Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car features gone away

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 06:07 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

What about manual switch for air circulation? Is it in the video? While it's manual, it gives you full control over, unlike some nice modern cars, they control for you. Lol
Old 02-11-23, 06:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

(about non-boring colors):
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wake me up when those hues are available on Camrys and Accords.
neither you nor anyone else has interest in a yellow camry.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In Los Angeles, circa 1987, there was this kid who brought his mom's Maxima to school with automatic seatbelts and a talking voice. An invite-only demo was made after school, and COOLNESS was achieve. Yes, great memories and my claim to fame.
ha, good times!

Originally Posted by patgilm
I had a 93 300ZXTT with T-tops and thought it was awesome until I got my 94 SupraTT with a targa top. I still love targa tops above all else.
a targa is one piece removable vs two? doesn't seem like a huge improvement.

I had an 85 200SX turbo and it had a talking voice. I thought it was the coolest thing back then and so futuristic. I even installed an alarm that talked too. It was all cool at first and then just became annoying. Glad they did away with it.
like so much tech that's a novelty.
Old 02-11-23, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I miss when cars actually had real windows, trucks were bought only for hauling/towing things, when you had good old fashioned buttons instead of the pissing contest that has become trying to place the biggest, newest screen on top of the dash, and another one that doesn't get talked about much: covered cupholders. When I'm driving, I don't want to see two big gaping holes in the middle of my car. It looks very cheap and unsightly.
I'm almost 42 and I don't remember a time when people ONLY bought trucks for hauling things...

I agree on the covered cupholders in high end cars...but I remember when we had cars that had NO cupholders...

Originally Posted by Striker223
Buy a higher end car? That's something that only high spec cars usually bother with....
Even in higher end cars more and more you see uncovered cupholders.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
(about non-boring colors):

neither you nor anyone else has interest in a yellow camry.
I mean, you can get a Camry with a red interior! Thats pretty cool and unusual...

Like you said, if people wanted yellow Camrys they would make yellow Camrys lol
Old 02-11-23, 06:31 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I like to smoke something
Tsk tsk tsk....

Each to his (or her) own, but I prefer to save my lungs.
What Jill is possibly talking about doesn't damage your lungs.

None of my cars lack these, but BUTTONS is what I would miss the most. I don't even live where it gets truly cold but where it does I imagine it's a pretty big PITA with huge heavy duty gloves on to fiddle with a screen as opposed to nice buttons and chunky ***** you can easily use with heavy winter gear on.
Old 02-11-23, 06:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
What Jill is possibly talking about doesn't damage your lungs.
It does, anything you smoke damages your lungs.

None of my cars lack these, but BUTTONS is what I would miss the most. I don't even live where it gets truly cold but where it does I imagine it's a pretty big PITA with huge heavy duty gloves on to fiddle with a screen as opposed to nice buttons and chunky ***** you can easily use with heavy winter gear on.
It depends on what the buttons are for. There are lots of controls that having them in the screen is fine, some controls should just be buttons though, and buttons should be BUTTONS, and not touch sensitive controls which just don't work as well.
Old 02-11-23, 06:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It does, anything you smoke damages your lungs.

It depends on what the buttons are for. There are lots of controls that having them in the screen is fine, some controls should just be buttons though, and buttons should be BUTTONS, and not touch sensitive controls which just don't work as well.
I know nobody nor ever heard of anyone, ever, who ever picked up a chronic lung disease like emphysema or lung cancer from smoking what that might be. Research backs up my claim.

This isn't medical talk though.

What needs to be a big button are auto/temp controls and volume. Seat heaters. Stereo stuff you can customize etc and I don't mind screens for that. I just know it doesn't even get cold here and I get cold, I can't imagine way up there. I haven't worn gloves since the last time it really really snowed here in 2011 lol.
Old 02-11-23, 06:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I know nobody nor ever heard of anyone, ever, who ever picked up a chronic lung disease like emphysema or lung cancer from smoking what that might be. Research backs up my claim.

This isn't medical talk though.
That doesn't mean it doesn't damage your lungs, and usually its not smoked at the same quantity as cigarettes where people smoke 2-3 packs of them a day. Its just common sense, when you inhale burning anything into your lungs its not good for your lungs. I smoke cigars here and there, but smoking cigars is not good for you...

