Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You don't need an electric vehicle with a long range

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 05:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I get more than promised on the window sticker and I will bet you that most people fall on my side of the argument.

I don't get to range promised in an EV since I drive them to their power/performance envelope like I do most cars and I also don't live in the cali bubble world. You are by definition the average market consumer many many many things are built for/toward.

I'm an extreme exception.
Yes you are . This wasn't even geared for you, it's just information I'm passing along
Old 02-02-23, 05:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

It probably would, I did 187 today one way and 90 back. If I was in an EV it may or may not have had the range depending on how it was driven and if it got colder or not when I was out.

I don't want to care about that and there are no benefits for me to have one.
Werent you looking for an i3 EV not that long ago?

So you drive 270 miles a day. Do you drive 70,000 miles a year? You don’t because that’s not a typical day.
Old 02-02-23, 05:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I feel this forum went from Car Chat to EV Chat.
Even the non-EV threads end up EV related…
I just have to ask you... where are all the exciting non EV threads? Threads on the latest non EV developments? Something exciting and new from Lexus? Why aren't people in those discussions? If you post something relevant and interesting, heck I'll be happy to jump in and participate. I'm being totally serious
Old 02-02-23, 06:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

This site has forums dedicated to every Lexus ever made anyone that wants to discuss ICE cars and trucks has no shortage of content.
Old 02-02-23, 08:27 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the general public needs about a 70-100mile range EV. If they need to travel long distances, better off renting an ICE.

An EV like this will cut down on pollution enormously.
Old 02-03-23, 03:55 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Let’s just be honest a little about Tesla’s claimed range. I know my experience is anecdotal but I started at 325 miles of range yesterday and drove about 102 miles yesterday. I ended up last night with 114 miles of range left. It’s very cold here so that changes things a lot as does using sentry (about 30 miles of range to be conservative). Even my friend I was with this week that has a Model 3P said the claimed range was BS.

That is a good bit worse than claimed so I think we need to be a little more honest when we talk about day to day range instead of quoting the highest EPA rated range. We seem to do it with all cars here but it’s just a little disingenuous to quote that on a day to day basis. Also a little disappointing is when I get close to 100 miles of range left power drops off a fair amount although it’s still fast as heck. With the lesser Tesla models power falls off a lot quicker so that should be mentioned too.
Old 02-03-23, 04:21 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the same. Stop trying to force people into something that doesn't work for them and they don't want.
It's not about forcing people into something that doesn't work for them. It's trying to make them understand that it does work for them by overcoming incorrect assumptions.
Old 02-03-23, 04:32 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No one is preaching to you. I don't know why you think that. You either are interested in EV'S or you are not, it's that simple. You just can't get it through your mind that they are a viable option for many people who think they are not. If you don't think they work for you, and if it bothers you than just don't read these threads. There are many threads that are not relevant to me, and I just don't read them
yeah you are or you’re not. I’m somehow just not interested. I guess finding stations is the reason but I have a separate long distance hauler so it’s really not range.
Old 02-03-23, 04:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
People have that much power over you? Seems to me you can buy what you want.

Well yeah I can buy what I want, but I still can be annoyed at people/tv/movements telling me what to do or trying to do so. I'm not going to be lectured by those people.

What if every time you turned on the TV you heard people/movements/politicians criticize EVs and say a V8 is the only way to go for a truck? Or any decent car for that matter like it used to be? And then poo poo EVs and list out all the shortcomings.

It would get on your nerves, no?
Old 02-03-23, 05:21 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
This obsession with range is very odd to me. Instead of focusing on short trips which is 99% of driving people focus in on the 1% as a reason an electric vehicle might not work for them.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786

You don't need an electric vehicle with a long range — buy one you can afford instead

which is why I am confused why a plug in hybrid isn't thought to be a better choice than a full electric vehicle?

For the usual Electric Vehicle supporters, is it really about the environment or is it about going 0-60 in 3 seconds?

Old 02-03-23, 05:26 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Nobody is gonna tell me how much range I “need”.
Old 02-03-23, 05:40 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876

which is why I am confused why a plug in hybrid isn't thought to be a better choice than a full electric vehicle?

