Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-23, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

That interior was full of hartd plastic and fake wood...nothing luxurious there either.
Disagree. Real wood or not, It had a much richer look to it than today's MDX interior.
Old 02-01-23, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
you don’t get it. Someone brought up the sales figures of the Pallisade and the Kia, and compared it to a $15,000 more expensive vehicle. Make them the same price, and see how well they sell. A cheaper vehicle will sell better. And take away the longer warranty.
That statement doesn't make any sense though. Of course the cheaper vehicle sells better, it doesn't mean that the Palisade and Telluride don't offer what those near-luxury makes offer though for less money. Making them the same price wouldn't make any sense, because one is a mainstream brand and the other is a luxury brand.
Old 02-01-23, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Disagree. Real wood or not, It had a much richer look to it than today's MDX interior.
I have never found the interior of any Acuras appealing
Old 02-01-23, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll agree that today's MDX is not that impressive, but, at one time, the MDX had a first-class interior, materials, and quality/solidness of assembly. And today's Telluride or Palisade, nice as they are, couldn't come anywhere near it.

I think the faux wood is tacky. Maybe it’s real IDK. I think the seats in the second pic looks nice.
Old 02-01-23, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not real, totally fake.

You can get real wood on a modern MDX in high packages.
Old 02-01-23, 03:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The fact that the MDX is being compared to the Palisade and Telluride instead of the GV80 it's priced against is a perfect example of how weak it is as a competitor in its class. I'd say the only real saving grace it has is the air suspension, which may be more of a liability for some, and is only available on the top-of-the-line Type S.

I don't know if the CX-90 will be a better car than the MDX, but on paper it certainly has better bones.
Totally agree. That is extremely telling
Old 02-01-23, 03:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

you don’t get it. Someone brought up the sales figures of the Pallisade and the Kia, and compared it to a $15,000 more expensive vehicle. Make them the same price, and see how well they sell. A cheaper vehicle will sell better. And take away the longer warranty.
Those are factors lol! So many more will go look at a car they can "get into" then be pushed toward the nicer one. Something that starts at "too much" won't even be looked it by these buyers and warranty matters
Old 02-03-23, 06:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Top Spec Palisades and Tellurides have been selling with $10K addendums for nearly 3 years now. So yes, there are many people who are willing to pay $50K plus for the interior of the Palisade and Telluride. Vs MDX had been and continues to be discounted, even the vaunted new Type S, which admittedly is a solid dynamic vehicle, but comes up short in interior materials and then you have to deal with the TrueTouchPad which is a deal breaker for many.

Old 02-04-23, 09:09 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll agree that today's MDX is not that impressive, but, at one time, the MDX had a first-class interior, materials, and quality/solidness of assembly. And today's Telluride or Palisade, nice as they are, couldn't come anywhere near it.

My brother in law had a 1st Gen MDX. I was definitely nice inside, but I would never say that the MDX had a "first class" interior. Nicer than a Pilot, sure. But these pics, to me, aren't "first class".

And I had a 2nd Gen TL - same deal. Nice inside, but "first class" - no way.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-04-23 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 09:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That statement doesn't make any sense though. Of course the cheaper vehicle sells better, it doesn't mean that the Palisade and Telluride don't offer what those near-luxury makes offer though for less money. Making them the same price wouldn't make any sense, because one is a mainstream brand and the other is a luxury brand.
I think @LexsCTJill was just commenting on the post about how the Telluride and Palisade outsell the MDX in huge numbers, and she has a point - if you could isolate the highest trim Kias and Hyundais sales numbers and see how those compare to the MDX, that's a more fair comparison. Because the Palisade/Telluride figures include all trims, including those lower trims that aren't a fair comparison to the MDX.
Old 02-04-23, 09:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

That interior was full of hartd plastic and fake wood...nothing luxurious there either.
And the buttons, oh lord the buttons! SOOOOO many buttons! I was honestly surprised when they went to the pushbutton shifter, that it didn't have 17 separate buttons. (PRNDL, Sport, parking brake, auto hold, plus 9 more for each individual gear).
Old 02-04-23, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think @LexsCTJill was just commenting on the post about how the Telluride and Palisade outsell the MDX in huge numbers, and she has a point - if you could isolate the highest trim Kias and Hyundais sales numbers and see how those compare to the MDX, that's a more fair comparison. Because the Palisade/Telluride figures include all trims, including those lower trims that aren't a fair comparison to the MDX.
Oh I agree with that, comparing the sales volumes of the two doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by geko29
And the buttons, oh lord the buttons! SOOOOO many buttons! I was honestly surprised when they went to the pushbutton shifter, that it didn't have 17 separate buttons. (PRNDL, Sport, parking brake, auto hold, plus 9 more for each individual gear).
Haha, so true
Old 02-04-23, 09:33 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
My brother in law had a 1st Gen MDX. I was definitely nice inside, but I would never say that the MDX had a "first class" interior. Nicer than a Pilot, sure. But these pics, to me, aren't "first class".

And I had a 2nd Gen TL - same deal. Nice inside, but "first class" - no way.
Its first class. Not sure what more you want out of a car that this MDX cannot do.

The same gen Lexus RX isn't even this nice now that I'm looking at these pics. The RX has the same veneer wood trimming and even has less of it, but it's considered a more luxurious vehicle.

This gen MDX are some of my favorite cars because Acura(to me) found their footing in the styling(beak grille) but they just had to go and change it to the pentagon grille

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-04-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-04-23, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That interior is not "first class", its a decent interior but at the time there were far nicer interiors being made.

The RX had real wood veneer, the MDX is artificial wood.

Most people hated the beak grille.
Old 02-04-23, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Most people hated the beak grille.

That, you and I can agree on. (Yeah, it happens every once in a while LOL) . Acura clearly stuck with that parrot-beak too long. So did Lexus with the spindles, and Audi with their big oversize rectangles.

And if you think the production parrot-beaks were bad, just look at this one...fortunately, it did not go into production.

Quick Reply: Carsplain Review: Hyundai Palisade is STILL one of the best family haulers