Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car features gone away

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 12:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I hope not....
Old 02-11-23, 12:36 PM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can turn the chimes off.
Yeah but I'd rather leave it on. Sometimes we forget about the seatbelt and it's a good reminder. Does yours alert when a rear passenger unbuckle and pin point to the exact one that did? I think it's a nice feature if one has small ones in the back.
Old 02-11-23, 12:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yeah but I'd rather leave it on. Sometimes we forget about the seatbelt and it's a good reminder. Does yours alert when a rear passenger unbuckle and pin point to the exact one that did? I think it's a nice feature if one has small ones in the back.
In the very least since I always wear a seatbelt I never hear the chime...

Yep it lets me know if someone in the back unbuckles...
Old 02-11-23, 01:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Dealer scan tool?

And yes I do use my seatbelt, the LX is so annoying that it makes me so I’m glad it’s there. Just after surgeries it’s a hard stretch sometimes.

Old 02-11-23, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I know nobody nor ever heard of anyone, ever, who ever picked up a chronic lung disease like emphysema or lung cancer from smoking what that might be.
My late father died from lung cancer, which the doctors attributed to decades of smoking World-War II-era unfiltered cigarettes. My office lost two employees from cancer the doctors attributed to chronic marijuana smoking. I could go on and on, but as you point out, this is not the thread for it. Enough said.

Do you guys really drive around without your seatbelts on?
Originally Posted by Striker223
I hope not....

Agreed. Seat belts, in some ways, are actually more important than airbags. The bags were basically designed to be used in conjunction with the belts. The belts are the primary system of restraint in a frontal-collision, while the bags are considered secondary. In a side-impact, of course, the bags are the primary system, but the belts, of course, still help hold you in place.

Source:
​​​​​​​https://autotrends.org/primary-vs-se...raint-systems/

Old 02-11-23, 09:38 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you have trouble with the T-Top? One reason they were discontinued is that they compromised the roof-integrity of the vehicle too much, which could lead to leaks and squeaks/rattles, particularly in those days, before the frames had the rigidity they do today.
I don't remember ever taking them off.
At the time I was young and rented a condo on a golf course with nowhere to store them so they pretty much just stayed on all the time.

The car was also black in color and a real son of a gun to keep looking clean and that was another inconvenience living on a condo so I spent some time at the car wash. lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
hood gas struts failing? when was the last time you heard of or experienced this?
Where you been bitkahuna? lol
Yeah, they sell the replacements by the millions, a common stock part at the local auto part stores.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In Los Angeles, circa 1987, there was this kid who brought his mom's Maxima to school with automatic seatbelts and a talking voice. An invite-only demo was made after school, and COOLNESS was achieve. Yes, great memories and my claim to fame.
Funny! lol

Originally Posted by 1111GS
What about manual switch for air circulation? Is it in the video? While it's manual, it gives you full control over, unlike some nice modern cars, they control for you. Lol
Yeah, I want to be the one controlling the AC and heat
My car has the "Auto" feature but I don't use it.

I yanked out the chime on my car in the 1st month of ownership cuz I like to hook up a scanner with an extension so I can watch the scanner from under the hood and don't have to listen to the seat belt chime driving me crazy.

And I always wear my seat belt for the record for anyone wondering.
Being in my 50's I'm not made of concrete like I was in my younger years so I worry a lot more about getting hurt.
Old 02-11-23, 09:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I had to replace the struts on the rear hatch of our Corolla Matrix.
Old 02-11-23, 10:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
You do know that a literal mini record player provided that voice, right? Pretty cool 80s stuff.

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/bu...arning-system/
Wow I had no idea!
Old 02-11-23, 11:06 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you guys really drive around without your seatbelts on?
I use my belt, but that one time I was really curious to see if the chime would go off. Eventually I put it on after realizing it still went on after 45 minutes.

My mom never wore her seat belt when she was driving us around growing up. She was born in 53 though, so that helps explain things. That generation had a lot of folks that didn't wear belts, even when it became law.
Old 02-12-23, 05:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had to replace the struts on the rear hatch of our Corolla Matrix.
how old was the matrix at that point?
Old 02-12-23, 06:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

10 years or maybe 11
Old 02-12-23, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Old. They do fail but it’s 5+ probably more like 10 years. Hood struts are gone in my ES300 but it’s 20 years old (been gone a long time), hood struts we’re gone on my Explorer on the hood and the hatch, but it was also really old.

Just not something that’s a big deal. New struts are cheap too, just never got around to replacing them.
Old 02-12-23, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Just not something that’s a big deal. New struts are cheap too, just never got around to replacing them.
I agree it is not an expensive repair, but, just the same, the large heavy-duty built-in underhood springs that held up the hoods on the cars I grew with in the 1960s and 70s almost never wore out or needed replacement.

I remember that my 2006 Subaru Outback had rear gas struts for the hatch-lid that got weak after only a couple of years...but I don't remember if I replaced them or not. Personally, I think that the general reliability of Subaru vehicles of that vintage was overrated, (mine had several issues in the first 40K miles, including a failed engine cooling-fan) although their full-time AWD system was second to none, and would literally get you through almost anything, even with all season tires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-23 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-12-23, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree it is not an expensive repair, but, just the same, the large heavy-duty built-in underhood springs that held up the hoods on the cars I grew with in the 1960s and 70s almost never wore out or needed replacement.
But those mechanisms are huge and heavy, they just don't make any sense in a modern vehicle.

I remember that my 2006 Subaru Outback had rear gas struts for the hatch-lid that got weak after a couple of years...but I only remember if I had them replaced or not. Personally, I think that the general reliability of Subaru vehicles of that vintage was overrated, although their full-time AWD system was second to none.
They were crappy struts. Modern struts last many years.
Old 02-12-23, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But those mechanisms are huge and heavy, they just don't make any sense in a modern vehicle.

They were crappy struts. Modern struts last many years.
Hood struts in my 04 4R are 19 years old. They work, still. But in cold weather, sometimes don’t hold as well. They drop down a few inches.

Quick Reply: car features gone away