Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Grand Highlander pics, videos and reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 09:37 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Slightly bigger? It's already longer and wider than the Palisade, let alone the Santa Fe. These 0-60 numbers are completely fine for a car of this mass. It likely has over 700-900lbs on your Santa Fe too.
The GV80 which is even bigger and heavier than RX500h does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds with the same 2.5T engine as the Santa Fe. Unfortunately, Toyota's Hybrid Max 4-cylinder doesn't seem much more competitive than existing turbo 4 cylinders despite what the power numbers suggest.
Old 02-09-23, 09:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,202 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I must be hopelessly out of touch I find the styling of this behemoth offensive. It is form over function to the extreme the giant grille and jacked up hood line are there because.....I don't know. What is this look supposed to convey?
Weight, size, power, presence, upright and squared designs tend to do that. We are coming full circle back to 80s box designs with a bunch of styling lines...
Old 02-09-23, 09:44 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,202 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The GV80 which is even bigger and heavier than RX500h does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds with the same 2.5T engine as the Santa Fe. Unfortunately, Toyota's Hybrid Max 4-cylinder doesn't seem much more competitive than existing turbo 4 cylinders despite what the power numbers suggest.
Probably Toyota holding back on low/midrange boost, they are so conservative it's annoying.
Old 02-09-23, 10:23 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think it absolutely will. I don't see a world in which the Highlander will continue unscathed with this alongside it. Again, depends on how much of a premium Toyota is looking to slap on the Grand. But I could easily see this overtaking regular Highlander. Not to the extent that 4 door Wrangler decimated 2-door sales.

As the saying goes..

I doubt the regular HL will lose any sales or meaningfully less. Not everyone needs a supersized SUV. Toyota will recapture the buyers that left the HL when they outgrew it and the Sequoia is just too much vehicle for them. Now Toyota can keep buyers in the family, from youngns in the GR86, moving to RAV4 to HL then GHL or Sienna.
Old 02-09-23, 12:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
If it's custom for us then there is no need for the normal highlander, looking at the overall length I would never pick the normal one. 5 inches doesn't change the car much at all in this class of vehicle, there is less difference there than I have between some of my cars
I think it is awesome that you decided how most sold large CUV in USA is not needed anymore. Because of course, you would never buy it.
Old 02-09-23, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Once this comes out it would be a good time for Toyota to allow for a 3rd row delete on the standard Highlander. This would fill the gap for those who only need 2 rows but want/need something bigger than a RAV-4, but not wanting a BOF vehicle like a 4Runner.
They have the Venza...where does that fit in?

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
4cyl in a 3row SUV is a joke and it has a lovely CVT to add to the laughter.
Only the regular hybrid has the CVT. The 2.5LT is a normal trans as is the MaxHybrid.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think it is awesome that you decided how most sold large CUV in USA is not needed anymore. Because of course, you would never buy it.
Its been the most sold CUV without this vehicle being here. I agree that the two are redundant, whats the point of having 2 3 row crossovers within 5 inches of each other in length? D/C the regular Highlander and sell this as the Highlander, and it will dominate even more.

0-60 in this class means nothing. This is all about people hauling and economy, even if the MaxHybrid is no faster than other entires with less power, it will be dramatically more fuel efficient.
Old 02-09-23, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have the Venza...where does that fit in?

Only the regular hybrid has the CVT. The 2.5LT is a normal trans as is the MaxHybrid.

Its been the most sold CUV without this vehicle being here. I agree that the two are redundant, whats the point of having 2 3 row crossovers within 5 inches of each other in length? D/C the regular Highlander and sell this as the Highlander, and it will dominate even more.

0-60 in this class means nothing. This is all about people hauling and economy, even if the MaxHybrid is no faster than other entires with less power, it will be dramatically more fuel efficient.
How can you not see there is a market for both version?
Old 02-09-23, 01:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I must be hopelessly out of touch I find the styling of this behemoth offensive. It is form over function to the extreme the giant grille and jacked up hood line are there because.....I don't know. What is this look supposed to convey?
like the rav4, the look is designed to convey fake ruggedness so people can buy one and feel "outdoorsy" as they drive to starbucks. the bulldog front, the squared off everywhere else. it does nothing for me.

Originally Posted by gor134
Slightly bigger? It's already longer and wider than the Palisade, let alone the Santa Fe. These 0-60 numbers are completely fine for a car of this mass. It likely has over 700-900lbs on your Santa Fe too.
interesting. looking forward to reviews (i know they're out, i just haven't had time or much interest to watch).

0-60 in this class means nothing. This is all about people hauling and economy, even if the MaxHybrid is no faster than other entires with less power, it will be dramatically more fuel efficient. expensive
fixed that for you.
Old 02-09-23, 01:26 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current highlander outsells the Korean twins (Kia Telluride and Palisade put together) and Honda Pilot quite easily. Grand highlander is going to extend the lead even further. The packaging, looks and powertrain options are spot on for the average consumer this is going to be a home run in my view.
Old 02-09-23, 01:32 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
The current highlander outsells the Korean twins (Kia Telluride and Palisade put together) and Honda Pilot quite easily. Grand highlander is going to extend the lead even further. The packaging, looks and powertrain options are spot on for the average consumer this is going to be a home run in my view.
The Telluride and Palisade were production-constrained even before the pandemic. But yes in general I agree Toyota is going to be enjoying major sales with this car.
Old 02-09-23, 01:36 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

for 365hp that's terrible.
and a little over 4000lbs yes, terrible. But their buyers may not care much about the fastness.
Old 02-09-23, 01:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed that for you.
Originally Posted by 1111GS
and a little over 4000lbs yes, terrible. But their buyers may not care much about the fastness.
The Grand Cherokee L V8 does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, and gets 14 city and 22 highway. The Grand Highlander MaxHybrid does 0-60 in 6.1 seconds and that powerplant in the RX500h gets 27 city, 28 hwy.

So, it does 0-60 faster than a V8 Grand Cherokee L, gets 93% better fuel economy in the city and 27% better fuel economy on the highway, and thats not impressive? On top of that, its larger inside and likely will be cheaper.

6.1 0-60 is best in class I am pretty sure.
Old 02-09-23, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I love a V8...but TWICE the fuel economy in the city and faster to 60? Hard to choose the V8.
Old 02-09-23, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i watched soyfan's (redline) review. he called it a supersized rav4.

maybe because it was a pre-production one but it looked SUPER cheap inside, especially the 2nd/3rd rows.
Old 02-09-23, 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I love a V8...but TWICE the fuel economy in the city and faster to 60? Hard to choose the V8.
well i think you come at it from 2 angles... you wouldn't necessarily get rid of the v8 in your s-class, but you're likely all about fuel economy for the family mobile (van). ?

Quick Reply: Grand Highlander pics, videos and reviews