Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

car features gone away

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-23, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hood struts in my 04 4R are 19 years old. They work, still. But in cold weather, sometimes don’t hold as well. They drop down a few inches

That;s interesting .........usually, it's the opposite. The warmer the temperature, the the thinner the hydraulic fluid in the struts gets, and the more likely they are likely to sag and not be able to hold up the weight of the lid.
Old 02-12-23, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,515 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree it is not an expensive repair, but, just the same, the large heavy-duty built-in underhood springs that held up the hoods on the cars I grew with in the 1960s and 70s almost never wore out or needed replacement.
ok, well that's 6 decades ago and not relevant to today.
Old 02-12-23, 07:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Hood struts in my 04 4R are 19 years old. They work, still. But in cold weather, sometimes don’t hold as well. They drop down a few inches.
Thats great! Mine in the ES don't hold at all, I have a 2x4 lol

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok, well that's 6 decades ago and not relevant to today.
LOL, right?
Old 02-12-23, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

That;s interesting .........usually, it's the opposite. The warmer the temperature, the the thinner the hydraulic fluid in the struts gets, and the more likely they are likely to sag and not be able to hold up the weight of the lid.
you should experience very cold weather. On a consistent basis. Like when it’s 0F for 5 days, parts like doors on my old suv start to make creeping noises..the steering is very heavy till warmed.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats great! Mine in the ES don't hold at all, I have a 2x4 lol

LOL, right?
honestly. I don’t mind a hood prop. But more expensive stuff definitely needs some struts.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-12-23 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-12-23, 07:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

honestly. I don’t mind a hoot prop. But more expensive stuff definitely needs some struts.
Me neither...Pacifica has a hood prop and its fine
Old 02-12-23, 09:10 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Do you guys really drive around without your seatbelts on?
I learned the cheat code to turn off the seatbelt alarm in my 07 IS right here on CL because of members who refused to wear a seatbelt....
Old 02-12-23, 09:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Amazon has clips you can plug into the belt receptacles to defeat using your belts
Old 02-12-23, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

you should experience very cold weather. On a consistent basis. Like when it’s 0F for 5 days, parts like doors on my old suv start to make creeping noises..the steering is very heavy till warmed.
Well, obviously, it doesn't get as cold here in D.C. as your part of the country in upper NY State and Toronto. The worst we see, during an average winter, is around 5-10 degrees in the suburbs....10 to 20 in the city.

And, yes, your steering is heavy when very cold for the same reason, prticulatory if you have any hydraulic fluid in the system.....the fluid gets thicker, and it is harder to turn the steering wheel,

honestly. I don’t mind a hood prop. But more expensive stuff definitely needs some struts.

Yes, my Encore GX has a prop. Buick apparantly did a little cost cutting there to make up for the nice interior and good sound insulation.
Old 02-12-23, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Amazon has clips you can plug into the belt receptacles to defeat using your belts

Some drivers. by nature, refuse to wear their belts...even though it is the law in most states.

Old 02-12-23, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

5-10 is way colder than it gets here in a normal winter.

Personally, if people are dumb enough to not wear seatbelts, then that’s just natural selection at work.
Old 02-12-23, 03:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

No I would agree with her, it's the cold that makes them fail to hold since the gas charge is weaker due to less volume
Old 02-14-23, 11:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

How about added features?

Down in Florida we've always had a large number of senior citizens and they loved the Tennis Ball on the antenna feature.
From what I understand, many did this so they can find their cars easy but now we have key fobs and hit the button to chirp the horn so really not needed anymore. lol

However, without a good reason, I think it's even more tacky to do it for "just because". lol

Old 02-14-23, 11:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's one feature I don't miss from the cars I learned to drive on.......thin-rimmed, hard-plastic steering wheel rims.They were not only uncomfortable to grip, but, inevitably, developed even more uncomfortable sharp-edged cracks in the rim from the plastic constantly expanding/contracting in the sun. So many drivers started using steering wheel covers to make things more comfortable that the manufacturers simply started doing softer vinyl or leather wheels at the factory, saving them the trouble.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-14-23 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 12:23 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

80's Chrysler voice "The door is a jar"... no it isn't, it is a %^&* Door!

Back to Lexus (Club Lexus, remember?) The GX 470's had an altimeter as
one of the functions of the Driver's Information scroll. Not much use here in
flat IL but must of been useful in Colorado or Vermont.
Old 02-19-23, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This, IMO, was one of the most brilliant ideas of all time for families with young children.....the famous Fold-Down child-seats in Chrysler minivans. Instead of fumbling and struggling with aftermarket seats and constantly strapping Junior (and those seats) in and out off the vehicle, Presto.....just fold the seat-cushion down (or leave it down), set Junior in it, buckle up with one or two built-in straps, and you're ready to go.

Quick Reply: car features gone away