Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 04:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's a nice touch, makes oil changes easier.
Now if they would put the drain plug up top too, that would be killer!

Then there would be no need to go under the car and get dirty just to do an oil change.
My drain plug IS up top. It's called the dipstick. I haven't dragged out the jack to do an oil change in over 10 years.
Old 02-06-23, 05:23 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Absolutely this... as if engineers are working purely on aesthetics.
In some cars, the function of the cover is to reduce engine noise. The valve trains and the injectors can be pretty noisy, and the covers frequently incorporate sound absorbing lining. Makes a lot of difference in cabin noise. Actually, this may be one of the reasons why the new NX gets poor reviews about engine noise when accelerating. A good cover with sound deadening material could solve the issue.
Old 02-06-23, 06:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL, doesn't bother me at all. i trust the japanese engineers knew exactly what they were doing.

One better hope that the technicians know what they are doing when they try and navigate through that mess.
Old 02-06-23, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

One better hope that the technicians know what they are doing when they try and navigate through that mess.
IMO that mess is way better looking than the mess that’s under my engine cover lol. I actually think that looks pretty cool
Old 02-06-23, 07:18 AM
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

I had some time working in R/D before. While it's far more complex than what's under the hood, the instruments are much less "messy" inside. Much less because they have separated enclosed boards inside. Nevertheless, the mechanical engineers for the projects always worked closely with R/D guys to ensure a proper airflow to prevent these things from over heating. I'm sure this is a priority for these automobile engineers. Unlike electronic components, there are not much they can do with the hoses/cables. I remember being in this place where I saw a lot of cables in front of the houses. I asked my friend and was told those were telephone cables. If another house needed a phone line, there would be another line added. Sounds like what's happening under the hood. Lol.
Old 02-06-23, 07:25 AM
katekebo
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

One big issue with the "mess" is rising maintenance and repair cost.
Toyota-made vehicles were known for their low maintenance and ownership cost. They didn't break down frequently, and when they did, they were easy and cheap to fix. This made them especially attractive to used car buyers and contributed to high resale value. Used car buyers rarely expect their cars to be flawless, but want the assurance and they won't cost them an-arm-and-a-leg to keep them going.
Now, Toyota-made vehicles maintenance costs are getting ridiculous. While their reliability is still OK, scheduled maintenance and repair costs are skyrocketing. A couple of examples. 2GR engine spark plugs replacement: >$600 because one needs to remove the intake manifold to access the rear bank. $60 in parts, the rest is labor. Vacuum pump replacement (required every 120k miles for safety reasons(: >$1200, $200 parts, rest labor. Many jobs that used to cost between $100 and $200, are now costing 5x more because of the amount of labor required to clear this "mess". And the incidence of mistakes is also rising. Mechanics are under pressure to finish the jobs quickly (many are paid a fixed amount of hours based on manufacturer's estimate instead of the real time necessary to do a job well done), and rush through things and mistakes are common. It's one thing that Toyota estimates a job to take 3 hrs, under perfect conditions, with every step rehearsed several times, and the reality of having to deal with rusted or stripped bolts, gaskets that are stuck and don't want to come off, etc., etc.

Old 02-06-23, 07:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^ a little over dramatic
Old 02-06-23, 08:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The state of things under the hood has never mattered to me to be honest. The 911 does amuse me the most though:

Old 02-06-23, 08:27 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The state of things under the hood has never mattered to me to be honest. The 911 does amuse me the most though:
It matters a lot. A lot of it is perception - the perception of no stones unturned.
Old 02-06-23, 09:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

At least so far Lexus doesn't hide the hood release that should be illegal.
Originally Posted by spwolf
This thread reminds me of VW salesman jumping on his front doors, proving how much better german cars are than Japanese.
Many dealers were told to parrot this, they didn't actually do the demonstration.. Problem is the whole thing was a blatant lie they said a Corolla door hinge would bend. It doesn't. They also said VW's don't rust which is also a lie.
Old 02-06-23, 09:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by katekebo
One big issue with the "mess" is rising maintenance and repair cost.
Toyota-made vehicles were known for their low maintenance and ownership cost. They didn't break down frequently, and when they did, they were easy and cheap to fix. This made them especially attractive to used car buyers and contributed to high resale value. Used car buyers rarely expect their cars to be flawless, but want the assurance and they won't cost them an-arm-and-a-leg to keep them going.
Now, Toyota-made vehicles maintenance costs are getting ridiculous. While their reliability is still OK, scheduled maintenance and repair costs are skyrocketing. A couple of examples. 2GR engine spark plugs replacement: >$600 because one needs to remove the intake manifold to access the rear bank. $60 in parts, the rest is labor. Vacuum pump replacement (required every 120k miles for safety reasons(: >$1200, $200 parts, rest labor. Many jobs that used to cost between $100 and $200, are now costing 5x more because of the amount of labor required to clear this "mess". And the incidence of mistakes is also rising. Mechanics are under pressure to finish the jobs quickly (many are paid a fixed amount of hours based on manufacturer's estimate instead of the real time necessary to do a job well done), and rush through things and mistakes are common. It's one thing that Toyota estimates a job to take 3 hrs, under perfect conditions, with every step rehearsed several times, and the reality of having to deal with rusted or stripped bolts, gaskets that are stuck and don't want to come off, etc., etc.
The reality is what I have always said, one of the reasons why Toyotas are so reliable is that they are pretty simple vehicles. As they become more complex, they will become less reliable and costlier to work on. The reality is though...they have no choice but to become more complex because the realities of the marketplace demand they do so (turbocharged powertrains, emissions requirements, etc.

Its not like this "mess" is Toyotas fault...
Old 02-06-23, 09:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
(turbocharged powertrains, emissions requirements, etc.
Toyota has been making turbos since the 1980s. You just didn't see them in North America. And the emission requirements are nothing new. Complexity does not mean they are less reliable
Old 02-06-23, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota has been making turbos since the 1980s. You just didn't see them in North America. And the emission requirements are nothing new. Complexity does not mean they are less reliable
Complexity means there is more potential for things to go wrong, and that repairs are more complicated and difficult, thus cost more.
Old 02-06-23, 09:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
It matters a lot. A lot of it is perception - the perception of no stones unturned.
I said it has never mattered to me.
Old 02-06-23, 11:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Complexity means there is more potential for things to go wrong, and that repairs are more complicated and difficult, thus cost more.
Toyota DOHC engines are more complex than GM pushrod engines. Toyota has no reliability issues. Just because something is more complicated or complex doesn’t meant they less reliable. Toyota small cars in the 80s and 90s led the way with emissions technology for small engines, they had no issues with reliability compared to basic stuff offered by the American brands.

Quick Reply: Does this look to you like a premium vehicle?