Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The dumb drivers thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-23, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Pretty convenient if it died right there in line with the spaces on either side lol. I'm headed out in a little bit, we'll see if its still there.
Old 02-13-23, 01:24 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Darwin has subscribed to this channel.
Old 02-13-23, 01:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thought this might be fun, post pictures and videos of things you have seen dumb drivers do. YouTube postings are also welcome...

This was in my office parking garage this morning. This person parked their Highlander in the middle of the travel lanes next to at least 6 No Parking signs. It has been there since 7:30 when the garage was totally empty. They have sent out multiple emails trying to find out who's car it is. You can see the remainder of what used to be a parking line next to them, but when you are there this is clearly a travel lane, he is parked right under the directional signs for office suites etc

Surprised the car is not towed.
Old 02-13-23, 01:50 PM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Last edited by MDlexus; 02-13-23 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-13-23, 02:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hilarious!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Surprised the car is not towed.
It was gone this afternoon...not sure if the owner came out or if it was towed...
Old 02-14-23, 01:53 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There's only a few instances in my eyes where people are dumb drivers.

1. Following too closely, which leads to a rear end.
2. Not letting people merge.
3. Not maintaining the car so that it breaks down on the road.

Everything else I can careless for.
Old 02-14-23, 05:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x

Probably the most widespread dumb-driver actions I see every day are.............First, chronic cell-phone use while driving, and, Second, breezing through Right-Turns-on-Red without stopping, sometimes just barely slowing down with a brief tap on the brakes.
Old 02-14-23, 06:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I am continuously amazed at the number of people who drive around at night with their lights completely off (not even DRLs). Some days it's as much as 15%.
Old 02-14-23, 06:01 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Probably the most widespread dumb-driver actions I see every day are.............First, chronic cell-phone use while driving, and, Second, breezing through Right-Turns-on-Red without stopping, sometimes just barely slowing down with a brief tap on the brakes.
I would say that the most wide-spread dumb driver activity is driving at night without headlights on. And I don't mean just before or after dusk - I mean when it is seriously dark. I see it virtually every day.

Originally Posted by geko29
I am continuously amazed at the number of people who drive around at night with their lights completely off (not even DRLs). Some days it's as much as 15%.
Oh you beat me to it. I'm dumbfounded when I see this. On dark suburban streets where the street lights are 1/4 mile apart, or more. These idiots must think that their car has the worst headlights ever. Even flashing my headlights and honking at them has no effect sometimes. I've literally driven behind people like this for miles on end, and they have no clue.
Old 02-14-23, 07:50 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I would agree with this and see it way too often. A friend of mine years ago got pulled over for this while I was with him and it always stuck with me to ensure that I completely stop at right turns on red.
Old 02-14-23, 07:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

chronic cell-phone use while driving.
What boggles my mind with this one.... the sheer number of people that do not use Bluetooth capability in their cars. I see people holding and talking into their phones in cars that I know have BT. Do they not know? Can they not figure out how to pair the phone (jeez--just ask your kids for Pete's sake)? You do not have to be technically inclined to do this.... When my mom got a new car, I told her to make sure the salesman paired her phone before she left the dealer for this exact reason.
Old 02-14-23, 08:03 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
What boggles my mind with this one.... the sheer number of people that do not use Bluetooth capability in their cars. I see people holding and talking into their phones in cars that I know have BT. Do they not know? Can they not figure out how to pair the phone (jeez--just ask your kids for Pete's sake)? You do not have to be technically inclined to do this.... When my mom got a new car, I told her to make sure the salesman paired her phone before she left the dealer for this exact reason.
That is a really good one that drives me crazy too. It's always a newer car that definitely has bluetooth in it so it never makes any sense to me.

The other one is where someone is talking or texting on the phone and regardless of whether they are in the right lane, they are going 10 mph under the speed limit with no cares in the world about holding up all of the traffic behind them.
Old 02-14-23, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So parking in the middle of the road is a-okay?
Old 02-14-23, 11:02 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

On #2 above the one thing that drives me crazy are people that are going to slow to merge and don't feel the need to get up to speed but then seem to not understand why they have a hard time merging. Whether I am in the lane where someone is merging or I am behind a slow car like that merging on a highway it drives me crazy. When I am behind a car like this I say to myself, this person is going to get me killed.

One more thing that drives me crazy is I've been in an Uber/Lyft to and from the airport and a couple of times on very fast highways where the minimum speed people are going is 70 when the speed limit is 65 and my driver is going 55. As the cars were going by and around us I thought we were going to get crushed.
Old 02-14-23, 11:11 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo, those things can be done safely, especially not coming to a full stop. Its more efficient to slow down and speed up again if its safe to do so. If you use the cell phone while driving, you have to leave a lot of room ahead. The main issue is following too closely. But yea using phone while driving is not recommended lol even for seasoned drivers.

Ticketing people for non dangerous actions isn't intelligent imo. You have to discern the severity and safety of the action at that moment in time. For example, why give someone a ticket for speeding if the road is clear miles up ahead and they never caused an accident. Giving them a ticket to prevent something that didnt happen(such as an accident) doesn't make sense. You should be ticketed if you almost caused an accident.

Last edited by xGS350x; 02-14-23 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: The dumb drivers thread