Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-23, 10:30 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317

Originally Posted by sorptd
Nice review. Like everything except the front grill. I would pick a telluride over this.
I like the Telluride grill a little better to.
But, this one is growing on me too...
Old 01-28-23, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Nice review. Like everything except the front grill. I would pick a telluride over this.
In person the refresh Palisade grill is really good looking. Its very flat and imposing.

Honestly? I would choose either of these equally, I like aspects of both. I really think for me it would come down to which is the easier to get and has the smallest ADM
Old 01-28-23, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
A friend of mine just picked up a 2023 Palisade. It met the goals they were looking for. I have not had a chance to see or drive it yet. I personally would rather have a V6 than a turbo 4 only for the simplicity. Turbo 4's can easily have more hp and torque but I'm not sure on long term reliability on high boosted models from Hyundai or some other brands. I at least trust Toyota reliability more and would feel safe with a Lexus / Toyota with a turbo 4.
These aren't 1980s turbos. Modern turbos have no "long term reliability" issues any more than any conventional engine.
Old 01-28-23, 11:20 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 962 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
These aren't 1980s turbos. Modern turbos have no "long term reliability" issues any more than any conventional engine.
Oh I've owned plenty of turbo cars and never had an issue. I have concerns about Hyundai reliability in this case with their more complex motors. I have had a few friends with Hyundai 4 cylinders who had to get a new motor so part of me is concerned when adding a turbo will Hyundai do better. I won't even get into the EcoBoost Ford's. This Hyundai has a V6 and at least with my personal experience they have faired better than the 4 cylinder motors. As for turbos my Supra's 26 year old turbos are doing fine so turbos by themselves don't scare me. I just trust Toyota over Hyundai.
Old 01-28-23, 11:26 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Oh I've owned plenty of turbo cars and never had an issue. I have concerns about Hyundai reliability in this case with their more complex motors. I have had a few friends with Hyundai 4 cylinders who had to get a new motor so part of me is concerned when adding a turbo will Hyundai do better. I won't even get into the EcoBoost Ford's. This Hyundai has a V6 and at least with my personal experience they have faired better than the 4 cylinder motors. As for turbos my Supra's 26 year old turbos are doing fine so turbos by themselves don't scare me. I just trust Toyota over Hyundai.
My only concerns is not really about turbos but the packing of more than 100 HP per litre of engine displacement.
From a reliability perspective of course, unless they can prove with better techniques and materials they can do it and still get long engine life.

If they can do 150-200 hp per litre and the engine lasts, ok then! lol
Old 01-28-23, 10:50 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In person the refresh Palisade grill is really good looking. Its very flat and imposing.

Honestly? I would choose either of these equally, I like aspects of both. I really think for me it would come down to which is the easier to get and has the smallest ADM
i have seen it in person & looks overdone just too shiny not my taste
overall I can appreciate why these are so popular since styling is subjective

Originally Posted by Margate330
I like the Telluride grill a little better to.
But, this one is growing on me too...
Telluride has a cleaner look. It will be interesting to see a comparison with new Pilot and upcoming grand highlander
Old 01-29-23, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats why they have both...

I sat in the new Pilot as well at the car show, not compelling at all.
Old 01-29-23, 07:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

hyundai/kia having the palisade / telluride duo is very smart because the conversation goes from "do i get a palisade" to "do i get a palisade or a telluride, i'm getting one of them dammit"

my only issue is i keep forgetting which model has 2 l's and which has 1.
Old 01-29-23, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Very smart for them to have two vehicles that are essentially the same with such different looks and personalities
Old 01-29-23, 10:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the Pilot has been compelling since the 1st gen (which I owned); and even then, part of the reason it was compelling was because there was much less competition.
Old 01-29-23, 07:31 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. Not compelling in what way ? I am yet to see one in person.
Old 01-29-23, 07:58 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 962 Likes on 443 Posts

The new Pilot has a 10 speed automatic with their V6. It should be a smooth appliance with no excitement in it's bones I would assume if previous generations are an indication.
Old 01-29-23, 09:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't think the Pilot has been compelling since the 1st gen (which I owned); and even then, part of the reason it was compelling was because there was much less competition.

The Pilot has always gone head-to-head with the Toyota Highlander. Later, some other mid-sized SUV-crossovers also began to compete after they converted to a unibody set-up.
Old 01-30-23, 06:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

interesting. Not compelling in what way ? I am yet to see one in person.
Its just, blah. Typical Honda austere and crummy inside, nothing interesting outside, and not as well packaged or as spacious inside as these two. I feel similarly about it how I feel about the Highlander.
Old 01-30-23, 07:55 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I sat in both the Palisade (Telluride was on a turntable) and the MDX at the car show today, and honestly the Palisade is considerably nicer...
The Palisade does have a nice clean interior design but the MDX is nicer(IMO)

Quick Reply: Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers