Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 09:35 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Curious. What brand or model car do you have? Gonna look up the engine bay..
what's it matter? how the engine looks is not even remotely in my consideration when purchasing any car, premium or not. completely irrelevant. I'm totally happy with the "premium" feel of all my vehicles. My most recent purchase in December - I haven't even opened the hood yet. Don't even know what it looks like in there.

we have other threads here on cost cutting measures car companies take. would love to see them save a few dollars getting rid of something very few people see, and even fewer people care about, instead of stuff in the cabin itself.
Old 02-05-23, 09:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There is no way you've worked on any German cars, with few exceptions they range from annoying to a complete nightmare. Maybe they look nicer to you that does not translate into better in any practical sense.
When did I say they were easy to work on? I said they were attractive and well laid out. Easy to work on depends on the car, some of them are super easy to work on, some are a total nightmare. @Striker223 has worked on all of them and I'm sure he will agree.

Some Toyota engine bays are a nightmare to work on too.

Toyota has gone cheap with their electrical systems it is very obvious. Thinner insulation, cheap connectors, poor abrasion mitigation and a whole host of things Toyota would never dare to do in the past, Toyota's electrical systems are starting to remind me of Hyundai 15 years ago.
Where are the failures as a result? There aren't any. Sure they have cheapened out on how they appear, but I havent seen any evidence that has impacted their reliability or longevity. More just not over-engineering.
Old 02-05-23, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
what's it matter? how the engine looks is not even remotely in my consideration when purchasing any car, premium or not. completely irrelevant. I'm totally happy with the "premium" feel of all my vehicles. My most recent purchase in December - I haven't even opened the hood yet. Don't even know what it looks like in there.

we have other threads here on cost cutting measures car companies take. would love to see them save a few dollars getting rid of something very few people see, and even fewer people care about, instead of stuff in the cabin itself.
I wouldn't say it would impact my purchase decision either, but I definitely appreciate an attractive engine bay.
Old 02-05-23, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

what's it matter?f.
wanted to just observe the engine bay and offer my thoughts for discussion. But all good
Old 02-05-23, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

my lc500 engine bay looks really neat and tidy with the engine cover on. with it off... one hot mess.
Old 02-05-23, 09:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
When did I say they were easy to work on? I said they were attractive and well laid out. Easy to work on depends on the car, some of them are super easy to work on, some are a total nightmare. @Striker223 has worked on all of them and I'm sure he will agree.
You said well laid out and convenient, so convenient for what to look at?
Some Toyota engine bays are a nightmare to work on too.
Name one.

I've worked on Toyota's from the early 70s to almost current none of them are truly bad or even close to bad.
Where are the failures as a result? There aren't any. Sure they have cheapened out on how they appear, but I havent seen any evidence that has impacted their reliability or longevity. More just not over-engineering.
Have not been on the road long enough to know for sure.
Old 02-05-23, 09:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't say it would impact my purchase decision either, but I definitely appreciate an attractive engine bay.
Ok, but you are clearly one to pay attention to virtually every detail in a car; which doesn't necessarily translate into whether an engine cover makes a car "premium".
Old 02-05-23, 09:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my lc500 engine bay looks really neat and tidy with the engine cover on. with it off... one hot mess.
Devil's advocate - that just sounds like sweeping things under the rug, which to me, isn't "premium". Making a clean design without having to hide it -- that is premium.
Old 02-05-23, 10:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Making a clean design without having to hide it -- that is premium.
Exactly.

This is artfully done, plastic covers serve a purpose (fuse boxes, ignition wires etc.) not window dressing. This engine is a pleasure to work on even though space is tight.

Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?-7xcpell.jpg
Old 02-05-23, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You said well laid out and convenient, so convenient for what to look at?
as an example there is a clearly marked positive battery terminal, and a nice metal post for a neutral ground. In my Lexuses you have to try and find a bolt or something for the neutral ground. All the full points are clearly labeled and it’s easy to see the levels for coolant, washer fluid etc.

Name one.
AWD LS460, LS500 or anything else with that engine, Previa…

Ok, but you are clearly one to pay attention to virtually every detail in a car; which doesn't necessarily translate into whether an engine cover makes a car "premium".
I didn’t start this thread so clearly I’m not the only one who cares.
Old 02-05-23, 11:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

I didn’t start this thread so clearly I’m not the only one who cares.
Yeah well a lot of us have a lot of opinions about lots of seemingly minor things. There's an entire thread on HOA's, right? Lot's of people in HOA's care about lots of things that maybe they shouldn't focus on. That doesn't make their viewpoints right or wrong, necessarily -- it just makes them ... their opinion.
Old 02-05-23, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah well a lot of us have a lot of opinions about lots of seemingly minor things. There's an entire thread on HOA's, right? Lot's of people in HOA's care about lots of things that maybe they shouldn't focus on. That doesn't make their viewpoints right or wrong, necessarily -- it just makes them ... their opinion.
I don’t see anybody here doing anything but offering their opinions…

To me, when I buy a luxury car details like these add to what makes something luxurious. Things that don’t necessarily serve a functional purpose but are engineered in for aesthetics and attention to detail. Every once and a while I just open my hood just to look at it…
Old 02-05-23, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Mines the same way lol. But, they cared enough about aesthetics to put a cover over it so that’s something!
Old 02-05-23, 11:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Ever increasing emissions standards is why you see the rats nest engine bays.

Old 02-05-23, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ever increasing emissions standards is why you see the rats nest engine bays.
Yup, but at least throw a cover over it!

Quick Reply: Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?