Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-23, 01:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Those compete with the MDX, not the RDX.
Corrected. Good catch. Thanks.
Old 01-31-23, 01:30 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Those are literally the reasons people buy an SUV at any price.
People buy SUVs for many different reasons - trend, safety, higher ride height, extra room. Out of those things, I'd say room is the least important. The reason why I say that is based on my own ownership of an SUV and a sedan and based off of how I see the general public use larger vehicles. For example, even in a regular sedan, people don't fully utilize all the space. On trucks, it's even worst. You'll see people drive around in their trucks hauling absolute nothing. Cargo space is useful here and there, but its not a real need(generally speaking). And once you enter luxury car space, the need for space is even less because of the lifestyle of the owners. They simply don't haul heavy stuff in their expensive luxury cars.

Originally Posted by tex2670
And there's lots of people who feel the same way. I'm the complete opposite - I'd rather get more features and content than an Acura badge, which is barely prestigious.
I'm fine without all the latest gadgetry. Just give me a good sound system and a rear view camera when I'm backing up and I'm good.

Also agree on the Acura badge. It feels like an entry level luxury car. But they've been working hard to change that. You can see it with the new MDX. The car just looks solid. Still, a base Acura is just going to be better than a loaded KIA imo.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For various reasons I'd probably choose the MDX but there is no denying that actual consumers prefer the Palisade/Telluride duo overwhelmingly over the RDX.

2022 sales = RDX 24,749, Palisade 82,688 and Telluride 99,891.
those are impressive numbers lol.
Old 01-31-23, 01:32 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 962 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
That may be true now but the first two years if Kia produced double what they did (think it was 70k) they would have sold all of them. They had a wait list before Covid.
I do agree. Hyundai and Kia have made vehicles compelling to the masses. Acura has not done that. We have a market that the players are not on equal footing. I do think Honda would do better than they are now but Acura not much better. Most models feel like slightly warmed over Hondas. The Stinger, Pallisade, Telluride, etc. all have up to date tech and a good standard list at a good price.
Old 01-31-23, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Spacing/cargo room isn't that important in the 50k SUV segment. People who buy SUV rarely ever use the extra cargo space to its fully extent.
I completely disagree, and as a buyer in the segment myself right now, space is really important to me. 3 row crossovers are family vehicles, its not a cool 2 row X5 or X3...its a family vehicle.

The MDX beats the KIA in prestige, looks, and options. I'd rather get a base MDX over a fully optioned out KIA all day.
Prestige? Please lol. An Acura has little to no prestige, its not a Mercedes or BMW. Tellurides are HOT, my neighbor has one, he traded his Audi Q5 on it (why? because he needed space) and he was telling me yesterday he has never had a car that has gotten more attention or more comments/compliments than his Telluride. My business partner has a Palisade and he too gets tons of comments or questions about them.

The MDX is better looking I agree, and you can get some options on them you can't get on a Telluride or Palisade, but not much actually. The much smaller space inside is a way bigger issue to me as a buyer in the segment than how it looks.

You really need to get past the being worried what other people think of what you drive thing. You know what people think about what you drive? Nothing. They don't think about it at all lol
Old 01-31-23, 03:49 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 962 Likes on 443 Posts

My friend and his wife bought the Pallisade because it had what they wanted that the others did not. It is nice for what it is.
Old 01-31-23, 04:01 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Spacing/cargo room isn't that important in the 50k SUV segment. People who buy SUV rarely ever use the extra cargo space to its fully extent.

The MDX beats the KIA in prestige, looks, and options. I'd rather get a base MDX over a fully optioned out KIA all day.
Sure but people still want larger cars. Reality and actual normal usage be damned they want to know the capability is there even if they never use it since most people only have one car per person so between two cars they need to do all things.

Massive disadvantage vs people with space/money to have cars for each dedicated role.

