Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW Atlas heavily refreshed for 2024...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 09:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Haha. A bin full of crap with your name on it. Smart wife you’ve got.
Old 02-20-23, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My wife has bins full of "Steve Crap" that she puts all of it in and puts them in the basement under the workbench lol. If you need a charger for your Blackberry or your Camcorder I probably have one lol
haha... i do flush out old chargers, cables, etc., every now and then.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Haha. A bin full of crap with your name on it.
and i think that's typically how a car like the vw atlas is used. see how i brought it back around?
Old 02-21-23, 12:21 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

When did I say you needed to stare at the screen? Looking at or glancing at a screen placed higher up keeps you from having to take your eyes off the road for as long as looking down at a screen lower in the dash. Thats just common sense.

I realize that you are a technophobe, but I am firmly of the opinion that navigation makes cars safer, because it lets people focus more on driving than on fumbling for directions or trying to figure out where to turn, which ramp to take, etc. You may only drive where you are accustomed to driving, but I travel and am often in places that I have never been or that I seldom am in, and you're going to need directions...

The design doesn't have to be tacked on, but I much prefer screens up high in the dash. My S560 and my LS460s are good examples of high placement integrated screens

I disagree with the navigation talk. I've driven through many places big and small without needing to rely on it. It seems like a major hassle.

Maryland is a pretty small state. You should know where most everything is by now and how to navigate those interchanges and cities.
Old 02-21-23, 11:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I disagree with the navigation talk. I've driven through many places big and small without needing to rely on it. It seems like a major hassle.

Maryland is a pretty small state. You should know where most everything is by now and how to navigate those interchanges and cities.
LOL. No I do not have every road memorized in the entire state of Maryland...and people travel outside of the state where they live also. I just spent 5 days in central FL, should I memorize all of those roads too? Thats absurd. MD has thousands of miles of roads, 23 counties, 528 cities. How can you say with a straight face I should know how to navigate all of that with no assistance? The other point is, why would I want to waste the energy or mental space to even try when my navigation system will tell me how to get everywhere I want to go? I have more important things to think about.

I dont see how having a navigation system literally telling you where to turn and how to get anywhere that you want to go can be a "major hassle"...

Even when I know where I'm going I have a destination set in the navigation. Why? Because it gives me an ETA, and it lets me know of traffic incidents and reroutes available along my route. If I want to stop to get gas or something to eat I push a button and I know what the closest places are, etc. Its a huge convenience.
Old 02-21-23, 11:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL. No I do not have every road memorized in the entire state of Maryland...and people travel outside of the state where they live also. I just spent 5 days in central FL, should I memorize all of those roads too? Thats absurd. MD has thousands of miles of roads, 23 counties, 528 cities. How can you say with a straight face I should know how to navigate all of that with no assistance? The other point is, why would I want to waste the energy or mental space to even try when my navigation system will tell me how to get everywhere I want to go? I have more important things to think about.

I dont see how having a navigation system literally telling you where to turn and how to get anywhere that you want to go can be a "major hassle"...

Even when I know where I'm going I have a destination set in the navigation. Why? Because it gives me an ETA, and it lets me know of traffic incidents and reroutes available along my route. If I want to stop to get gas or something to eat I push a button and I know what the closest places are, etc. Its a huge convenience.
90% of the time, I'm using GPS for traffic data (which, guess what, I don't have memorized!), not because I don't know how to get where I'm going. Sure -- those tech fearing folks could just listen to "Traffic on the 2s", but guess what? That's pretty dang inaccurate too!
Old 02-21-23, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
90% of the time, I'm using GPS for traffic data (which, guess what, I don't have memorized!), not because I don't know how to get where I'm going. Sure -- those tech fearing folks could just listen to "Traffic on the 2s", but guess what? That's pretty dang inaccurate too!
Exactly....and even when I'm not using the navigation I leave the map up, I like being able to see whats around me.

I just dont understand the aversion to technology. Its one thing to not really care about having tech you've never had or don't see a need for, but to so actively hate any technology is just very strange...like why would having your car tell you that you have low tire pressure make you angry?!
Old 02-21-23, 12:14 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Exactly....and even when I'm not using the navigation I leave the map up, I like being able to see whats around me.

I just dont understand the aversion to technology. Its one thing to not really care about having tech you've never had or don't see a need for, but to so actively hate any technology is just very strange...like why would having your car tell you that you have low tire pressure make you angry?!
Maybe they don't hate but just want to make the opposite point for the heck of discussion. Lol. My wife, as most usual wives, does not have a clue how to check tire pressure or even looks at the tires, called me the other day saying she got a low tire alert when turning the car on. I checked the app on my phone to confirm the reading she was seeing. I told her not to drive because that was too low and most likely had a large nail. How can one not like that? Sure, we can all live without all these crazy tech's but why not enjoy them for what they are? There are certainly some non sense tech's but most are very helpful IMO.
Old 02-21-23, 12:33 PM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Having the screen up like that in the sightline makes using it much safer, IMO. Thats the one benefit.
I think this is a nice improvement from previous one. I like it this way too. All my Lexus screens were OK but a bit higher and angle towards the driver make a huge difference. Many are coming out like this now. I don't watch while driving () but sometimes I just have some musical 2.39:1 on for the heck of it. Lol.
Old 02-21-23, 01:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Knock off the personal commentary and tech rants.
Old 02-21-23, 01:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

absolutely. and it's not a 'huge hassle' to set destinations either. i can use voice to do so on both my vehicles, and it works great, and i'm not just talking about an address. i need to go to businesses, and i just say the name, and maybe the town, and it takes me there. the huge hassle would NOT be using the feature.

anyway, we're back to old vs new.

here's edmunds take:
https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/atlas/2024/

and forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/wheels/news/f...kswagen-atlas/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-21-23 at 01:17 PM.