motorola, I'm not sure on that.

I would think an X3 at 10 years and 100K+ miles would cost way less than MSRP- 35%.
And that doesn't include maintenance costs.

Maybe I'm wrong, just a guess.

Last edited by Margate330; 01-14-23 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 07:34 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No offense but thats just silly. Go drive a Mercedes EQS or a Lucid Air or a new BMW i7 and tell me they aren't luxury cars, they absolutely are. Teslas are luxury cars too (at least the model S and X), they just have a more high tech aesthetic, think of it like "Apple for cars".
I agree with you that those are really nice cars and I do consider them luxury cars too. I saw a Lucid Air not too long ago and man that thing was nice.

Still though, the sophistication of the thousands of parts that comes together to generate power in an ICE engine cannot be matched to an EV's powertrain. Sophistication is often a factor of what is considered luxury. Consider luxury watches. They are mostly mechanical.

The manufacturers are trying their darnest to steer the meaning of luxury by marketing EVs. But they are steering you off a cliff.

So while EVs can be luxury cars, they are only partly luxury. The ICE and the EV both have their rightful places though.

Last edited by xGS350x; 01-14-23 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-14-23, 07:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,982 Posts

I just completely disagree. Even Rolls Royce is coming out with EV powertrains.
Old 01-14-23, 08:02 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

If I'm ever in the position to order a Rolls, I'm ordering it with the V12.
Old 01-14-23, 08:46 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

They are forced to like everyone else due to emissions.

All EVs will feel the same to drive and there will no longer be the distinguishing factor of actual self contained engines. EVs are just appliances you will have a subscription for and change out like phones
Old 01-14-23, 09:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
They are forced to like everyone else due to emissions.

All EVs will feel the same to drive and there will no longer be the distinguishing factor of actual self contained engines. EVs are just appliances you will have a subscription for and change out like phones
Rolls Royce is such a small volume carmaker they are not forced to by emissions.

And we’ve had that argument about them all driving the same. Having driven several EVs now you’re just wrong. Go drive a Model S, EQS and an i7 and tell me they drive the same lol

And I change my cars out like phones already, so do most people who drive luxury cars.
Old 01-14-23, 10:22 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

And I change my cars out like phones already, so do most people who drive luxury cars.
This might be one of the reasons why I stated why I don't think Mercedes found their footing in their products. When I think of Mercedes, there isn't a single car that comes to mind, as they change up their styling so often. It's like fast fashion for them. BMW too to a lesser degree.
Old 01-14-23, 11:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
I agree with you that those are really nice cars and I do consider them luxury cars too. I saw a Lucid Air not too long ago and man that thing was nice.

Still though, the sophistication of the thousands of parts that comes together to generate power in an ICE engine cannot be matched to an EV's powertrain. Sophistication is often a factor of what is considered luxury. Consider luxury watches. They are mostly mechanical.

The manufacturers are trying their darnest to steer the meaning of luxury by marketing EVs. But they are steering you off a cliff.

So while EVs can be luxury cars, they are only partly luxury. The ICE and the EV both have their rightful places though.
Just drive one. Their power train's are smoother than any luxury cars. Many may not have the same plush seats or interiors, but that is changing with Mercedes and BMW offering EV versions
Old 01-15-23, 12:35 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Just drive one. Their power train's are smoother than any luxury cars. Many may not have the same plush seats or interiors, but that is changing with Mercedes and BMW offering EV versions
I have quite an extensive experience with EV's. Yes they are very quiet and buttery smooth. It has it's place in the transportation world.

But I love the ICE and it's a luxury and a privilege to drive a V6 everyday. It simply cannot be replaced if we are talking personal vehicles and luxury.

Last edited by xGS350x; 01-15-23 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-15-23, 01:09 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Makes sense

The fact that they use the Metris as a luxury vehicle though is a cause for concern about the data...
That van probably has more features than any Tesla on this list
Old 01-15-23, 06:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This might be one of the reasons why I stated why I don't think Mercedes found their footing in their products. When I think of Mercedes, there isn't a single car that comes to mind, as they change up their styling so often. It's like fast fashion for them. BMW too to a lesser degree.
I think you’re alone in that feeling. Mercedes actually is really conservative when it comes to restyling. You don’t think of The S Class? Or the E Class? The SL? Cars that have been around for 60 years?

Mercedes is the brand Lexus was created to emulate. Basically every segment a Lexus model exists in was a segment created by Mercedes.

In any event, this is my first Mercedes. I replaced Lexus models like phones too, that’s why I went to Mercedes.

Originally Posted by Vladi
That van probably has more features than any Tesla on this list
Uh, no lol.
Old 01-15-23, 10:03 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I know someone with a 2016 most of the consumables are not expensive at all. Rotors are up there, pads are cheap. Biggest potential expense with the car is many suspension parts are OEM only. Fluids are fluids nothing special there.
https://www.amsoil.ca/lookup/auto-an...38dett-2-turbo

Far, far cheaper car to own vs. most exotics. Also understand the criteria, this study is % of new car price.
Still not a luxury car. Especially with the way the dual clutch behaves at low speeds. On that note, they really should've revised/improved the DCT... like come on, a certain German concern has made them (almost?) reliable
Old 01-15-23, 12:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,773 Posts

I have quite an extensive experience with EV's. Yes they are very quiet and buttery smooth. It has it's place in the transportation world.

But I love the ICE and it's a luxury and a privilege to drive a V6 everyday. It simply cannot be replaced if we are talking personal vehicles and luxury.
Got it. I totally respect that
Old 01-15-23, 02:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Still not a luxury car. Especially with the way the dual clutch behaves at low speeds. On that note, they really should've revised/improved the DCT... like come on, a certain German concern has made them (almost?) reliable
You would think they would just ask ZF really nicely if they could allow them to have a version of the PDK but the Japanese brands are really stubborn.
Old 01-15-23, 04:30 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Maybe it was focusing on purely reliability...things you don't have to fix often. I know nothing about GT-R's, but I always assumed in my mind they are not cheap to own
But changing oils, brakes and tires are part of maintanence. You cant drive a car without any of that stuff.

Quick Reply: Least & Most Expensive Luxury Brands to Maintain [DTC]