Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW Atlas heavily refreshed for 2024...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
You're making it sound like you need to watch it every 5 seconds while driving. I can assure you that, while you are indeed a good 7 or 8 years older than me (I'm willing to bet that despite the age difference, we're pretty close in miles driven), I'm here to tell you that there is no reason to stare at the screen constantly for directions.

I've driven in many busy interchanges while trying to find something or to just get to my destination. While I've never used a navigation screen in my life (other than playing around for a few seconds here and there looking at cars at a dealer), I can imagine that if I did have one, I wouldn't feel the need to have to watch it while traveling. There is just no need. Glancing at it sparingly while paying attention to road signs (and realizing that one does not have to rely on some electronic map service so they need to learn to commit directions to memory) is all anyone needs with their navigation screen.

So no... I don't agree that the screen needs to be higher up and made to look like some cheap tablet was plopped on the dash. It looks hideous and terrible.
When did I say you needed to stare at the screen? Looking at or glancing at a screen placed higher up keeps you from having to take your eyes off the road for as long as looking down at a screen lower in the dash. Thats just common sense.

I realize that you are a technophobe, but I am firmly of the opinion that navigation makes cars safer, because it lets people focus more on driving than on fumbling for directions or trying to figure out where to turn, which ramp to take, etc. You may only drive where you are accustomed to driving, but I travel and am often in places that I have never been or that I seldom am in, and you're going to need directions...

The design doesn't have to be tacked on, but I much prefer screens up high in the dash. My S560 and my LS460s are good examples of high placement integrated screens

Old 02-20-23, 01:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I realize that you are a technophobe, but I am firmly of the opinion that navigation makes cars safer, because it lets people focus more on driving than on fumbling for directions or trying to figure out where to turn, which ramp to take, etc. You may only drive where you are accustomed to driving, but I travel and am often in places that I have never been or that I seldom am in, and you're going to need directions...
I don't know how you can say that. It was much safer when I had to read printed directions, and try and look at a printed map while driving....at night....with no passenger....and trying to read tiny street signs.... #NoDistractions.....
Old 02-20-23, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't know how you can say that. It was much safer when I had to read printed directions, and try and look at a printed map while driving....at night....with no passenger....and trying to read tiny street signs.... #NoDistractions.....
Exactly, so much better!

Old 02-20-23, 01:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

regardless, nav's TALK the directions, so you don't need to look at it at all once under way.
my cars have HUDs too with directions, plus can put in gauge cluster.
#noreasontogetlostordistracted
Old 02-20-23, 02:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Good one. Be sure to have the overhead dome light turned on too.
Old 02-20-23, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
regardless, nav's TALK the directions, so you don't need to look at it at all once under way.
my cars have HUDs too with directions, plus can put in gauge cluster.
#noreasontogetlostordistracted
I never use the voice directions, I prefer to just look at the visual prompts
Old 02-20-23, 02:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Exactly, so much better!

I love how this road map is worn and torn right on the fold. The folds were the first to go on those things. My wife will still grab a road map if we stop in a rest area that has them for that particular state. I always kid her because they never ever get opened, ever. Old habits die hard.
Old 02-20-23, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I love how this road map is worn and torn right on the fold. The folds were the first to go on those things. My wife will still grab a road map if we stop in a rest area that has them for that particular state. I always kid her because they never ever get opened, ever. Old habits die hard.
But she MIGHT NEED IT some day lol
Old 02-20-23, 03:09 PM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Full length headlights and taillights look a little tacky. Which is crazy because I use to like them lol.
Old 02-20-23, 03:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Yeah, like if the world turns into The Last of Us.....
Old 02-20-23, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Yeah, and if she ever does, she'll waste no time in reminding me that I didn't think it was necessary lol. I don't think it will though.
Old 02-20-23, 03:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Good one. Be sure to have the overhead dome light turned on too.
Almost forgot.......
Old 02-20-23, 05:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, and if she ever does, she'll waste no time in reminding me that I didn't think it was necessary lol. I don't think it will though.
Yep, for sure!
Old 02-20-23, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

i have thousands of screws, bolts, washers, fasteners, bits of old wood etc., taking up loads of space. once a year or so i find the 'perfect thing' among that lot for a project or fixing something and say "see? SEE? THAT's why i keep all that crap"

i'm getting closer to putting it all in a giant bag/box and getting rid of all of it.
Old 02-20-23, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have thousands of screws, bolts, washers, fasteners, bits of old wood etc., taking up loads of space. once a year or so i find the 'perfect thing' among that lot for a project or fixing something and say "see? SEE? THAT's why i keep all that crap"

i'm getting closer to putting it all in a giant bag/box and getting rid of all of it.
My wife has bins full of "Steve Crap" that she puts all of it in and puts them in the basement under the workbench lol. If you need a charger for your Blackberry or your Camcorder I probably have one lol

Quick Reply: VW Atlas heavily refreshed for 2024...