Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

You don't need an electric vehicle with a long range

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 08:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
My colleage's Chevy Volt is beating the expected range by quite a bit.

He showed me his phone app the other day on how far he has traveled and the range left and he is getting 300+ miles range.
I asked him how he does it and he says he drives for max efficiency and doesn't run the AC or Heat for his experiment to see how much range he can get.
My Polestar is also beating the EPA listed range, but what I'm saying is their testing methods are flawed and I don't rely on them. I think Europe's method gives more accurate range
Old 02-03-23, 08:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The combined EPA estimate assumes 55% city and 45% highway. Electric vehicles tend to be more efficient during non-highway driving. If you’re driving at less than highway speeds for over 55% of your driving you’re probably going to beat the EPA estimates.

Yes sir he does.
Maybe that's how he's killing it on the expected range.

All local driving in a metro area with lots of traffic lights.
Not sure how much running the AC will cost but he is beating the expected range by a lot by not running it.
Old 02-03-23, 08:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

the article is such a ridiculous ev promoting puff piece, telling people "oh don't worry about range, you don't need it most of the time".

yeah, right.

well i drive to south florida several times a year and i can do it EASILY without getting gas in my vehicles. i don't WANT to HAVE TO stop to recharge on the way. do i stop on the way normally? yes, usually 1 bathroom break (5 minutes), stretch legs.

and to those who say "oh just rent an ice for the long trip" - i'm guessing they haven't see how expensive car rentals are lately. hell to the no.
Old 02-03-23, 08:42 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and to those who say "oh just rent an ice for the long trip" - i'm guessing they haven't see how expensive car rentals are lately. hell to the no.
$50/day as opposed to $600/month for 34 months?

You wouldn't buy a truck just to haul some stuff for a couple of hours.
Old 02-03-23, 08:52 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

the article is such a ridiculous ev promoting puff piece, telling people "oh don't worry about range, you don't need it most of the time".

yeah, right.

well i drive to south florida several times a year and i can do it EASILY without getting gas in my vehicles. i don't WANT to HAVE TO stop to recharge on the way. do i stop on the way normally? yes, usually 1 bathroom break (5 minutes), stretch legs.

I think you are totally getting the premise of the article wrong. This wasn't even meant to be controversial LOL. It's suggestions to potential EV buyers that battery size is not important factor UNLESS it is. If I was buying an EV for my commute and it's only 30 miles a day, I own a home where I can install a Level 2 charger, than why would I need to buy an EV with a 300 mile range spending money on a battery size I would never use? Now if I'm @SW17LS and I meet clients all the time to show houses and my commute can be 100 miles or longer, OR I want a car that I can drive on a trip, than I would need an EV with more range.

I'm just blown away this even got this many emotional responses. In my mind I was just posting information that may be useful to someone who is a potential EV buyer and may be budget conscious. Imagine if I had actually posted a controversial article...

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-03-23 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-03-23, 08:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
I was referring to the V6 Sport Accord(which I would take over the Y all day).
Which is now two full generations old. It was discontinued 3 years before the Y was introduced.

Earlier you referenced a '22 Accord Sport V6, which was never a thing. The last one was 2016. This is the literal definition of a strawman. There are plenty of cars that don't exist that I would buy if they did.
Old 02-03-23, 09:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Which is now two full generations old. It was discontinued 3 years before the Y was introduced.

Earlier you referenced a '22 Accord Sport V6, which was never a thing. The last one was 2016. This is the literal definition of a strawman. There are plenty of cars that don't exist that I would buy if they did.
Um, yeah. It was discontinued the 9th gen
Old 02-03-23, 09:09 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
I'd rather drive a 30k 22' Honda Accord V6 over a 60k model Y.

+Refill once a week, good to go. A full refill takes less than 5 minutes.
+Maintenance is minimal. An oil change takes less than 20 minutes(if DIY(5 minutes if you're good)))
- No need to plug in every night.
- No need to be afraid of range.
+Superior sophistication because its an ICE.
+Superior choices in style.
+More lively engine and fun to drive, even though it may be slower to accelerate.

The choice is crystal clear(to me)
Cars aren’t one size fits all and it sounds like you know exactly what you want. Enjoy your Accord
Old 02-03-23, 09:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

You can’t read an article about the TRX without several paragraphs whining about fuel economy is also my point about the magazines.

