Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The dumb drivers thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-23, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It could be a worn hub.
Which was undoubtedly worn prematurely by the wide much larger aftermarket wheels and tires, and would have been discovered if the truck had been regularly serviced and inspected.

Like I said, wheels don't just fall off...you see all these trucks running around with these big wheels and big offsets and it makes you wonder how that impacts safety...I think we see evidence here that it impacts it negatively...

This is the kind of setup we are talking about where much wider than stock wheels are used with a really deep offset so the wheels stick out as much as 12-14 inches from the side of the truck. Just imagine the additional unsprung weight and the leverage that weight has on the hub vs a stock wheel:

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-28-23 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-28-23, 07:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Which was undoubtedly worn prematurely by the wide much larger aftermarket wheels and tires, and would have been discovered if the truck had been regularly serviced and inspected.

Like I said, wheels don't just fall off...you see all these trucks running around with these big wheels and big offsets and it makes you wonder how that impacts safety...I think we see evidence here that it impacts it negatively...

This is the kind of setup we are talking about where much wider than stock wheels are used with a really deep offset so the wheels stick out as much as 12-14 inches from the side of the truck. Just imagine the additional unsprung weight and the leverage that weight has on the hub vs a stock wheel:
a bad wheel hub will do it. But we just don't really know

Old 03-28-23, 07:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think we can make an educated guess that these wide offset wheels contributed to the issue.
Old 03-28-23, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

While the wheel falling off obviously caused this incident (and, as several posters here have noted, could have happened for one of several reasons), I think the greater issue in this thread is not so much the wheel coming off, but the remarkable protection that the Soul's structure, safety features (and maybe some help from above) gave to the driver under brutal circumstances, who walked away with minor injuries. So much for those who like to pan Hyundais and Kias in every post.....I won't mention any names, but they know who they are.
Old 03-28-23, 07:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, amazing that the driver was okay!
Old 03-28-23, 09:10 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Ugh. Cannot stand people.
I do the same thing too, but invariably some huge nasty truck parks right next to me
You are not wrong.

This morning I decided to peak out the window to see if my car was OK because I had some stuff in the trunk. I was freaked out because at first I didn't see the car. I opened my app and saw the car was still located same location. I went to the window on the other side and saw it behind this truck. Wtf you had all these empty spaces and decided to park next to me?! I always park centered so I know I didn't trigger him for sure. The first thing came to mind was maybe he parked there to break in to get my stuff which is kind of unusual for this place. I checked my app again and everything was still locked. So I'm good but still had to peak out once after a bench set to see if anything happened. After 10 minutes I knew it wouldn't be a break in and this
Originally Posted by geko29
When I was younger, I've been known to squeeze myself into that spot on the left (assuming the black Edge/Escape wasn't there), and put my folded mirror 1/2" off their driver's door. Care too much about my cars to do that now though.
came to mind. The next thing came through was if he did this, Should I key him or deflate one of his tires? Then I don't know if that would be a good thing to do because I come here every morning. And he would do something if he found out what happened to his car. It turned out he just wanted "some protection" so he parked next to me. He gave me some good space. Lol.
Originally Posted by xjokerz
For this reason, I will always park far away from the store. Even if it's pouring out. Sick of people's reckless nature by dinging my car and going about their business like nothing happened.
Maybe if I parked farther like the end, I won't have a neighbor. I wonder what these truckers think. The guy didn't seem to want to mess with my car so do they also want "protection"?
Old 03-28-23, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think people actually do that on purpose...
Old 03-28-23, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Wtf you had all these empty spaces and decided to park next to me?!
Unless you actually watched the truck-driver park and walk off, keep in mind that you don't know how many parking-spaces next to, or near your car, were empty at the exact time the truck parked there. You are probably just guessing.
Old 03-28-23, 11:13 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless you actually watched the truck-driver park and walk off, keep in mind that you don't know how many parking-spaces next to, or near your car, were empty at the exact time the truck parked there. You are probably just guessing.
I wasn't guessing. Lol. Does the surrounding agree with your judgement? Maybe you're the one that guessed. This is a gym parking lot at 4:30 in the morning. The parking is about the same when I'm done. Most people park in the rows right in front of the entrance this hour. I come here everyday same time.
Old 03-28-23, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I think people actually do that on purpose...
Yeah. They do it on purpose. My mom actually ticks the paint of a car next to her if that was to happen. I remember as a little kid, she would mess up the passenger side mirror…(back when power mirrors were not so prevalent)

Originally Posted by 1111GS
You are not wrong.

This morning I decided to peak out the window to see if my car was OK because I had some stuff in the trunk. I was freaked out because at first I didn't see the car. I opened my app and saw the car was still located same location. I went to the window on the other side and saw it behind this truck. Wtf you had all these empty spaces and decided to park next to me?! I always park centered so I know I didn't trigger him for sure. The first thing came to mind was maybe he parked there to break in to get my stuff which is kind of unusual for this place. I checked my app again and everything was still locked. So I'm good but still had to peak out once after a bench set to see if anything happened. After 10 minutes I knew it wouldn't be a break in and this

?
People are dumb.
Old 03-28-23, 11:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

I think we can make an educated guess that these wide offset wheels contributed to the issue.
Not a guess that's what happened, wheel spacers stressed the hub to the point of failure.
Old 03-28-23, 12:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, pretty clear
Old 03-28-23, 12:41 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always park my car out where nobody else parks. I always park at an island with the curb on the right hand side. I remember one time, I went to Lowes and I parked in a sub-lot, but not any sub-lot. This was a sub-lot of the sub lot!!. I was the only car there. When I came out, my car had been hit. WTF! Luckily, it looked like a big truck tire had rubbed up against my wheel, no body damage. I was able to polish most of it out.
Old 03-28-23, 01:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I absolutely hate when people use wheel spacers or rims with large negative offsets. It looks so ugly to begin with, in addition with being ridiculously unsafe.

People who find this appealing were not beaten enough as youth.

Old 03-28-23, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally agree with you!

Quick Reply: The dumb drivers thread