Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 02:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
uh—yeah. It’s fact that a DOHC breathes better than a pushrod. A pushrod could only dream of revving to where a DOHC can rev.
Pushrod engines don't need to breathe as much as a DOHC. In general, minus a turbo, they make more torque at lower RPMs than a DOHC....which catch up later in the rev-band with higher HP ratings at higher RPMS.
Old 02-06-23, 03:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
uh—yeah. It’s fact that a DOHC breathes better than a pushrod. A pushrod could only dream of revving to where a DOHC can rev. Like I said, there are pros and cons to both. You claimed there are no pros to a DOHC engine and you wrong. DOHC engines do not need the higher displacement required in a pushrod, makes them more fuel efficient.

I do not care what someone can build aftermarket.
LOL! No it's not true at all. SHOW ME a same physical size, weight, FPM, DOHC engine that comes close to the GM LS or Chrysler Hemi engines. You are up against a 425lb engine that is SMALLER than a 2GR engine that gets over 30 mpg in a 3500lb car and makes 525hp btw....and that's 2010 tech. The higher displacement pushrods usually get better MPG as well, sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. Look at the Toyota trucks vs the domestics, the V8 cars, anything where there is a comparable import it will lose.

Sorry, but it's solely an emissions thing and refinement in some cases. The 5.7 in my Sequoia gets it's *** handed to it by the 6.2 in my dads truck in every hard metric, the performance is only saved by the better transmission in the Toyota and ultra aggressive rear gearing but the fact remains it eats more fuel, is less powerful, and is WAY more complex and difficult to keep in service if an issue does occur. You are not just casually pulling heads off a 3UR engine to refresh the headgasket or whatever and the valley plate leak issue those have WILL occur and it WILL take longer to do than head replacement on an LS engine for example. You have never owned that type of engine so you really do not have the experience to be saying anything on what they are like to live with vs my family owning NOTHING BUT V8s since 1990 across all brands except BMW.

My old Jeep, one van, and one car are the ONLY non-8/10/12s in the entire family. Everything else is an 8+ so I know what has issues vs not and what they are like for people to live with. We have 9, 5.7 Toyota engines in my dads side alone and 4 on my moms and while they are normally great god help you if you have an issue since you will be out 5-9k depending on what happened. The LS engines have had two more engine failures sure but one was from an idiot uncle driving it with no coolant for 4 hours and it was fixed for under 3k with new headgaskets and the other was run out of oil, again junkyard swap for under $1500

DOHC designs are more relevant in small, weak engines or with assistance from turbos. That's it. IF you have ability to use real bore sizes and displacement you don't get much if anything in return. By your logic the 4.0 GR engine you have in your car must be really bad then since it had very low RPM, HP/L and poor MPG+emissions as well no? Your car would be objectively superior with an aluminum 5.3 GM V8 and it would be lighter too.

Enjoy a 11k RPM pushrod engine.

Last edited by Striker223; 02-06-23 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 03:15 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pushrod engines don't need to breathe as much as a DOHC. In general, minus a turbo, they make more torque at lower RPMs than a DOHC....which catch up later in the rev-band with higher HP ratings at higher RPMS.
They never catch up. They just suffer lower TQ and response in the low RPM range and only draw even up top in NA applications, compare a 6.2 Gm or 6.4 Chrysler to anything Lexus has ever made. There is not contest, use the LS7 to just bury them.
Old 02-06-23, 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
LOL! No it's not true at all. SHOW ME a same physical size, weight, FPM, DOHC engine that comes close to the GM LS or Chrysler Hemi engines. You are up against a 425lb engine that is SMALLER than a 2GR engine that gets over 30 mpg in a 3500lb car and makes 525hp btw....and that's 2010 tech. The higher displacement pushrods usually get better MPG as well, sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. Look at the Toyota trucks vs the domestics, the V8 cars, anything where there is a comparable import it will lose.

Sorry, but it's solely an emissions thing and refinement in some cases. The 5.7 in my Sequoia gets it's *** handed to it by the 6.2 in my dads truck in every hard metric, the performance is only saved by the better transmission in the Toyota and ultra aggressive rear gearing but the fact remains it eats more fuel, is less powerful, and is WAY more complex and difficult to keep in service if an issue does occur. You are not just casually pulling heads off a 3UR engine to refresh the headgasket or whatever and the valley plate leak issue those have WILL occur and it WILL take longer to do than head replacement on an LS engine for example. You have never owned that type of engine so you really do not have the experience to be saying anything on what they are like to live with vs my family owning NOTHING BUT V8s since 1990 across all brands except BMW.

My old Jeep, one van, and one car are the ONLY non-8/10/12s in the entire family. Everything else is an 8+ so I know what has issues vs not and what they are like for people to live with. We have 9, 5.7 Toyota engines in my dads side alone and 4 on my moms and while they are normally great god help you if you have an issue since you will be out 5-9k depending on what happened. The LS engines have had two more engine failures sure but one was from an idiot uncle driving it with no coolant for 4 hours and it was fixed for under 3k with new headgaskets and the other was run out of oil, again junkyard swap for under $1500

DOHC designs are more relevant in small, weak engines or with assistance from turbos. That's it. IF you have ability to use real bore sizes and displacement you don't get much if anything in return. By your logic the 4.0 GR engine you have in your car must be really bad then since it had very low RPM, HP/L and poor MPG+emissions as well no? Your car would be objectively superior with an aluminum 5.3 GM V8 and it would be lighter too.

Now we are talking pros and cons.
Old 02-06-23, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Now we are talking pros and cons.

There are no small pushrod engines. They don’t make sense in small cars. The GR is all aluminum line the 5.3. Wrong engine to compare,

Enjoy a 20,000rpm DOHC red.line

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-06-23 at 03:44 PM.