Plus Acura is Acura. Nothing special
Old 01-31-23, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly, I have no interest in having a bunch of cars, its too much stress and stuff to worry about. If I had the room I could see myself picking up a fun car, like maybe an SL500 like AJT's, but thats all I would get. I would keep one family hauling/road trip vehicle, and my luxury sedan for everyday use.
Old 01-31-23, 05:43 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

People buy SUVs for many different reasons - trend, safety, higher ride height, extra room. Out of those things, I'd say room is the least important. The reason why I say that is based on my own ownership of an SUV and a sedan and based off of how I see the general public use larger vehicles. For example, even in a regular sedan, people don't fully utilize all the space. On trucks, it's even worst. You'll see people drive around in their trucks hauling absolute nothing. Cargo space is useful here and there, but its not a real need(generally speaking). And once you enter luxury car space, the need for space is even less because of the lifestyle of the owners. They simply don't haul heavy stuff in their expensive luxury cars.
Perception is what matters. Most people will never use all their available cargo room, but that doesn't mean it isn't a major factor for their decision. Just like how people buy a high horsepower car just to drive stop-and-go at 10 mph around a traffic-ridden city. The matter of fact is that crossovers outsell sedans by an enormous margin, and that perception of utility is why they do.
Old 01-31-23, 06:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The HP one is funny, people normally don't use what they bought or accuse people who use what they bought as being unreasonable lol! I've gotten the latter many many times, but what's the point of buying a capable car if not to use the ability....
Old 01-31-23, 08:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
The HP one is funny, people normally don't use what they bought or accuse people who use what they bought as being unreasonable lol! I've gotten the latter many many times, but what's the point of buying a capable car if not to use the ability....
You don’t get derided for using the cars ability, you do for doing so dangerously on public roads. Take it to a track and use it all you want.
Old 01-31-23, 10:18 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Perception is what matters. Most people will never use all their available cargo room, but that doesn't mean it isn't a major factor for their decision. Just like how people buy a high horsepower car just to drive stop-and-go at 10 mph around a traffic-ridden city. The matter of fact is that crossovers outsell sedans by an enormous margin, and that perception of utility is why they do.
True words.
My 3/4 ton Dodge Turbo Diesel sat around looking pretty.

Rarely used it but it would comfortably carry a pallet of bags of decorative rock in the bed at approx 1 ton weight- loaded into the bed straight off the forklift.
Yeah I could've had it delivered but what good is having toys if you don't get to play once in a while. lol
Old 02-01-23, 01:07 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets get back on topic a bit. SW17LS said the Palisade is nicer than the MDX.

I just don't agree with that. The Acura MDX is nicer. Yes, the Palisade and Telluride are nice SUVs, but they don't compete with the MDX. The extra space argument is negliable because they arn't that much diffferent being that they are both SUVs with a 2cubicft difference in cargo. If space was such a huge deal, better to get a minivan.

I would gladly give up that tiny bit of extra spacing in the Palisade/Telluride and hop in an MDX at the 50k range.

The Kias and the Palisade/Telluride are really just new cars/suvs that looks nice and shiny in the moment. Once that novelty wears off, you'll see that it doesn't compete, even with an "entry" level Acura because luxury cars stand the test of time and hold their equity quite well. And this segment of SUVs has some competition with the new Mazda CX-90 coming out, which I'd much prefer over a KIA.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-01-23 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-01-23, 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
For various reasons I'd probably choose the MDX but there is no denying that actual consumers prefer the Palisade/Telluride duo overwhelmingly over the RDX.
telluride is 10" longer and 3" wider and taller than an rdx so i don't think they're competitors, lol.

about the mdx, i absolutely hate the dash / center console design.

Old 02-01-23, 05:00 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You don’t get derided for using the cars ability, you do for doing so dangerously on public roads. Take it to a track and use it all you want.
Case in point
Old 02-01-23, 05:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
telluride is 10" longer and 3" wider and taller than an rdx so i don't think they're competitors, lol.

about the mdx, i absolutely hate the dash / center console design.

That was a typo on my part lol. I meant MDX.

Quick Reply: Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers