Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Grand Highlander pics, videos and reviews

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 04:27 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tritonal
Why are some people so hung up on the 0-60 times on a family hauler anyways? Shouldn't you care more about how it accelerates when merging onto the highway or how the power is like for city driving? If all you want to do is drag race other cars at red lights, just get an Escalade V or something like that lol

The Hybrid Max will be just fine for everyday use... I bet its much more useable than the V6 b/c of the low end torque from the three electric motors, while the turbo fills in the gaps everywhere else. Will it be as smooth? Probably not...
as i said this may not be an important factor for its buyers but when someone says this is superior, then it’s debatable. that aside, imo family hauler or not, how it gets up is very important, freeway merging or fast reaction in fast heavy traffic. You don’t think so? Take the gle350 for example. It’s an excellent family cruiser but many still turn it down for a 450 or similar because of the same thing. RX/GX/LX are all excellent family haulers too. But I’m sure owners were in situation that they wished the suvs would react more quickly.
Old 02-10-23, 04:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
as i said this may not be an important factor for its buyers but when someone says this is superior, then it’s debatable. that aside, imo family hauler or not, how it gets up is very important, freeway merging or fast reaction in fast heavy traffic. You don’t think so? Take the gle350 for example. It’s an excellent family cruiser but many still turn it down for a 450 or similar because of the same thing. RX/GX/LX are all excellent family haulers too. But I’m sure owners were in situation that they wished the suvs would react more quickly.
6-7 secs is fine for a family hauler. Or even 6-8sec
Old 02-10-23, 06:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
pretty sure hybrid will actually react way better than its 0-60 result, because of the instant torque from electric motors.
As we know by now, passing times for hybrids are always way better than their 0-60 times vs competition.

And right now in this thread, it is just Motorola trying to prove, once again, a bad point. Nothing new in the world.
Old 02-10-23, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Again, there is no 2.5l turbo hybrid with 3 electric motors and a CVT. Unless they developed something specifically for the grand highlander, it should be the same options as the, say, crown crossover - either a 6at 2.4t with a rear e-axle (making it "AWD") or a classic eCVT 2.5na.
The Grand Highlander has the Max Hybrid used in the RX500h F Sport Performance, it is the 2.4L turbo 4 mated to a 6AT and two electric motors, not just one, one in the front and one in the rear. The regular 2.5L non turbo hybrid with the eCVT is also available as is the 2/4L turbo/6AT with no hybrid.
Old 02-10-23, 06:52 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 188 Posts

Check post #116 re: the 3 motors (an eCVT + a rear e-axle is, actually, a 3-motor configuration). There was also a mention (or several) of a 2.5t, a 2.4t with a CVT and so on.
Old 02-10-23, 06:56 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I hope Toyota has crap tons of sound deadening and NVH deadening built in. All the powertrain options are quite buzzy, loud and dare I say crude?
Old 02-10-23, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Check post #116 re: the 3 motors (an eCVT + a rear e-axle is, actually, a 3-motor configuration). There was also a mention (or several) of a 2.5t, a 2.4t with a CVT and so on.
It was just a mistake, the hybrid max has two motors and a 6 speed auto.
Old 02-10-23, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
I hope Toyota has crap tons of sound deadening and NVH deadening built in. All the powertrain options are quite buzzy, loud and dare I say crude?
Have you driven the RX500h F Sport Performance? Thats a totally different engine than the 2.5L hybrid.
Old 02-10-23, 07:02 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It was just a mistake, the hybrid max has two motors and a 6 speed auto.
The Hybrid Max model has more than enough power and performance, regardless of what the setup is. The issue is how refined are these engines and as Kirk and David from the Youtubes admitted during the livestream reveal of the GH, the 2.4t is simply unrefined, even when compared to the old 2.0t and that engine was a piece of turd already.
Old 02-10-23, 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Hybrid Max model has more than enough power and performance, regardless of what the setup is. The issue is how refined are these engines and as Kirk and David from the Youtubes admitted during the livestream reveal of the GH, the 2.4t is simply unrefined, even when compared to the old 2.0t and that engine was a piece of turd already.
I haven't driven one...but in this application I think the refinement is not as important as the combination of performance and fuel economy. In something like the RX500h its different.
Old 02-10-23, 07:11 AM
situman
Pole Position

I haven't driven one...but in this application I think the refinement is not as important as the combination of performance and fuel economy. In something like the RX500h its different.
I'm guessing this thing might top out at $70k and at that price, I want refinement. I dont need the engine screaming and buzzing at me after paying a hefty price. I can get that for free with young kids.
Old 02-10-23, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm guessing this thing might top out at $70k and at that price, I want refinement. I dont need the engine screaming and buzzing at me after paying a hefty price. I can get that for free with young kids.
Its not going to be $70k. If it is Toyota is totally out of their minds. In that case, you have options, you have Mazda with the inline 6, you have Ford with the V6 and you have Jeep with the Hemi/Soon to be inline 6 but you will trade a huge amount of fuel economy.

The GH is not a vehicle for an enthusiast, its a family hauler for a well heeled family that wants space, reliability, decent technology and good fuel economy. Its a vehicle for someone like my wife. She drove a horrible Prius for 7 years and loved it. For you and me, those other vehicles are going to be a lot more attractive.

In any event, saying that these 4 cyls are going to have engines screaming and buzzing is way dramatic. Maybe if you are driving it around at WOT all the time, but you won't be. In normal driving they feel and sound fine.

Look how popular the GLE350 is. That engine is terrible in that application, and lots of people running around in those they think they are real special in.
Old 02-10-23, 07:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe because it was a pre-production one but it looked SUPER cheap inside, especially the 2nd/3rd rows.
I agree, but I don't think it matters. The Sienna is filled with cheap plastic and no one says anything.

Yeah the materials we will have to see, I think the Hyundai twins still feel more upscale, but the materials are pretty good in the Highlander, could be preproduction materials.
Wow. I actually thought the rental mid-spec Highlander I had last year felt very cheap inside. I was shocked at how much scratchy gray hard plastic filled the interior.
Old 02-10-23, 08:15 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Lol the center console is unlively with just another large screen slapped on. Absolute snoozefest.
"Snoozefest" is Toyota's middle name.....
Old 02-10-23, 08:27 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you guys mean when you say ''refined"?

Quick Reply: Grand Highlander pics, videos and reviews