What needs to be a big button are auto/temp controls and volume. Seat heaters. Stereo stuff you can customize etc and I don't mind screens for that. I just know it doesn't even get cold here and I get cold, I can't imagine way up there. I haven't worn gloves since the last time it really really snowed here in 2011 lol.
My cars are garaged, so they don't get cold, but it never gets so cold that I cant just take my gloves off and work a screen and put them back on. I rarely wear gloves either.
Old 02-11-23, 07:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My cars are garaged, so they don't get cold, but it never gets so cold that I cant just take my gloves off and work a screen and put them back on. I rarely wear gloves either.
Right. Up north where my inlaws live in NY state EVERYONE wears HD stuff because winters are horrendous. Virtually everyone has remote start, at least the people I know.
Old 02-11-23, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm almost 42 and I don't remember a time when people ONLY bought trucks for hauling things...'
I can......but it was a couple of decades before your time, essentially in the 1960s. Pickup trucks were essentially work-trucks, often with bare-metal or rubberized floors, no carpets, no-frills, and minimal driver/passenger conveniences. They rode like s***, and had the noise level of the interior of a drum.

That began to change in the early-mid-1970s, when the emissions regs and other factors forced the classic American muscle-cars off the market. Many Baby-Boomers who had previously driven these muscle-cars found a new interest in customized RWD truck-based vans....before that, vans had also been sold starkly-equipped as mostly work-vehicles. Aftermarket-Customized full-size Ford Econoline, Chevy Beauville, and Dodge Sportsman vans became the new rage...until, of course, the first car-based Chrysler minivans hit the scene in 1984.......which started a new craze for Baby Boomers who, by then, had families.
Old 02-11-23, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I can......but it was a couple of decades before your time, essentially in the 1960s. Pickup trucks were essentially work-trucks, often with bare-metal or rubberized floors, no carpets, no-frills, and minimal driver/passenger conveniences.

That began to change in the early-mid-1970s, when the emissions regs forced the classic American muscle-cars off the market. Many Baby-Boomers who had driven these muscle-cars found a new interest in customized RWD truck-based vans....before that, vans had also been sold starkly-equipped as mostly work-vehicles. Aftermarket-Customized full-size Ford Econoline, Chevy Beauville, and Dodge Sportsman vans became the new rage...until, of course, the first car-based Chrysler minivans hit the scene in 1984.......which started a new craze for Baby Boomers who, by then, had families.
That was my point, I'm older than he is. I understand that there was once such a time.
Old 02-11-23, 10:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
]
I had an 85 200SX turbo and it had a talking voice. I thought it was the coolest thing back then and so futuristic. I even installed an alarm that talked too. It was all cool at first and then just became annoying. Glad they did away with it.
You do know that a literal mini record player provided that voice, right? Pretty cool 80s stuff.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/bu...arning-system/
Old 02-11-23, 10:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Ahhh, big one. I miss seat belt chimes that shut the eff up.. In the LS the light never turns off, in LX a chime will horrendously sound for about 30 seconds, and in the Benz there's just a seat belt like that turns on and off when you start it with the other warning lights. Hah.
Old 02-11-23, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ahhh, big one. I miss seat belt chimes that shut the eff up.. In the LS the light never turns off, in LX a chime will horrendously sound for about 30 seconds, and in the Benz there's just a seat belt like that turns on and off when you start it with the other warning lights. Hah.
You can turn the chimes off.
Old 02-11-23, 11:55 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

All my cars I ever had stopped after about 15 seconds. The only one that didn't was the 15 Accord. It would beep 5 times every so often. I tested it by driving 45 minutes without the seat belt and nope, wouldn't turn off. Some didn't even beep at all, which was pretty nice. Check the mail (they love to place the mail in the very back of the mailbox, requiring me to take my belt off), have to move the car for whatever reason and you go above 5, you hear the annoying chime. More "safety" nonsense.
Old 02-11-23, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Do you guys really drive around without your seatbelts on?

Quick Reply: car features gone away