For the usual Electric Vehicle supporters, is it really about the environment or is it about going 0-60 in 3 seconds?
Not to sound like a **** or anything but our EV purchases have not once been about or been driven by the environment. For us it's all about the instant power, smoothness, lack of noise, cheap running costs, and ability to do all our refueling at home in our garage.

As someone who enjoys good handling and driving feel, the one thing that I really enjoy is how the chassis stiffness from the skateboard battery pack, 50/50 weight balance and low center of gravity combine to completely change how they go down the road and how they feel around corners and turns. It's fantastic. We have some freeway interchanges and exit ramps out here that have some crazy aggressive corners that can be taken with pretty good speed and our Model Y blows me away with how fast it can go around some of these while staying completely flat. It just wants to be pushed further and further. It's limits really surprise me. It would give a much lighter and smaller ICE car a run for its money.

I don't think we could ever go back to ICE, we're an EV only household from here out.
Old 02-03-23, 05:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Not to sound like a **** or anything but our EV purchases have not once been about or been driven by the environment. For us it's all about the instant power, smoothness, lack of noise, cheap running costs, and ability to do all our refueling at home in our garage.

As someone who enjoys good handling and driving feel, the one thing that I really enjoy is how the chassis stiffness from the skateboard battery pack, 50/50 weight balance and low center of gravity combine to completely change how they go down the road and how they feel around corners and turns. It's fantastic. We have some freeway interchanges and exit ramps out here that have some crazy aggressive corners that can be taken with pretty good speed and our Model Y blows me away with how fast it can go around some of these while staying completely flat. It just wants to be pushed further and further. It's limits really surprise me. It would give a much lighter and smaller ICE car a run for its money.

I don't think we could ever go back to ICE, we're an EV only household from here out.
Same, I like the way the car drives and I like not having to stop at a gas station every week.
Old 02-03-23, 05:53 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

As someone who enjoys good handling and driving feel, the one thing that I really enjoy is how the chassis stiffness from the skateboard battery pack, 50/50 weight balance and low center of gravity combine to completely change how they go down the road and how they feel around corners and turns. It's fantastic. We have some freeway interchanges and exit ramps out here that have some crazy aggressive corners that can be taken with pretty good speed and our Model Y blows me away with how fast it can go around some of these while staying completely flat. It would give a much lighter and smaller ICE car a run for its money.

This point of view I don't disagree with. EVs will certainly be faster and better handling than a similarly priced PHEV today and probably ever. I may be wrong but it seems like some here push the EV agenda because of the environment yet hates plug in hybrids. With the PHEV you also get cheap running costs (not as cheap as a full on EV but the initial price is usually much less), lack of noise and smoothness for most if not all of your daily commute and the ability to do most of your refueling at home in your garage. So the only thing lacking is the instant power, handling, a bit more maintenance and less interior volume (since a frunk wouldn't be possible).

So it begs the question, why is the government pushing for full EVs for the environment when it seems a plug in hybrid would IMO net a better result for the environment. (in no way am I insinuating any conspiracy or bringing in politics). I am just thinking this wasn't thought completely through by the Government.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Same, I like the way the car drives and I like not having to stop at a gas station every week.
not having to stop at a gas station every week is very likely with a PHEV as well. Personally, I want an EV for the similar reasons, quick acceleration combined with low running cost. If it helps the environment as well then great but that wouldn't be the reason I switch to an EV.

Last edited by Blaze876; 02-03-23 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-03-23, 06:02 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
This point of view I don't disagree with..

So it begs the question, why is the government pushing for full EVs for the environment when it seems a plug in hybrid would IMO net a better result for the environment. (in no way am I insinuating any conspiracy or bringing in politics). I am just thinking this wasn't thought completely through by the Government.

not having to stop at a gas station every week is very likely with a PHEV as well. Personally, I want an EV for the similar reasons, quick acceleration combined with low running cost. If the environment as well then great but that wouldn't be the reason I switch to an EV.
The amount of diesel used alone to mine for lithium is crazy, mining which is awful for the environment I might add.

Quick Reply: You don't need an electric vehicle with a long range