Who cares??????? Running a leaf blower for 45 minutes is worse for the environment than driving a 6.2L Raptor 3800 miles from Canada down here.

Do we really think buyers of a 700hp truck care about MPG?

Just say it’s terrible and move on.
Old 02-03-23, 09:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
This point of view I don't disagree with. EVs will certainly be faster and better handling than a similarly priced PHEV today and probably ever. I may be wrong but it seems like some here push the EV agenda because of the environment yet hates plug in hybrids. With the PHEV you also get cheap running costs (not as cheap as a full on EV but the initial price is usually much less), lack of noise and smoothness for most if not all of your daily commute and the ability to do most of your refueling at home in your garage. So the only thing lacking is the instant power, handling, a bit more maintenance and less interior volume (since a frunk wouldn't be possible).

So it begs the question, why is the government pushing for full EVs for the environment when it seems a plug in hybrid would IMO net a better result for the environment. (in no way am I insinuating any conspiracy or bringing in politics). I am just thinking this wasn't thought completely through by the Government.
Many PHEVs also get IRA money.

Originally Posted by AJT123
The amount of diesel used alone to mine for lithium is crazy, mining which is awful for the environment I might add.
Fact check false. This has been debunked over and over including on this forum.
Old 02-03-23, 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You can’t read an article about the TRX without several paragraphs whining about fuel economy is also my point about the magazines.

Who cares??????? Running a leaf blower for 45 minutes is worse for the environment than driving a 6.2L Raptor 3800 miles from Canada down here.

Do we really think buyers of a 700hp truck care about MPG?

Just say it’s terrible and move on.
Most EV buyers I talk to don't buy EV's for environmental reasons. I don't. I buy bought my two (and will be buying another one) simply because they generate a ton of power, are smooth with almost zero NVH at any speed and are highly efficient. Oh, and that instant torque! Plus I never have to perform maint on it (no oil changes, filter etc) and my cost of electricity is roughly about $30 a month. My Sienna on the other hand is about $60 to $70 a week Costco gas

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 02-03-23 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-03-23, 09:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Many PHEVs also get IRA money.
Fact check false. This has been debunked over and over including on this forum.
So what powers the machinery?
Old 02-03-23, 09:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

So what powers the machinery?
This is not the thread for such discussion, search this forum and google well to wheel EV and ICE.
Old 02-03-23, 09:42 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I gave the Model Y a go lol - adjusting the mirrors and almost everything else with the dumb rolling ***** on the steering wheel was exercise in frustration. The sun visors are literally thinner than cardboard. The fact there is no HUD and no gauges in front is a HUGE safety hazard.
I would say it's different than most cars, which takes getting used to. Honestly, I've never adjusted the side mirrors or steering wheel after setting it the first time, so are dedicated buttons really necessary?
I also find it easier to see a big number than interpret a little needle, but I switch back and forth between those with a Tesla and Merc regularly and it's not a problem. My '14 Benz only has tachometer, speedometer, and a crappy little LCD display in the cluster so really it's only speed out of all that space I truly need.

yeah, right.

I kind of agree. Charging does matter by brand, location, and intended use. You can't make a blanket statement. Even though I have home charging I won't go full EV unless one is around 500 miles, especially for non-Teslas. At that range I can go to nearby destinations from Philly suburbs without really charging. State college, NYC, Jersey shore, etc. The main reason I'm drawing that line is I don't feel like being inconvenienced traveling with kids. When I do go to those places, a lot of other travelers are too. Range is a splurge in EVs right now, we should just own that fact until enough investment is made in charging.
Old 02-03-23, 10:09 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

So many great posts on both sides.

If I had a daily commute of under 50 miles as I once did, I think I'd go straight to the PHEV as more cool models come available.
Nice balance, run my commute on the batteries.

Disclaimer, I don't know the details about PHEV's yet but if I understand it has a low range battery and ICE.
Lots of brands and models to choose from if I understand.

Hybrids are ok but not my thing, I don't want to hear the engine start and stop at every light.

PS- if I am wrong plz go easy on me, I always come to CL with empty pockets and come with what I know and don't lol
Unless I have to look up some technical stuff to help a member in the models forum, of course.
BTW, I've learned a lot from ya'll members.

Quick Reply: You don't need an electric vehicle with a long range